Recording CD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's no big deal, it just works :) Modern surround-sound amps/home cinema systems generally have HDMI inputs. (Some only have HDMI). Choose one of them and connect it to the HDMI output of the PC. Make sure the PC audio output is routed to the HDMI port and the corresponding input selected on the amp. The audio will be played via the surround sound system. I use Ubuntu and it works fine with Audacity and the VLC player.

If the PC has no HDMI output then you need to install one. Just to confuse things HDMI ports are generally on graphics cards although in this case you want to use it for audio.

Thank you for this information. It is eye opening.

Regards

You could also try the CD-4 decode in software now, Just do a good stereo rip with a CD-4 capable cart. Then read through the thread a few down from this one. I'm hoping that that will be a good solution eventually and is already for clean albums. For playback maybe those Involve guys will get around to doing their version of a Lou Dorren.

I use a Behringer 404 with Audacity. You just need to tell Audacity to record four channels in the drop-down box and make sure the 404 is selected as input device. The rest happens automatically.
Well I purchased a 404. I have the Audio Technica going to the 9001 in CD-4 mode. I connected the output of the 9001 to the four microphone ports on the 404. The 404 is plugged into a USB port on my computer. I can only get Audacity to record in two track mode. The only way Audacity will record at all is on MME setting. If I use Windows wave and 404 microphone input it will show 4 tracks in the drop down box however Audacity gives me an "error opening sound device" when I try to record and it only shows 2 tracks. So I am stuck at this point. What settings do yo use in Audacity to get it to record in 4 channel mode?
Update. I didnt know you needed drivers for the 404. Now after loading the drivers I get more options in the drop down. Problem is it only allows me to pick Behringer 1/2 OR Behringer 3/4.
Sigh

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
I use Ubuntu so I can't tell you what Windows does. My Audacity version is 2.2.1. I have ALSA selected as audio host. I select the 404 from the recording device drop-down. If it's not available then you can rescan audio devices under "transport". Then select the 404 and wait a few seconds until it gets configured. Select 4 recording channels. Maybe someone here uses Windows and can give better advice.

I don't own the 404, so someone who owns the 404 with Windows can give a better answer, but with other soundcards or boxes, I've had to change the sound setting to Multi-Channel from stereo in the Windows control panel. Sometimes there are "drivers" to download so that Windows recognizes a certain unit or card.

Edit: This might help:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/behringer-audio-interface-setup-guide/
Also, this Google search:
https://www.google.com/search?clien....970.6j4......0....1.........0i71.sB3CEvu_Fw8
If one looks at the beginning of the video, you can see how to configure for Windows 10. At least one way to do it:

I don't own the 404, so someone who owns the 404 with Windows can give a better answer, but with other soundcards or boxes, I've had to change the sound setting to Multi-Channel from stereo in the Windows control panel. Sometimes there are "drivers" to download so that Windows recognizes a certain unit or card.

Edit: This might help:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/behringer-audio-interface-setup-guide/
Also, this Google search:
https://www.google.com/search?clien....970.6j4......0....1.........0i71.sB3CEvu_Fw8
If one looks at the beginning of the video, you can see how to configure for Windows 10. At least one way to do it:

Thanks, I have seen all of them. They dont address my problem. When they are configuring Audacity they are using Behringer line in (singular). Now that I have installed the drivers Audacity has Behrigenr line in 1/2 OR 3/4 not just one selection. This must be a driver problem. I am going to start over without the drivers and add one at a time.

Thanks, I have seen all of them. They dont address my problem. When they are configuring Audacity they are using Behringer line in (singular). Now that I have installed the drivers Audacity has Behrigenr line in 1/2 OR 3/4 not just one selection. This must be a driver problem. I am going to start over without the drivers and add one at a time.

Also handy to have the Device Toolbar option selected, so can easily switch from different sources/needs. But yes, sounds like just getting the proper drivers installed.:unsure: I will need similar settings once I have purchased a MOTU I'm pretty sure. May depend also on if the drivers are supported by the operating system i.e. Win. 7,8, 10 etc.

device toolbar.jpg

Not exactly CD-4 here, but the same general concept/input; and with CD-4 hopefully in my near future was hoping to get this figured out.

Hooked up my new MOTU UltraLitemk4 via USB 2.0 with my Win. 7 Pro. computer to record with Audacity for 4.0. Input to the MOTU is 4.0 from the Involve Surround Master v2. All configuration and channel mapping seems correct, but Audacity refuses to record in more than two channels. The Windows WASAPI sound drivers are utilized as the others don't support multi-channel. Eventually was able to record, but had to go to Adobe Audition 3. I know others here have this problem with Windows; also I know Adam / fredblue uses Apple MacMini and can achieve 4.0 recordings with Audacity.

As an extra exasperation here is the technical babble that Microsoft gives you about WASAPI:

The Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) enables client applications to manage the flow of audio data between the application and an audio endpoint device.

Header files Audioclient.h and Audiopolicy.h define the WASAPI interfaces.

Every audio stream is a member of an audio session. Through the session abstraction, a WASAPI client can identify an audio stream as a member of a group of related audio streams. The system can manage all of the streams in the session as a single unit.

The audio engine is the user-mode audio component through which applications share access to an audio endpoint device. The audio engine transports audio data between an endpoint buffer and an endpoint device. To play an audio stream through a rendering endpoint device, an application periodically writes audio data to a rendering endpoint buffer. The audio engine mixes the streams from the various applications. To record an audio stream from a capture endpoint device, an application periodically reads audio data from a capture endpoint buffer.

WASAPI consists of several interfaces. The first of these is the IAudioClient interface. To access the WASAPI interfaces, a client first obtains a reference to the IAudioClient interface of an audio endpoint device by calling the IMMDevice::Activate method with parameter iid set to REFIID IID_IAudioClient. The client calls the IAudioClient::Initialize method to initialize a stream on an endpoint device. After initializing a stream, the client can obtain references to the other WASAPI interfaces by calling the IAudioClient::GetService method.

Many of the methods in WASAPI return error code AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED if the audio endpoint device that a client application is using becomes invalid. Frequently, the application can recover from this error. For more information, see Recovering from an Invalid-Device Error.

Error indeed- I think I just tilted 😬

Last edited:
Not exactly CD-4 here, but the same general concept/input; and with CD-4 hopefully in my near future was hoping to get this figured out.

Hooked up my new MOTU UltraLitemk4 via USB 2.0 with my Win. 7 Pro. computer to record with Audacity for 4.0. Input to the MOTU is 4.0 from the Involve Surround Master v2. All configuration and channel mapping seems correct, but Audacity refuses to record in more than two channels. The Windows WASPAI sound drivers are utilized as the others don't support multi-channel. Eventually was able to record, but had to go to Adobe Audition 3. I know others here have this problem with Windows; also I know Adam / fredblue uses Apple MacMini and can achieve 4.0 recordings with Audacity.

As an extra exasperation here is the technical babble that Microsoft gives you about WASAPI:

The Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) enables client applications to manage the flow of audio data between the application and an audio endpoint device.

Every audio stream is a member of an audio session. Through the session abstraction, a WASAPI client can identify an audio stream as a member of a group of related audio streams. The system can manage all of the streams in the session as a single unit.

The audio engine is the user-mode audio component through which applications share access to an audio endpoint device. The audio engine transports audio data between an endpoint buffer and an endpoint device. To play an audio stream through a rendering endpoint device, an application periodically writes audio data to a rendering endpoint buffer. The audio engine mixes the streams from the various applications. To record an audio stream from a capture endpoint device, an application periodically reads audio data from a capture endpoint buffer.

WASAPI consists of several interfaces. The first of these is the IAudioClient interface. To access the WASAPI interfaces, a client first obtains a reference to the IAudioClient interface of an audio endpoint device by calling the IMMDevice::Activate method with parameter iid set to REFIID IID_IAudioClient. The client calls the IAudioClient::Initialize method to initialize a stream on an endpoint device. After initializing a stream, the client can obtain references to the other WASAPI interfaces by calling the IAudioClient::GetService method.

Many of the methods in WASAPI return error code AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_INVALIDATED if the audio endpoint device that a client application is using becomes invalid. Frequently, the application can recover from this error. For more information, see Recovering from an Invalid-Device Error.

I must have toppled rather than tilted I read WASAPI as WASABI!!

Hooked up my new MOTU UltraLitemk4 via USB 2.0 with my Win. 7 Pro. computer to record with Audacity for 4.0. Input to the MOTU is 4.0 from the Involve Surround Master v2. All configuration and channel mapping seems correct, but Audacity refuses to record in more than two channels. The Windows WASAPI sound drivers are utilized as the others don't support multi-channel. Eventually was able to record, but had to go to Adobe Audition 3. I know others here have this problem with Windows; also I know Adam / fredblue uses Apple MacMini and can achieve 4.0 recordings with Audacity.

The MOTU UltraLite mk4 looks just like what I'm after for hooking up the NUC to the SM2!

Rather than Audacity have you tried the AudioDesk software it says comes with it?
1568842345779.png

I must have toppled rather than tilted I read WASAPI as WASABI!!
Had to correct a spelling, but it wasn't WASABI - that would be a real ass burner instead :unsure:
Think I need to just hunker down and learn more about AA3 also; it seems to be a more polished and pro. looking software. Although I did have to load a flac filter add on to get it to see flac files; even it's getting long in the tooth maybe.

I tried loading the AudioDesk software and it was slow as hell to load, and the first time I tried opening it, it wouldn't open due to some missing or unsupported files like dll or such. Not a very auspicious start, so I dumped it. :)

For now I'll just stick to AA3 & Audacity. If you order from Sweetwater, they seem to be eager to help with problems, which I may take advantage of if need be at a later time.

Back