Recording, saving and playing back Quadraphonic Media

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recorded most of my vinyl with a normal Amp. All CD-4 were noisy, destroyed. Later I got the idea what I recorded: the carrier.
My Compi has only 2 ch input, so I can't record 4ch as with my tape (now the heads are down) and externe like Tascam etc. were not available at that time.
Recording the native CD-4 is very easy: solder a wire (2 of course) after the RIAA pre amp, before the low pass filter. A very stable signal, good to edit.
Luckly my old XP compi could record up to 192/24. Win7 and later is blocking this. Now it's only possible with extern analog to USB recorders like Tascam etc.
You can also do a needle drop, as most do it, record the tiny signal that comes from the magnet system. I stopt that when I heard neighbors telefone in the recording.

For play back you can use the same wire, but you have to cut the connections to the RIAA pre amp. A little switch will re-connect it for recording (so you have now 4 wires connected at the switch.
Play back from compi, DVD or better a media player. If it don't work - disconnect the HDMI, the handshake with the TV will limit the players output to 20kHz or so (use RGB).

(CD-4 carrier is a frequency stable 30kHz signal, you will see it in Audacity)
In regards 192/24, I don't do any actual recording but I work in Audition at 192/24-32 sometimes. (Windows 11 Pro)

to make it short:
record the normal out in 4ch (4.0) uncompressed (flac/wav) in 44/48kHz 24bit with a 4ch to USB box.
From that you can make everything: cleaning, editing and bring it up to 5.1 with software.

Better watch out for a good media player - so you don't have to jump off for changing to your next song.

I use my old 4ch amp's (JVC) for the normal 4ch and added a cheap amp for the center with a cheap speaker (it's normally only for voice), and a good amp for the Sub.
Look for 24V, my Sub amp comes with that power supply and can also support the center. Sub amp should have a normal volumen and also a frequency regulator.
For my both cheap bodyshakers 100W will be more than enough. (2 bodyshakers and a 300cm Bass speaker which is reduced with 250 Ohm in sofa.) Fosi (TP-02 80,-) is my favorite. (got also a cheaper one, burns out after 3 weeks, price is now reduced from 50,- to 20,-)...

Don't hesitate to ask me - better than wasting a lot of time and money

I mean: maybe you can record full CD-4 on a normal amp (like my toshiba 404)! Give the recording to a friend with a good CD-4 demod to make a good 4ch recording

Last edited:
/32 is a floating? not accepted by all players.
192/24 gives a fine sinus up to 40kHz
be careful with the floating ...
Not for playback (except in Audition) just for working with files. Audition will turn everything into 32 float in the working environment as a rule it seems. You can elect to save in whatever sample rate/bit depth you like.
Besides like I say I don't try to record CD-4. :)
I only have a few left from my Quad days anyway.

Appreciate all the recommendations! I'll try to catch up on this thread over the weekend. I work 8-5 and have been going to all of the concerts included in my lawn pass at night, 8 amphitheater shows in 9 nights! I've managed to be on the floor between row 3 and 10 for four shows so far by using the seat upgrades, and I'm getting about 10-15k steps per show in the span of 3 - 4 hours. I'm pretty wore out!
1689879220219.png

Appreciate all the recommendations! I'll try to catch up on this thread over the weekend. I work 8-5 and have been going to all of the concerts included in my lawn pass at night, 8 amphitheater shows in 9 nights! I've managed to be on the floor between row 3 and 10 for four shows so far by using the seat upgrades, and I'm getting about 10-15k steps per show in the span of 3 - 4 hours. I'm pretty wore out! View attachment 94068
???????

Back