Quad LP/Tape Poll Redbone: Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate 'Beaded Dreams'

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Epic EQ 33053, from 1974.

Side 1:

1. One More Time
2. Suzi Girl
3. Only You and Rock and Roll
4. Blood, Sweat and Tears
5. Cookin' With D'Redbone

Side 2:

1. (Beaded Dreams Through) Turquoise Eyes
2. Beautiful Illusion
3. Interstate Highway 101
4. I'll Never Stop Loving You
5. Moon When Fou

ED :)

Really? I have to go against that. I think the mix on this tape is much more satisfying and logical than "Message", "Message" being one of those early Quads where it's something over here, something over there, something god knows where don't ask me why! I often wondered why everybody put down this album and granted, even I questioned why over say.... Wovoka, which featured their biggest known hit. But after getting a minty copy of the Q8, I freakin' LOVE this album! Every song is a solid mover with a strong beat. Sure, it's a little more commercial, but I don't know if I'd even call it that. It's just all around, good ol' boy, git down, have a good time, belly-rubbin' Red Skinned Funk! I do miss Pete being on drums, but I also feel they didn't let him run wild on "Message" either so, I can't argue with myself there. If you'd seen/heard Pete play Live, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Either way, I support this album. Good, Solid mix with a couple playful 'around-the-world' gee-gaws, but nothing overblown or annoying. There is some playful call-and-response vocal work going on that I like. Good playing, decent songs, good mix. Me rikey velly much. ;)

I'm with Linda on this one. I've listened to Message about a couple of hundred times on the old Q8 and I love the feel of it. Just a good atmosphere. Beaded Dreams I've listened to like once.

ken

Aww, give this one another spin! Tracks like "Cookin' wit da Redbone" and "Interstate Highway 101" are solid! Classic rock n' roll, simple lyrics that I betcha that later on in the day you'll be humming them.

@Q-Eight is absolutely right that this quad mix is far better than that of Message From A Drum. Comparing the two really shows how much more skilling at quad mixing CBS' staff engineers had become in the span of a few years. All the songs have the drum kit mixed in stereo across the front channels, lead vocal and bass guitar in the center, and elements like rhythm guitars, keyboard, piano, strings, percussion, and backing vocals in the rear speakers. There's even a few fun around-the-room pans - during the title track, the echo on the word "turquoise" in the chorus ping-pongs around the four speakers.

Musically--as has been mentioned before--this is one of those flop albums mixed to quad that followed a hit (in this case, 1973's Wovoka which featured "Come and Get Your Love"). There's a few catchy songs here, but overall I found the whole thing kind of bland. I miss the sort of off-kilter indian/voodoo atmosphere (for lack of a better term) from Message - this just seems a bit too straightforward in comparison.

Overall, I'd say fabulous quad mix, 'meh' album. Voting a 7.

Last edited:
Ha, well I’m enjoying this album. Starts off really well with the first few songs. It does have a bit of a lull (musically) just after the title song on side B, but the quad mix is really good!

I’d give the album a 7 but the quad mix a 9+.

Therefore going with an 8. 😎

And whats more let Michael Dutton mix their hit Come and Get Your Love into quad for a bonus track.

Back