HiRez Poll Reddy, Helen - I AM WOMAN & LONG HARD CLIMB [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Helen Reddy - I AM WOMAN & LONG HARD CLIMB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 Multichannel SACD release from Dutton Vocalion of the Helen Reddy albums "I Am Woman" and "Long Hard Climb".

I Am Woman
LP ST-11068 (1972) STEREO
Q8W-11068 QUADRAPHONIC
1: Peaceful (Rankin)
2: I Am Woman (Reddy; Burton)
3: This Masquerade (Russell)
4: I Didn’t Mean to Love You (Butler; Philipp)
5: Where is My Friend (Scott; Meehan)
6: And I Love You So (McLean)
8: Where is the Love (MacDonald; Salter)
9: Hit the Road, Jack (Mayfield)
10: The Last Blues Song (Mann; Weil)

Long Hard Climb
LP SMAS-11213 (1973) STEREO
Q8W-11213 QUADRAPHONIC
11: Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress) (Laurie)
12: Lovin’ You (Sebastian)
13: A Bit O.K. (Sager; Allen)
14: Don’t Mess with a Woman (Moan; R & M Curtis)
15: Delta Dawn (Harvey; Collins)
16: The West Wind Circus (Miller)
17: If We Could Still Be Friends (Williams)
18: Long Hard Climb (Davies)
19: Until it’s Time for You to Go (Sainte-Marie)
20: The Old Fashioned Way (Garvarentz; Aznavour; Kasha; Hirschhorn)

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton

Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

CDLK4627

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I voted an 8. My vote is more of a gut reaction, not really breaking down content and fidelity. I mean, did we think these titles would have killer fidelity? What about content? I have a soft spot for HR, so that comes into play. The cool thing is, her voice is sort of just floating out there...hard to say where it's coming from. I dig it. You either like this sort of stuff or you don't. If you don't, I wouldn't expect you to buy it and vote. I mean........this is fun and nostalgic. :)

I voted an 8. My vote is more of a gut reaction, not really breaking down content and fidelity. I mean, did we think these titles would have killer fidelity? What about content? I have a soft spot for HR, so that comes into play. The cool thing is, her voice is sort of just floating out there...hard to say where it's coming from. I dig it. You either like this sort of stuff or you don't. If you don't, I wouldn't expect you to buy it and vote. I mean........this is fun and nostalgic. :)
$15.66 for two hi-res quad albums, two hi-res stereo versions and two red book CD versions. So if it turns out one only likes a couple of songs or none at all, then one hasn’t shelled out much for this “gamble.” I play a song or two once in a blue moon...It’s rather decent Adult Contemporary pop.

I was never a fan of her woman's lib anthem "I Am Woman", but it seems much more palatable with a surround mix than it did on AM radio. Overall I preferred "Long Hard Climb" over "I Am Woman", the hit "Leave Me Alone Ruby Red Dress" stands out. The disc's soft rock style is not dissimilar to the Carpenters or Carole King. Sound wise and mix wise it's fantastic. The first album while seemingly has a bit sparser instrumentation still creates a great sense of space, the second is quite immersive.

Back