DVD/DTS Poll Reflection Club - STILL THICK AS A BRICK [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Reflection Club - STILL THICK AS A BRICK

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 release from Reflection Club entitled "Still Thick As A Brick".
The CD/DVD edition includes a 5.1 surround mix of the album by Lutz Meinert.

(y):)(n)

a3131609502_10.jpg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/thick-as-a-brick-3.30146/

I gave it a 9 mainly because it's not really Ian and it makes me feel a little strange. Also the SQ is very good but not exactly a 10.
YMMV

I received this release yesterday and played it through today. This is as good as it gets for an old Tull fan. It's new music in vintage Tull style. Definitely not a remake. It could easily be confused as a true JT release from back in the day. It is an astounding impersonation of early 70s Ian Anderson on vocals. They even get the unique phrasing down pat. The guitar work could easily be mistaken for Martin Barre. There are even Tullesque keyboards and some exotic instruments. I love the xylophone. The concept is updated for this decade. The passages tackle subjects like commercialization, sex, small town life, and the modern virtual world. If you like TAAB, even some, this album is a must have. It's a very unique and tremendous experience to play this disk.

Some of my thoughts...

It's well put together. Like TAAB, it is packaged with a back story and a newspaper of sorts (the Rollington Stone), which discusses the local music scene. At first I was cursing the small type, only to find that all the text appears again toward the end of the book in larger type. Definitely geared to geezers. Nice.

There is a slide show that accompanies the music and is timed to it. At times it is quite effective in illustrating the story line. Lots of times it is just shots of instruments. You can watch it with the lyrics displayed as subtitles. In several different languages. It all works great.

The mix is near incredible. Discreteness in spades. There is some whirling and ping pong,. But it's all in service to the music. You won't be bored with this one. The mixer should consider mixing more in surround.

It may not be the last word in sonics, but it's no slouch either. Play it loud. It's a very clean recording. In 24/48 Dolby or DTS. It's very worthy.

Comes as a CD + DVD. I'm not sure why yet, but I also got a separately packaged DVD that I think is identical to the one in the set. Maybe different video standard?

This gets a 10 fro me. It's that good. At $21 + $17 shipping. It's a steal. Unfortunately. When last I saw, It is no longer available. Maybe they will get more? I'm glad I got mine when I did.

Last edited:
This gets a 10 fro me. It's that good. At $21 + $17 shipping. It's a steal. Unfortunately. When last I saw, It is no longer available. Maybe they will get more? I'm glad I got mine when I did.
I completely agree.
I just wonder what we would be saying if it sucked musically?
"Get a rope and hang them for pretending to be JT" ? LOL

Due to the recent chat about this release I though I should see if I could secure a copy, a brand new copy was found on Discogs Marketplace for the paltry sum of £22.00 including postage, I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying my first listen to the DTS 5.1, the mix is great, the fidelity wonderful and the content fantastic. I haven't looked at the book yet but I know enough already to award this with a 10 in the poll. Recommended.

For those stil looking for copies of the Reflection Club "Still Thick as a Brick", please see the various links at the bottom of my review I wrote a couple of years ago. It seems they all are still active, meaning this excellent release is readily available in multiple markets.
https://hiresedition.com/review/progressive-rock/reflection-club-still-thick-as-a-brick.html
I just ordered … The preview on bandcamp is really good, and thanks to all for comments

I read somewhere that this is PAL encoded. My player won’t play PAL discs, so this is a major factor in whether or not I will purchase this release. Thanks for any info!

I read somewhere that this is PAL encoded. My player won’t play PAL discs, so this is a major factor in whether or not I will purchase this release. Thanks for any info!
I ordered it from Amazon in February of this year and the seller (Madvedge) actually provided an ISO copy with the purchase. It was great, I extracted the multichannel files and loaded them into Roon. I never even unwrapped the sealed item since I was able to use the ISO and had no problem. I hope that helps. I believe they are still the seller if you decide to go through Amazon US.

I ordered it from Amazon in February of this year and the seller (Madvedge) actually provided an ISO copy with the purchase. It was great, I extracted the multichannel files and loaded them into Roon. I never even unwrapped the sealed item since I was able to use the ISO and had no problem. I hope that helps. I believe they are still the seller if you decide to go through Amazon US.
I should add that the ISO file was provided as a download with the purchase.

As noted above... on Amazon US site: ATTENTION: The DVD currently enclosed with the Mediabook uses the PAL process and cannot be played in America and Canada by American players that only use the NTSC process. The CD is not affected by this. However, all buyers of the Mediabook can get a download the NTSC DVD image. All you have to do is to send us the Amazon order number.

Back