HiRez Poll Refused - THE SHAPE OF PUNK TO COME [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Refused - THE SHAPE OF PUNK TO COME

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thougths and comments on this disc. (y):phones(n)

When the musician are playing, I like the music. Surround mix is OK with me. Then the singer opens his mouth, very wide and very loud. It's not singing, it's screaming, and not pleasant to listen to.

Musicians 8, surround 7, singer 0.

vinylguy4

There are a few songs here that I can tolerate, but mostly it's either just not "good enough" or "mainstream enough" to recommend in general. Some folks might like it, though, if they're into lots of screaming and loud-soft-loud guitars. The song "Liberation Frequency" makes good use of surrounds, with percussion in the rears and vocals primarily up front, with guitars in both the front and back. More songs: "Deadly Rhythm', "Summer Holidays vs Punk Routine", and "Bruitist Pome #5" also sound nice and full in surround. The rest of the album tracks either didn't impress me very much with their surround prowess, and/or else I just didn't like the music period. So I voted this one a 7, but this might be somewhat generous.

Someone here recommended this title in a Linkin Park Reanimation thread, so I made the purchase. I would have liked the content if the stupid lead screamer was a singer and not a screamer. The band seems to have their shiat together. The singer on the otherhand should be taken out back behind the shed.

Wow. Extreme bias going on here. This is great stuff if you're in to hardcore.
Absolutely discrete use of surrounds. Good mastering. Mega clarity. Remember, you can always audition in lo-res, often for free, to determine if you like the content. This is an awesome representation of the material.
If it's too loud, you're too old...
Interesting booklet too.

Absolutely discrete use of surrounds. Good mastering. Mega clarity. Remember, you can always audition in lo-res, often for free, to determine if you like the content. This is an awesome representation of the material.
Interesting booklet too.

I've always been a little disappointed that this album doesn't have a better reputation around here, because I think it's fantastic (although, I'm definitely biased, too; I've loved this album since I first bought the CD at 14 years old...). The surround mix, the sound quality - everything is top-notch. This is one AGGRESSIVE surround mix! My only gripe is they re-arranged/changed some of the tracks (only one or two tracks) - off the top of my head, the only specific track I can recall being significantly different from the CD is "Refused Are Fucking Dead." And it's a shame too; ...Fukcing Dead was one of my favorite tracks from the CD and I had huge expectations for this song the first time I heard it in surround, but what they did to it on the DVDA just isn't good... Aside from that, this is a nearly flawless release, and can usually be found DIRT CHEAP.

I'm knocking off one point for butchering one of the best songs from the album... I'm going with a 9.

Ah, good to know I'm not crazy. Sorry about your experience with "are Fuckin Dead."
I can tell you, from a fresh perspective, having not heard the cd, that track came off just fine.

I'd imagine, were I not already so intimately familiar with the original version, I would probably be fine with it. As is, it reminds me of one of those DJ remix versions of some popular song, which sometimes can be fun, but usually just makes you wish you were listening to the original...

Anyway, still good stuff overall. And the beginning of Tannhauser/Derive, with the cello and the drums - SOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOL... This sounds SO GOOD in surround. Nearly worth the price alone for just that two minute section.

Interesting booklet too.

I want to thank you and van kulper for posting about this one, I give this one a 9.
Good think my hearing is going as I am old so its not to loud for me, this disk is a real adrenaline rush, it is fun to crank it. Some great musicianship on this one, really surprised me, did not know anything about this band.
Yes about 80% of the singing is the screaming kind of vocals, its not my favorite style but it is appropriate for the music being played, it does fit together.
Some of the intros to songs are very cool and this disk is discreet and can be bought for a very cheap price.
I first ordered this from importcds but they sent me the cd only so be warned about that as had to go through hassle of sending back did get my money back and then ordered again from this supplier who had it and it was brand new for all of 5.50, what a deal.
Here is where I ordered from reseller: surplus_discs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...dvd_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

I want to thank you and van kulper for posting about this one, I give this one a 9.
Good think my hearing is going as I am old so its not to loud for me, this disk is a real adrenaline rush, it is fun to crank it. Some great musicianship on this one, really surprised me, did not know anything about this band.
Yes about 80% of the singing is the screaming kind of vocals, its not my favorite style but it is appropriate for the music being played, it does fit together.
Some of the intros to songs are very cool and this disk is discreet and can be bought for a very cheap price.
I first ordered this from importcds but they sent me the cd only so be warned about that as had to go through hassle of sending back did get my money back and then ordered again from this supplier who had it and it was brand new for all of 5.50, what a deal.
Here is where I ordered from reseller: surplus_discs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...dvd_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

haha - thanks man. I went ahead and ordered one as well. Less than $6 shipped...works for me.

I'm glad you enjoyed it PZ; it's a gem of a disc from a genre that is very under-represented surround-wise. I hope more people giver it a chance and come around to it.

10. Extremely creative, ambitious, wild, prophetic, detailed, diverse. I consider this album important from a musical history perspective. The surround mix is fantastic, immersive, discreet, and dynamic. It's difficult to describe the music, but Refused started as a hardcore band (from Sweden) and while this album does include a lot of hardcore, screaming, etc - it also has a LOT of jazz, electronic, metal, found-sound, and folk elements. While the screaming is certainly not for everyone, it's done very well and there are also many, many sections with singing, and talking. Very diverse. For me, it sits perfectly in the mix. I liked the changes on two songs, and loved the changes from stereo to surround throughout. My only small complaint is the drums. I wish they were more dry in general but that's personal preference.

The mix is nearly as active as Flaming Lips' Yoshimi, a bit less swirling around - but vocals and guitars are often popping up only in the rears for sections. There is a LOT going on. Very fun for being very serious lyrically. As mentioned, very cheap to find used and absolutely worth taking a chance on. The creativity, ambition, and hope on this album is really striking to me now. This was the end of one era before everything changed.

I bought this when it first came out in 2004 and loved it then, but hadn’t given it a spin in ages. The recent pro comments drove me to give it a listen today. Man, this is killer stuff with a great and very discrete surround mix.

Even if screaming vocals aren’t you’re thing, this is recommended to any surround enthusiast.

I vote a high 9.

I 'revisited' this album last night and was absolutely WOWED by the audiophile nature of this recording. Surround~wise, I really don't think either Elliot Scheiner or Steve Wilson could've done a better remixing job. Whether PUNK is your cup o' tea, it's well worth a listen. In any case, it IS a real trippy recording.

Still available [rather cheaply] from AmazonUS: https://www.amazon.com/Shape-Punk-C...rds=Refused:+Shape+of+Pu8nk+to+come+DVD~Audio

Not exactly my genre,,but I'm more open to all sorts of music these days. This takes a bit of getting used to but ooh them speakers are almost in surround heaven.

Popshop hits the right notes with his reviews...imo
Along with other folks positive comments.
(don't wanna show bias)

But my speakers sure do!!

I'll give it 9.

Interesting booklet too.
WELL SAID, WELL SAID MY MAN.

Didn't wanna say something like that but uhhhh you did the work for me. This is a killer hardcore punk release. The surround mix here is absolutely fantastic too. Loud and raw as hell. I'm lovin it.

Easily the best punk/hardcore release we've got in surround, absolutely essential for any fans of that style of music. This is also one of the best punk albums in general.

Back