Reliving the Quad Era on SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
One of the interesting things happening on some of Sony Music's Multichannel SACD releases is that they are in some cases using the Original Analog Discrete Quad Master Tapes to create these SACDs.

In fact, on the SACDs of "Ship Ahoy" by the O' Jays and "3+3" by the Isley Brothers, the credits on the back of the SACD tells you that the 5.1 mix has been created from these master tapes and respects the original quad mix.

So I'd recommend picking up a copy of Ship Ahoy on Multichannel SACD if you don't already own it. Wonderful !

Wow, they actually acknowledge the vintage quad days! Amazing. I have to get this SACD capability soon.....

:-jon

They definitely do! On both the O' Jays "Ship Ahoy" and Isley Brothers 3+3 Multichannel SACDs.

The SACD credits on the O'Jays disc back cover says:

"The 5.1 mix has been remastered and adapted from the original quadraphonic analogue tapes, respecting and maintaining the original surround imaging. Original Surround Mixes by Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff at Sigma Sound Studios, Philadelphia, PA. 5.1 Surround Remix Produced by Al Quaglieri"

Although I haven't found the Isley Bros yet, I did pick up the O'Jays on Sat and it is a very well done disc. Now If I could just find the new Carole King.

The new Carole King "Tapestry" shouldn't be too hard to find.

Here in Silicon Valley, some of the Tower Records stores have it. And Fry's Electronics is selling it for only $16.99.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Fry's here and I ablsolutely refuse to buy from Tower unless they put it on sale. Their prices are just a bit to high on both SACD and DVD-A.

Well, there's always the web outlets like Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct and Elusive Disc.

They offer the Sony SACDs starting at $17.99 each.

Back