Remaining Elton John 5.1 SACD Mixes, Will They Be Released?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerman37

Hi everyone,

I am new to the board so please forgive me if this has been answered before, but...I realize SACD releases seem to be at a standstill (well, other than a bunch of Classical SACDS that seem to keep coming out), but.....has anyone any information on what were supposed to be the next round of Elton John SACDS that Greg Penny was mixing? He was mixing Dont Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player, Caribou, Rock Of The Westies, Blue Moves, and possibly one more, and even posted a reply on the Crazywater board some time back regarding the progress and extra tracks he was including on the SACD rereleases ("Ducktail Jiver", a previously unreleased track was included on the Caribou reissue, and he was also including Step Into Christmas on one as well)........now, its been quite awhile without any info whatsoever. Those other Elton SACDS are unreal - it would be a shame to have this sitting on a shelf.

Any info?

I'm from Australia and were a long way behind the times as far as releases go, I was looking at getting a copy of 'Peachtree Road', is at as good as his earlier ones?

ticolours said:
I'm from Australia and were a long way behind the times as far as releases go, I was looking at getting a copy of 'Peachtree Road', is at as good as his earlier ones?

It's different than most of his earlier releases. I like it a lot.

Word has it there'll be more of his albums coming in 5.1[most of those already mentioned plus Here And There]probably before the year's out.[fingers crossed]

There is a guy on the Hoffman Forum, his handle is Captain Groovy. Real name is Jeff, I think.

He claims to be "helping along" the possible release of the titles already remastered and has been asking advice on formats.
There is a lot of talk about dts. I hope not....I'd rather hear them in SACD or DVD-A.

Don't know who he's talking to or what the chances are.
Despite his good intentions I'll believe it when I see it.

Towards the end of this thread: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=114197&highlight=elton+sacd

I'm concerned about titles first, format second. Would be nice to get a second wave of Elton MC's, but this is still more rumor than reality. If Jeff can manage to goose things along he'll sure have a lot of fans here! :D

ED :)

"Don’t Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player," "Caribou," "Rock Of The Westies" and "Blue Moves" are the missing links in our SACD collections of Elton John.

Why the heck release the titles they did, but not "Don’t Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player" or "Caribou" when they were supposedly already mixed, ready to go at the time? They skipped over the order of his 1970's releases by not releasing those titles. Why?

"The Bitch Is Back" in 5.1 would be killer, as well as "Rock Of The Westies" and "Blue Moves."

Last edited:
Word has it there'll be more of his albums coming in 5.1[most of those already mentioned plus Here And There]probably before the year's out.[fingers crossed]

Well, that would be quite a trick if he's planning to pay the advances of the Record Label and the Artist to license the material for a 5.1 disc on another label.

Love to see them finally arrive in 5.1 SACD. But it sounds like a long shot to me.

Shoot. I'd chip in to pay the costs to get some of these? Maybe we could take up a QQ fundraiser! :D

If there are EJ albums mixed in 5.1 that haven't been released, they should be released in similar packages to the RUSH Moving Pictures Deluxe Editions.
Maybe a hybrid SACD/DVD-Audio pacakge and a hybrid SACD/Blu-Ray package.

I'd love to hear Don't Shoot Me in 5.1!

I'd vote for Caribou in 5.1 SACD Surround Sound first. But they're all on my want list !

Don't Shoot Me and Caribou would be amazing. But I highly doubt it now.
You may have a better chance of seeing Don't Shoot Me as an SHM-SACD or a MoFi SACD
but they'll be in stereo only :(
Caribou... I doubt it.

Screen shot 2011-12-30 at 10.43.39 PM.jpg

Look at this!
This came from Greg Penny's website. http://www.flowerrecords.com/greg-penny/discography/
If Don't Shoot Me, Caribou, Rock of the Westies, and Blue Moves are listed, does that mean that they were completely mixed but never released?
If so, they need to be released! Why not have Universal partner up with Acoustic Sounds to make these available on SACD?

View attachment 4708

Look at this!
This came from Greg Penny's website. http://www.flowerrecords.com/greg-penny/discography/
If Don't Shoot Me, Caribou, Rock of the Westies, and Blue Moves are listed, does that mean that they were completely mixed but never released?
If so, they need to be released! Why not have Universal partner up with Acoustic Sounds to make these available on SACD?

That's possible. In fact, Chad Kassem at Acoustic Sounds label Analogue Productions has a deal to release a number of Universal Music Jazz Classics
on Stereo SACD. That is the source of the company's new "Sterling Sound" series SACDs from UMG Jazz.

Have you asked Chad & Acoustic Sounds about some Elton 5.1 SACDs yet?

The presence of these 4 titles does make sense, they did the complete first batch.
Just wonder why these 5.1 masters are sitting somewhere without a release. The EJ sacd had a good sale everywhere.

Back