Remaining Elton John 5.1 SACD Mixes, Will They Be Released?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a little too buff you say..!? well excuse me while i faint a little at his buffness (fan me Ralphie baby i've got the hot flushes!!) i'd "hand-pick" that hunk of manhood if i were Elton too, the dirty birdie's got an eye for the pocket rockets!! :ROFLMAO:

Don’t know about EJ... but a George once sang... finger in the socket- Rock it. Rock it.😗

a little too buff you say..!? well excuse me while i faint a little at his buffness (fan me Ralphie baby i've got the hot flushes!!) i'd "hand-pick" that hunk of manhood if i were Elton too, the dirty birdie's got an eye for the pocket rockets!! :ROFLMAO:

517S9ZK653L.jpg

Maybe we will get lucky and the excitement surrounding the release of Rocket Man will elicit the release of the back catalog, including the unreleased 5.1 mixes. There was certainly an uptick in the interest of Queen after Bohemian Rhapsody, but it didn't last very long.

These missing Elton's should have been the first batch of BluRay Audio discs UMe released when they started that program. It would have been a no-brainer for sure.

What they should do is put all of the 5.1 Elton's in a Quadio-type box of BluRay Audios and market it as a compliment to the new film. But will they?

NO WAY

indeed Ralphiepie.. especially now the EJ SACDs are definitively oop and starting to fetch a pretty penny on the aftermarket (it only took about 15 years longer than anticipated but "it finally happened, oh yes"..) 🤹‍♂️

Speaking of which... why does Honky Chateau tend to be more expensive than the others? Was there ever a known supply issue as far as fewer discs being printed, or is it simply that more people want it (or tend to keep it), because of the overall quality of the album or because it has Rocket Man/Honky Cat on it or whatever?

Speaking of which... why does Honky Chateau tend to be more expensive than the others? Was there ever a known supply issue as far as fewer discs being printed, or is it simply that more people want it (or tend to keep it), because of the overall quality of the album or because it has Rocket Man/Honky Cat on it or whatever?

good question!
i've no idea but i think they were much more plentiful in the U.S.A. than they were in the UK & Europe?

Captain Fantastic is the other one that regularly rakes in more nowadays (which makes me wonder if its sheer popularity that's made HC & CF
more desirable now?) though i've noticed they are all getting harder to find and pricier as a result.

when i cast my mind back to picking up Honky Château in HMV Oxford Street in 2004, along with the other EJ SACDs (apart from GYBR which i got as a present Christmas '03 and Peachtree Road which i got in my local HMV at Whiteleys in Bayswater) they only had one copy of the SACD of each title (EJ, TC, MATW, HC & CFATBDC) out in the racks.. but whenever i nipped back in store they had them all on sale in the racks and there they sat right up until the day they closed (i presume they weren't the same copies sat there for years gathering dust! maybe!).
for PTR my little HMV only had one copy in stock (!) which i bought on release day and i never saw another copy in the racks there right up til the day the branch closed.

I paid full retail for the EJ sacds when they came out and then got 2nd copies of most of them from the used section at my local cd store. For the next set of Elton surround discs, I would pay whatever the asking price is. If there is a certain format that is less expensive to use thay will get this project going, fine...... just give me those discs.

Last edited:
I paid full retail for the EJ sacds when they came out and then got 2nd copies of most of them from the used section at my local cd store. For the next set of Elton surround discs, I would pay whatever the asking price is. If there is a certain format that is less expensive to use thay will get this project going, fine...... just give me those discs.
I would buy them in any format.

good question!
i've no idea but i think they were much more plentiful in the U.S.A. than they were in the UK & Europe?

Captain Fantastic is the other one that regularly rakes in more nowadays (which makes me wonder if its sheer popularity that's made HC & CF
more desirable now?) though i've noticed they are all getting harder to find and pricier as a result.

when i cast my mind back to picking up Honky Château in HMV Oxford Street in 2004, along with the other EJ SACDs (apart from GYBR which i got as a present Christmas '03 and Peachtree Road which i got in my local HMV at Whiteleys in Bayswater) they only had one copy of the SACD of each title (EJ, TC, MATW, HC & CFATBDC) out in the racks.. but whenever i nipped back in store they had them all on sale in the racks and there they sat right up until the day they closed (i presume they weren't the same copies sat there for years gathering dust! maybe!).
for PTR my little HMV only had one copy in stock (!) which i bought on release day and i never saw another copy in the racks there right up til the day the branch closed.

The reason for the glut of EJ's SACDs stateside ...... Columbia House ........a home shopping record club owned by Sony. They were offering the EJ SACDs for as low as $6 .....as this is when SONY had their active SACD pressing plant in Terre Haute, Indiana. The original Dylan SACDs were likewise offered for those ridiculously low prices, as well. Columbia House eventually closed its doors but there are literally millions of CDs and SACDs which bear the imprimatur Mfg. by Columbia House!

Last edited:
The reason for the glut of EJ's SACDs stateside ...... Columbia House ........a home shopping record club owned by Sony. They were offering the EJ SACDs for as low as $6 .....as this is when SONY had their active SACD pressing plant in Terre Haute, Indiana. The original Dylan SACDs were likewise offered for those ridiculously low prices, as well. Columbia House eventually closed its doors but there are literally millions of CDs and SACDs which bear the imprimatur Mfg. by Columbia House!

You forgot the BMG Music Service/yourmusic.com. $5.99/disc including shipping.

Quote from Steve Hoffman Forum

quote from a new interview with john jorgenson, stand in-guitarist on the european leg of the farwell tour (and one time regular member of the band)

eltonjohn-fan.de: A last Question: In the record store you see more and more vinyl records. What is your favorite Music format. Vinyl, CD, Tape or MP3 and why?

John: I like all the formats really, each one has its benefits and drawbacks. Vinyl sounds amazing but is delicate and bulky, CDs are bit more convenient but can sound a tad harsh, MP3s are super convenient but lack dynamics...tape really sounds amazing too. Probably my most favorite listening experience recently was in Greg Penny’s studio when he showed me 5.1 mixes of the Blue Moves album...extraordinary!

Could there be something coming, or was he just visiting and old pal?”

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/elton-john-sacds-surround-mixes.683694/page-5

Quote from Steve Hoffman Forum

quote from a new interview with john jorgenson, stand in-guitarist on the european leg of the farwell tour (and one time regular member of the band)

eltonjohn-fan.de: A last Question: In the record store you see more and more vinyl records. What is your favorite Music format. Vinyl, CD, Tape or MP3 and why?

John: I like all the formats really, each one has its benefits and drawbacks. Vinyl sounds amazing but is delicate and bulky, CDs are bit more convenient but can sound a tad harsh, MP3s are super convenient but lack dynamics...tape really sounds amazing too. Probably my most favorite listening experience recently was in Greg Penny’s studio when he showed me 5.1 mixes of the Blue Moves album...extraordinary!

Could there be something coming, or was he just visiting and old pal?”

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/elton-john-sacds-surround-mixes.683694/page-5

When was this interview conducted, Ninecats? ....... John 'recently' heard the Greg Penny 5.1 remix of Blue Moves.....deeming it "EXTRAORDINARY!"

So, in effect, all Elton has to do is wave his magical be~jeweled WAND and presto ......ALL those remaining EJ 5.1 Penny remixes SHALL BE RELEASED.

Will someone communicate this interview to Universal ..... and let's get THE BALL ROLLING......

See the source image

John waving the Wand for the remaining Penny 5.1s!

Last edited:
Ralphie, my dear friend, how in the life of me did you get so smart? I hope your getting outside and working on your tan, yes I mean in sunlight. Those morticians, you never know.

When was this interview conducted, Ninecats? ....... John 'recently' heard the Greg Penny 5.1 remix of Blue Moves.....deeming it "EXTRAORDINARY!"

So, in effect, all Elton has to do is wave his magical be~jeweled WAND and presto ......ALL those remaining EJ 5.1 Penny remixes SHALL BE RELEASED.

Will someone communicate this interview to Universal ..... and let's get THE BALL ROLLING......

See the source image

All I can say is...it would be amazing to be able to buy the mixed but unreleased 5.1 Eltons. I can see how an artist would feel the weight of his past works and resent them a little, but in this case I am not sure it has anything to do with Elton wanting or not wanting their release. If I had to guess, the deal was struck when record companies were at a peak in sales around 2000, and then there was probably a significant up front artist royalty such that the record company decided to make the second phase optional to test the water before going all in. To release them may subject them to another up front royalty which based on the sales of the first phase would likely not be recouped in the second phase. Numerous other possibilities including (now) declining physical media. This has been discussed to death, but to repeat, it would be amazing to be able to buy the mixed but unreleased 5.1 Eltons. Fingers crossed and I will continue to hope.

See the source image

Apparently in April this year according to this site http://eltonjohn-fan.de/news.htm

Ralphie, my dear friend, how in the life of me did you get so smart? I hope your getting outside and working on your tan, yes I mean in sunlight. Those morticians, you never know.

Well, my dear friend Markie....I DID pay attention in school ... even though I was the class clown....and ignored the Roger Water's Bullsh*t: WE DON'T NEED NO EDUCATION .....and had a wise father who always taught me NOT to be jealous of anyone .... that if YOU REALLY WANTED SOMETHING ...go after it...to the best of your ability.

As for 'working on my tan ...' NOT warm enough in New York yet ...... still dealing with April/May showers and all those Spring Flowers [and POLLEN].

As for being 'so smart ...' the older I get the more I realize HOW VERY LITTLE I ACTUALLY DO KNOW ...... and hopefully will continue learning until I breathe my last.

Morticians die too!

See the source image

Now let's get those remaining Elton John 5.1s released ....before I turn BLUE and lose my MOVES!

Last edited:
Back