Renaissance - “Turn of the Cards” reissue with 5.1 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.....are you going to buy it? :) I haven't ordered yet...can't decide if I like the style of music or not. I mean, I'm all about older music, just never really heard this band somehow.

Yes I am. I discovered them within the past decade, but have been a prog fan since the late 80's as a teen. Absolutely beautiful singing from Annie Haslam, especially in the songs I listed and that live version of "Carpet of the Sun" from the 1977 BBC broadcast. Just stunning! I can't imagine this not sounding amazing in surround....

Interesting Cherry Red has a reissue of the CD of Ashes Are Burning which includes a 12:25 minute version of Ashes Are Burning, including applause,, with Andy Powell on guitar, from a live BBC concert from January 3, 1974. Yes every track sounds good as always for Renaissance and Cherry Red! Also includes Can You Understand, and Let It Grow from the same Jan 3 BBC concert

Last edited:
Pre-ordered today. I bought the ASHES ARE BURNING album back in the day (at a cut-out price, but it wasn't cut) and liked it. Was amused that they stole Debussy's "The Engulfed Cathedral" and put lyrics / new title to it without attribution!

Heard them live in Austin TX in 1977 (or 1978) and they were excellent -- and complaining about "critics." The onslaught of punk / new wave was taking its toll. When I was a newly arrived student at Edinburgh University in 1980, I was in the Pollack Halls commons and heard that I had just missed free tickets being given out for a concert of theirs at the Playhouse. Students were laughing about "haha -- no one wanted any!"

But, as said previously, the US was their biggest market. Didn't Annie eventually move to the US?

Pre-ordered today. I bought the ASHES ARE BURNING album back in the day (at a cut-out price, but it wasn't cut) and liked it. Was amused that they stole Debussy's "The Engulfed Cathedral" and put lyrics / new title to it without attribution!

Heard them live in Austin TX in 1977 (or 1978) and they were excellent -- and complaining about "critics." The onslaught of punk / new wave was taking its toll. When I was a newly arrived student at Edinburgh University in 1980, I was in the Pollack Halls commons and heard that I had just missed free tickets being given out for a concert of theirs at the Playhouse. Students were laughing about "haha -- no one wanted any!"

But, as said previously, the US was their biggest market. Didn't Annie eventually move to the US?

Yup

Is this offering from Esoteric the same as the Cherry records pressing? Turn of the Cards has always been one of my Go To albums ever since I heard Mother Russia playing in a Tower Records store in San Francisco. I saw them at Winterland in the 70's and it was one of my favorite concerts, along with Wings over America at the Cow Palace around the same time.

Is this offering from Esoteric the same as the Cherry records pressing? Turn of the Cards has always been one of my Go To albums ever since I heard Mother Russia playing in a Tower Records store in San Francisco. I saw them at Winterland in the 70's and it was one of my favorite concerts, along with Wings over America at the Cow Palace around the same time.
Sure is....Esoteric are part of the Cherry Records umbrella.
Great record.
Got mine on pre-order with Cherry.

If Scheherazade is next in line for the deluxe box set treatment, let's hope they include the "BBC Stereo Pop Special" from the same year. Despite the program title, this was one of the episodes mixed for quad (SQ) broadcast. (Some QQ'ers undoubtedly know it already from a RomanoTrax conversion.)

Interestingly, Repertoire included that concert on its CD/DVD set Live at the BBC Sight and Sound a couple of years ago--but not the quad mix.

R-11610078-1519382390-4947.jpeg.jpg
The BBC did the same thing (despite the title, it's surround) with a broadcast in quad by Tomita

Attachments

• 'In Concert' (1976 BBC Transcription record).jpg
    'In Concert' (1976 BBC Transcription record).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 196
what other 5.1 work has Ben Wiseman done?

2018's Barclay James Harvest debut is all i can find so far.

I think when I looked it was just about anything else on Esoteric. SO yes, BJH and...

(TBH they seem to use them as a house stereo mixer for the new discoveries/old tapes scenario. Often in conjunction with Mark Powell himself. Not enough surround to inspire massive confidence yet).

Last edited:
One of those two was Keith Relf. He went on to form Armageddon a few years later.
Armageddon was great but only one album "Buzzard" is a fantastic song.
Armageddon did only release one album, but it was a doozie and well worth checking out. A major attraction for me is the presence of former Johnny Winter and Captain Beyond drummer extraordinaire Bobby Caldwell. As Beefalo indicates ‘Buzzard’ is an incredible song as is ‘Silver Tightrope’, a beautiful ballad that balances Buzzard’s relentless assault.

I just pre-ordered from Amazon.CA, and it was even cheaper than the US site … CDN$39.79 including tax and postage (converts to US$29.76 all-in). The current Amazon.COM price is listed at US$31.88 before tax and postage (if applicable).

Back