Renaissance: 50th Anniversary Ashes Are Burning – An Anthology – Live In Concert, 2CD, DVD & Blu Ray Box Set Renaissance

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djstephan

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Last edited:
This is enticing. I had never really heard of Renaissance until i picked up their Turn of the Cards deluxe and was pleasantly surprised for the most part. I'll wait and see what the reaction is on how the mix is before getting it.

Renaissance was a folk rock band with classical influences. Their heyday was in the 70's , mostly in the UK where they had a loyal following. Their most well known albums are Ashes are Burning and Turn of the Cards. Live at Carnegie Hall is an excellent live album that finds the band in top form.
This being a live album my multichannel expectations are somewhat muted. I will be ordering it however mostly to hear Annie Haslam's beautiful voice once again.
They toured the U.S. quite regularly and I was lucky enough to see them live at the Raymond theatre in Pasadena , Calif. in the early 80's, a memorable concert .So in a way you could say it will be a nostalgic purchase for me.

"NB. THIS RELEASE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR DISTRIBUTION IN THE USA, CANADA & SOUTH AMERICA "
Is this an indication that the DVD & BR discs will NOT be region coded for the Western Hemisphere?

never mind :) fine print indicates:
"... both DVD and High-Definition Blu ray multi region formats .... "

I have their Live at Union Chapel release from 2015/2016. She is still a very lovely singer, but sometimes... the notes aren't quite there. Also, I was never a big fan of their later music and so the only song on this release that isn't on UC that I would want to hear is Midas Man. And just a bit more cold water, the 5.1 mix on UC wasn't anything to write home about. Still, if there is an American release, I might buy it for the right price. I truly loved them back in the70s. Saw them front row in San Diego. Annie was mesmerizing. Now, where are those 5.1 mixes of their other studio albums.

Blam! Pre-ordered. Reasonable price and Cherry Red has shipped me several boxes now in excellent condition, makes me confident about direct orders with them.

I managed to see them in San Diego a few times; during 1977-78 and more unusual as a trio at a club in 1981, touring for an album on I.R.S. Records called Camera, Camera.

Jon Camp gave me some valuable advice when I was looking at Rickenbacker basses late last year.

I received mine yesterday. RIpped with MKV and DVDAE. BluRay is 48-24, the first track is a welcome to the concert, and for some reason (authoring?), the first track "Carpet of the Sun" is split into tracks 2&3! There is probably a way to stitch them together in Audacity. 🤷
I haven't given it a full listen yet, but the 5.1 spread is quite engaging, the band itself feels centered and the orchestra wrapped around. That is my first impression. I find that sometimes the changes between camera angles while watching a concert video can distract from the surround feel. Or maybe it is just me.

What's the consensus? Is this release worth the plunge?
Yes and not quite!

The good: Musically its good, the sound quality is excellent, the musicians are all top notch (Bass player is brilliant), Annie Haslam is on voice (occasionally off, but I suspect thats the vibrato she has always had), as stereoptic posted the mix is wrap round, not discrete but not bad at all something is happening in the rear/surrounds, and the picture quality is excellent.

The not quite: The concert director has messed it up, jumping camera angles, wrong instrument pictured during solos, and the disc authoring is odd, a new track starts before the chapter ends, weird. Plus the only original member is Annie Haslam.

I love the songs of Renaissance, so for the price I paid £26.99 for 2x CDs, a DVD, and a Blu-Ray its a (y) from me.

The thing that shook me was Annie Haslam is 73, I think the last time I saw her and Renaissance was in late 1978 possibly early 1979 (when they played my Uni), time flies!

As a long time fan, I believe the purchase was worthwhile. Annie's voice is the main attraction and she was up to the task most of the time. There were a few slight foibles on what I thought were simple passages whereas she commanded the stage with beautiful sustained notes that I thought were more difficult, just amazing for her age and the complexity of some melodies. I missed bassist Jon Camp terribly, not only for the crisp concise bass he provides but singing along side Annie was always special. Mind you others in the band covered this aspect adequately. The bassist that was present (no credits handy) was amazing throughout although his solo didn't seem nearly as good as his expert ensemble playing with written material.

Perhaps it's really Annie Haslam fronting a Renaissance tribute band at this point, yet all the players in the band and orchestra took their parts very seriously. 50 years history of any band is an amazing feat. I'll not play this too often but I know I'll treasure it for years to come. If uncertain about this one, buy a copy of a studio album like Scheherazade as you can't go wrong with that.

Renaissance was/are a band where the Bass really is a Bass lead rather than supporting the drums/rhythm, and Jon Camp was brilliant at it. Its one of the many things I liked about the band.

Renaissance was/are a band where the Bass really is a Bass lead rather than supporting the drums/rhythm, and Jon Camp was brilliant at it. Its one of the many things I liked about the band.
Prominent counterpoints to say the least; can't miss it on a Rick 4001/4003 bass. :)

The music and orchestra are great, very reminiscent of Caravan, the lyricists' outfit and disheveled hair make her look like one of the witches from Macbeth just got out of bed, hope in the future they make a version with a zoom video filter of an emu, or Kermit, or a young Annie doing the singing.:D

Last edited:
Back