• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

DVD/DTS Poll Renaissance - TURN OF THE CARDS [DTS DVD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DTS DVD of Renaissance - TURN OF THE CARDS

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

R E Faust

I voted 8 out of 10, though it was a close thing....nearly went for 7.

Marks knocked off for...

Cherry Red not making it clear that half the 5.1 tracks are upmixes
Not being a proper DVD-A despite the logo appearing on the box
One or two slight issues with the remixes - a little too much reverb on Annie's voice, lack of Harpsichord on Black Flame (it's too quiet IMHO)

I don't want to rank it lower as it might discourage others from getting it, I still think it's a good set and one of the bands best albums, and for my money fortunately the 3 tracks that are discrete mixes are the best 3 on the album.

Hopefully they have the multitracks for Scheherazade, but given Cherry Red have already done deluxe editions of Prologue, Ashes, Novella, Live and SFAS without 5.1 it looks like they might be gone....or did they not think about surround for those..?

Infomas

Put me in the letdown camp.

This isn't my favorite Renaissance album to begin with (that would be A Song For All Seasons), but I enjoyed getting reacquainted with it, just the same, and I'm looking forward to hearing the famous "Academy of Music" show. The liner notes don't add much to the package, sadly--heavy on banal facts and anodyne quotes. The whole package is a decent enough value, though; the price came down to $32 by the time it shipped.
I sort of stopped reading after you said that "A Song for all Seasons" was better than anything before it. That album was pretty much when I stopped listening to them. I loved everything before that. :)

Juggsnelson

First off I love the fidelity on this release. A definite improvement over my original US LP. The upmixed tracks sound fine but it is obvious when listening to the album as a whole which tracks they are. The tracks in discrete surround are nicely done. Not reference material but certainly worth owning and fully engaging. The beginning of Black Flame transports you to another world. The bonus tracks and live set are nice additions. I'm pretty pleased overall, especially as I never saw this album getting this deluxe treatment. Bring on the whole catalog! I'm voting an 8 with the two points deducted for the upmixes and a slightly tame approach.

Group builder