Quad LP/Tape Poll REO Speedwagon: This Time We Mean It [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SQ/Q8 of REO Speedwagon - This Time We Mean It

• 9 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
This Time We Mean It was REO Speedwagon's fifth studio album and final quad release, issued on SQ matrix-encoded LP and quad 8-track in 1975. The final album to feature Mike Murphy on lead vocals, This Time We Mean It featured a cover of The Eagles' "Out Of Control" from Desperado (1973) and peaked at #74 on the U.S. pop charts.

REO Front.jpeg
REO Disc 1.jpg
REO Q8 front.jpg
REO Q8 back.jpg

Epic PEQ 33338 [SQ LP] EAQ 33338 [Q8]
Discogs links: Q8 / LP
Wiki for the album: This Time We Mean It
Quadraphonic remix engineer: Don Young
Quadraphonic sound supervision: Harold J. Kleiner

Side 1
  1. Reelin'
  2. Headed For A Fall
  3. River Of Life
  4. Out Of Control
  5. You Better Realize
Side 2
  1. Gambler
  2. Candalera
  3. Lies
  4. Dance
  5. Dream Weaver

@fredblue enthusiastically recommended this one to me a while back and I have to agree, the decoded quad effect from the SQ LP is pretty impressive. I attached some rear channel samples from the song "Candalera" below to show how closely the front-to-back separation from the LP matches the discrete Q8 tape. The only issue with the decode is that the stereo-panned drums seem to wrap all the way around the surround field when they should be confined to the front speakers.

The quad mixes of both these REO Speedwagon albums are excellent, with a similar 'drums & bass upfront, rhythm guitars in the rear' soundstage to the Rick Derringer titles that were issued on SACD by D-V a few years ago. I love how several of the songs kick off with a lone electric guitar in one of the back corners, then explode out into full four-corner immersion when the full band enterers.

I wouldn't say there's anything particularly amazing musically about either album though, it's just sort of generic mid-70s rock that can make for a fun listen. That being said, it'd definitely be interesting to hear how the quad (and stereo) masters for both these albums actually sound - every version I've heard (stereo LP, SQ LP, Q8, stereo mix on streaming services) sounds rather dull and lacking low-end. I bet Dutton could really make these sparkle!

Attachments

• Candalera SQ Sample.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Candalera Q8 Sample.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Back