Requesting Updates for the Classical Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got another one for you - hope not too late. This is how the entry currently reads:

QTV-S 14621* (QS) ALEXANDER GLAZOUNOV: Concerto No. 2 in B for Piano, Op. 100; Concerto in a for Violin, Op. 82 (Ponti, Ricci, Landau/Westphalian Symphony)

Should read as:

QTV-S 14621* (QS) ALEXANDER GLAZOUNOV: Concerto No. 2 in B for Piano, Op. 100 (Ponti, Landau/Westphalian Symphony); Concerto in A minor for Violin, Op. 82; Meditation for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 32 (Ricci, Peters/Philharmonia Hungarica)

See image for confirmation
http://cgi.ebay.com/RUGGIERO-RICCI-violin-MICHAEL-PONTI-piano-GLAZOUNOV-/360342935420?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item53e61cd77c

HANDEL: Concerti Grossi op.3
Prague Chamber Orchestra
Cond. Sir Charles Mackerras

EMI (HMV Greensleeve) ESD 7089
stereo/quadraphonic
oc 053-03419Q
also available on tape cassette

SQ LP
England

Here's one of Nimbus's early Quad albums, i know there are more but i've mislaid the list.

Hugues Cuénod: French songs, vol. 2
Darius Milhaud, Georges Auric, Albert Roussel, Marcelle de Manziarly, Francis Poulenc
Hugues Cuénod, Geoffrey Parsons
Rec.: 1978
Nimbus (QS) 2118 [LP] (1978)

A few more Nimbus Quad albums. Please note that Matrix H & Matrix HJ should not be confused with UHJ/Ambisonics.

Liszt:
Etude d'execution transcendante, G139 - No.9, Ricordanza.
Etude de concert No.2 in F minor, G144, "La Feggierezza"

Schumann:
Carnival,Op.9.
Arabeske in C major, Op.18

Marta Deyanova (Piano)
Nimbus 2116 (Matrix HJ)

Rachmaninov: Preludes

Marta Deyanova (Piano)
Nimbus 2119 (Matrix HJ)

Bridge:
Cello Sonata

Kodaly:
Sonata for solo cello, Op.8

Christain Hocks (Cello)
Martin Jones (Piano)
Nimbus 2117 (Matrix H)

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas
No.31 in A flat major, Op.110
No.32 in C minor, Op.111

Willem Brons (Piano)
Nimbus 2114 (Matrix H)

Schubert: String Quartets
No.13 in A minor, D804
No.14 in D minor, "Death and the Maiden
No.15 in G major, D887

Chilingirian Quartet
Nimbus 2301-3 (Matrix HJ)

I could use some help verify some listings in the discography. These were reported in the first addition of Quad Incorporated and I have not been able to find these releases and verify if they exist or the catalog numbers are correct.

SQN-140/4* (QS) [4 LP] P.I. TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No. 4 in f, Op. 36;
Symphony No. 5 in e, Op. 64; Symphony No. 6 in b, "Pathetique", Op. 74; Hamlet
(fantasy overture), Op. 67a; Francesca de Rimini, Op. 32; March slave, Op. 31
(Abravanel / Utah Symphony) (selections from Vox Box QSVBX-5129 & 5130)

SQN-153/3* (QS) [3 LP] J.S. BACH: Organ Music (8 Preludes & Fugues; 3
Toccatas & Fugues; Toccata, Adagio & Fugue in C; Fantasy & Fugue in g; 6
Chorale Preludes) (Newman) (selections from Vox Box QSVBX-5479 & 5480]

SQN-154/2* (QS) [2 LP] MAURICE RAVEL: The Favorite Orchestral Music
(Bolero; Rhapsodie espagnole; La Valse; Pavane pour une Infante defunte;
Alborada del gracioso; Daphne et Chloe Suite No. 2) (Skrowaczewski / Minnesota
Orchestra) (Selections from Vox Box QSVBX-5133)

Hope this is proof enough for the Tchaikovsky & Ravel sets:
R5192.jpg R5192-2.jpgR5190.jpg

thanks for the verification on those two. I have seen all the others on the list and wondered if the catalog numbers were wrong for the box sets as the Bach & Ravel just seem wacky as they are not sequential but if they were they would conflict with info I saw at Discogs when trying to verify them.

QUESTION: How does one know when they own to many records. ANSWER: When you cannot even remember what you purchased or have!

How embarrassing, maybe if I spent more time enjoying my own collection I would not be questioning entries in the discography and second guessing myself on items I verified over 20 years ago. I found this today and immediately remembered where the other titles are that I had mentioned above as to never seeing and needing verification of the catalog numbers.

SINE QUA NON SQN 140-small.jpg

QUESTION: How does one know when the mind might be going. ANSWER: Well...........I am still working on that one.

I've been working for years on a database of my collection...problem is, I have to figure out how to take it with me wherever I go to verify what I have (and condition). Most I can remember if only because a) I have the most obvious hit singles going into the early '90s, and b) I have a fine memory for albums, BUT...I tend to forget if I have mono and stereo for certain titles, so...there is the risk of duplication. Overall, though, I don't muck up too much. What I like are obscure titles I know I don't have. As for quad titles, since I only have so many of those on vinyl (I can only estimate about 500, but not really sure) I can remember those most of the time, but label variants? I know I'm missing a BEST OF THE DOORS label, but without all the pressings here (my collection is literally separated north and south) all I remember is it's a later one. Found a black label BEST OF BREAD recently after owning the green one for decades.

No, Mark, your mind isn't going. It's just that the larger your collection--and how long you've been collecting--are the big factors, not memory or age (I hope!) On the other hand, I've duplicated titles and found I bought a nicer, cleaner pressing than I had before, so sometimes it's worth the investment.

Your typical diehard vinyl hound (and as necessary, Q8 kid),

ED :)

Hey Ed, I heard that microsoft is going to have a free app for smart phones for editing documents. Their is also the google programs so you could take your database with you. I used to have a printed list but now with a smart phone I can call up a PDF while i am on the road.

Mark,

Thanks for the info. My wife has a Smartphone and, as knows more about it than I ever will, I'll have her check out your post and see what she can do. It would certainly help not duping things, though that doesn't happen too often, fortunately.

ED :)

Found this one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MILHAUD-Co...NE-Serp-MC-7024-Quadraphonic-LP-/313363204061
SERP Disques MC 7024 - DARIUS MILHAUD: Intégrale De L'Oeuvre Pour Harmonie (Désiré Dondeyne / Musique Des Gardiens De La Paix)

https://www.discogs.com/Darius-Milh...yne-Intégrale-De-LOeuvre-Pou/release/14215032
I did a bit of digging and I can't seem to find any other quad releases on SERP, but the logo they use on this release ('4 STEREO QUADRAPHONIC') is the same logo that Decca used on their classical releases, and one of the engineers invovled (Michel Benoit) did a few quad mixes for Decca in the 1975-76 timeframe.

1. Therese Farre-Fizio, Maitrise Gabriel Faure
2. Tomasi: 12 Chants De L'Ile De Corse (12 Corsican Songs)
3. Decca
4. 117.008
5. QS
6. LP (vinyl)
7. NA
8. France 1974

1. Therese Farre-Fizio, Maitrise Gabriel Faure
2. FAURE: MESSE BASSE, AVE VERUM op.65 n1, MARIA MATER GRATIE op.47 n2, TANTUM ERGO op.65 n2, PAULENC: LITANIES A LA VIERGE NOIRE, PETITES VOIX, AVE VERUM CORPUS
3. Decca
4. 7.212
5. QS
6. LP (vinyl)
7. NA
8. France

More infomation of Quadraphonic-discs via reserch on Discogs - Music Database and Marketplace

Ex Libris EL 16038 - Moshe Atzmon / Basler Sinfonie-Orchester (Basel Symphony Orchestra) "Mozart: Sämtliche Ouvertüren / Ballett Musik Aus Idomeneo" (3LP Set. QS Encoded)

1612771025840.png1612771048024.png

https://www.discogs.com/Mozart-Basl...üren-Balletmusik-Aus-Idomeneo/release/9450780
A lot of these Ex Libris recordings look to just be Swiss versions of EMI UK/France stuff, but this one seems to originate in Switzerland. It was also released in Germany as
Eurodisc QUADRO 27 257 XDR .

Scorpios ‎SC 109403 / 4 - Kyriakos Sfetsas "SMOG - musique electroacoustique" (2LP / QS Encoded) [France]

1612771476090.png1612771495758.png1612771526701.png1612771585555.png

https://www.discogs.com/Kyriakos-Sfetsas-Smog/release/3137138
https://www.ebay.de/itm/LP-KYRIAKOS...551796?hash=item1f17fea9f4:g:UEkAAOSwnYdfeL4V
The labels and sleeve don't seem to have a QS logo anywhere, but on the right hand side of the inner sleeve there's a credit that says "Codage SANSUI Q.S.: Michel Benoit" ("Sansui QS Encoding by Michel Benoit") - coincidentally Benoit is the quad remix engineer credited on the Serp Disques Milhaud I posted a couple of posts before this.

Not sure if this qualifies as classical or popular, but I thought I'd drop it here - looks like it's somewhere between the Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center and Morton Subotnick on the 'weird avant-garde synthesizer music in quad' scale.

Mark I have some additions to the Quad Classical discography.
All in cassette .

Seraphim

Carols For Christmas Eve , Kings College Choir Cambridge , conducted by Philip Ledger.
(SQC) Seraphim 4N 66062 , (Canada) Dolby SDR tape (same as EMI LP CSD 3774 )

VOX
All USA releases;

Dvorak , Cello Concerto in B Minor , Silent Woods Rondo in G Minor , Zara Nelsova Cello , Saint Louis Symphony , Walter Susskind Conductor CT 2105 (QSC) Dolby (cover and tape indicate quadraphonic Stereo Compatible)

Smetana Ma Vlast , Saint Louis Orchestra , Walter Susskind Conductor CT 22116.619 (QSC) Dolby
(Cover and tape indicate Quadraphonic Stereo Compatible)

Wagner , GREAT LOVE SCENES excerpts from Tannhaeuser , Tristan Und Isolde , Minnesota Orchestra , Skrowaczewski , Conductor , Minnesota Chamber Chorale , Robert Berglund Director , Ferald B Capps , English Horn
CT 2120.612 (QSC) Dolby (cover states Stereo Compatible , tape states Quadraphonic Stereo Compatible)

Attachments

• 1620602026687807630173.jpg
    1620602026687807630173.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210509_181632.jpg
    20210509_181632.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 76
Fizzy, thanks for taking the time to review the discography and the updates. I hope this will motivate me to work on the list but the 2000+ additions I have is a little intimidating. I have been trying to finalize my thoughts on how to handle EMI releases from different countries of the same recording (1C, 2C, 3C, 10C..etc.) since the classical discography is listed by catalog number. I think I have a answer for that to eliminate duplication but that task alone will be daunting.

Back