Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mystic Moods - The Gates Of Love is a song from the album Awakening

Good on you , Mark

I'm not too familiar with The Mystic Moods releases. Actually , I don't think I have ever bought any of those CD-4 's.
But I do have 2 dts cd's. And I Now see that song is on Cosmic Force .

I suppose someone had too many cocktails at the FCC Listening Party.

@fredblue , I believe QS came in rather low on the quad accuracy scale , last place with the FCC Tests .

But I'm wondering what QS and BBC Matrix H music selections (or albums) they listened to ?

Now of course that was back in the mid to late 70's , when both mono and stereo were so important to a lot of audiophiles and John Q Public .
Sadly , There were far too many skeptics early on , and then there were the kind of people (Purists) that wanted things as it were.... in both Stereo and Mono including Elevator music like MUZAK .

Yank Barry - The Diary of Mr. Gray (probably EV)

Found this oddity on discogs recently - it's a 3 disc set, the first one is mono, the second stere, and the third seems to be quad:

https://www.discogs.com/release/7721452-Yank-Barry-The-Diary-Of-Mr-Gray
There doesn't seem to be a catalog number on the box itself but the # on the quad LP is 'MG-1'.

More pictures here:

http://citizenfreak.com/titles/266627-barry-yank-the-diary-of-mr-gray
There isn't any format notation visible anywhere, but I suspect it's EV for a couple of reasons - one is that McConnell Records only other quad release was the Bhen Lanzaroni (who was involved with this album too) one, and being from 1971, it's unlikely to be QS given that it didn't really make its way to the US until 1972.

There's some information about this LP on Barry's website:

'1970 - Yank mixed the first quadraphonic album named Quadrophonic along with Robert Lifton and Ben Lanzarone at Regent Sound Studios in New York in 1970. The album was a Bob Crewe production with Ben Lanzarone as the solo artist on piano accompanied by a philharmonic orchestra. This was the first quadraphonic album released to the general public.'

1971 - Yank was the solo vocalist of the iconic cult classic rock opera “The diary of Mr. Gray”. Yank co-wrote a number of the songs featured in this epic auditory experience which included quadraphonic tracks. The leather bound album sets are sought after collectibles. The diary of Mr Gray put him on the cover of many trade magazines not to mention the Mike Douglas show, the Merve Griffin show and the Sally Jessie show as a featured guest.'

Mark,
I think I have a new entry for the Popular Quad Discography .

Roundhouse - Down To Earth EMI/ELECTROLA 1 C 062 - 29483 Q ,
Germany SQ LP

Found it on the Grundig Quadraphonic Sampler.

20221014_185459.jpg
20221014_185516.jpg

That's cool!, I have seen a stereo copy with the catalog number that ends in a D instead of a Q. Perhaps advertised but never issued? Makes you wonder. Let me know if you have found eveidence of a quad version. Maybe I can add it to the not released until then?

That's cool!, I have seen a stereo copy with the catalog number that ends in a D instead of a Q. Perhaps advertised but never issued? Makes you wonder. Let me know if you have found eveidence of a quad version. Maybe I can add it to the not released until then?

Yes, notice track number six.
It's a German group , actually on Harvest/EMI/Electrola .
Probably dual inventory as discogs doesn't have it listed , but then discogs doesn't have everything in quad , just most.

I was perusing some old 70's Audio magazines and came across a couple of unlisted quad albums for the Discography.

One that I found out was rather surprising......in that Mercury Records , had a Matrix Quadraphonic system !?! Although untitled , I believe it's a variation of Dynaquad .
The album is a Sampler , and it's derived from 3 track recordings encoded to Quad .

Mercury 4-2-4 Matrix Demo Disc , (Not for sale)
MQ-1 Selections : Handel , Brahms , Stravinsky (2), Tchaikovsky, and Leroy Anderson (M?)

and one Dynaquad album :

Dick Roger's And His TV Recording Orchestra- Polka Varieties
KL Recording KLP -6 (DY)

These 2 albums are reviewed in "Canby's Capsules" , Audio Magazine ,
April 1972.
It is interesting that Mr Canby suggests the Mercury album seems to work best through an EV-4 Decoder.

-Fizzy still sleuthing

PS , now that's going to make me wonder if the Mercury Matrix was used on other Mercury albums in the early 70's ??

One that I found out was rather surprising......in that Mercury Records , had a Matrix Quadraphonic system !?! Although untitled , I believe it's a variation of Dynaquad .
The album is a Sampler , and it's derived from 3 track recordings encoded to Quad .

Mercury 4-2-4 Matrix Demo Disc , (Not for sale)
MQ-1 Selections : Handel , Brahms , Stravinsky (2), Tchaikovsky, and Leroy Anderson (M?)

and one Dynaquad album :

Dick Roger's And His TV Recording Orchestra- Polka Varieties
KL Recording KLP -6 (DY)
Thanks for the updates. I have the Mercury record listed in the Quadraphonic Recordings NOT RELEASED discography as it was my understanding that it was a test pressing

MERCURY
Mercury 4-2-4 Matrix Demo Disk. MQ 1 (Format? LP) BRAHMS: 3rd movement,
4th sym. HANDEL: Water music, allegro, final FUCIK: Thunder & Blazes
TSCHAIKOVSKY: Scherzo, sym. 2 BACH: Prelude, cello suite 3 STRAVINSKY:
Fireworks ANDERSON: The musical typewriter, The syncopated clock

Mercury 4-2-4 Matrix Demo Disk. MQ 1c.JPG

Mercury 4-2-4 Matrix Demo Disk. MQ 1a.JPG

Mercury 4-2-4 Matrix Demo Disk. MQ 1b.JPG

I was not aware of the Dick Rogers recording so I will get that added to the Popular discography

1690927938241.png

1690927903361.png

Thanks for the updates. I have the Mercury record listed in the Quadraphonic Recordings NOT RELEASED discography as it was my understanding that it was a test pressing

MERCURY
Mercury 4-2-4 Matrix Demo Disk. MQ 1 (Format? LP) BRAHMS: 3rd movement,
4th sym. HANDEL: Water music, allegro, final FUCIK: Thunder & Blazes
TSCHAIKOVSKY: Scherzo, sym. 2 BACH: Prelude, cello suite 3 STRAVINSKY:
Fireworks ANDERSON: The musical typewriter, The syncopated clock

View attachment 94604

View attachment 94605

View attachment 94606

I was not aware of the Dick Rogers recording so I will get that added to the Popular discography

View attachment 94608
View attachment 94607

Oh ok,

I just learned of some more info on the Mercury disc , which I believe it to be ..
EV-4 , as the Engineer had access to an EV-4 Encoder.

This conversation from John Eargle , Cheif Engineer Mercury Records , and Bert Whyte..Audio Magazine :

" I have one of the EV decoders and some test pressings of some Enoch Light Four Channel Stereo, encoded by Mr Light and John Eargle of Mercury Records
at the latter's studio . Mr Eargle points out that mixing/encoding for the disc differs from Mr Light's previous mix of the same material for four channel Stereo tape , in that the type of mix, the pan potting, etc. Is specifically tailored to the characteristics of the EV encoder . Mr Eargle also noted that a big help in making a high quality encoded recording is that the mixing console enabled him to monitor the recording through the EV decoder as if he were listening to the finished product. "

Bert Whyte , Audio Magazine July 1971 pg 12

Found this one in the discography

DICK ROGERS AND HIS TV RECORDING ORCHESTRA -
Twirl Your Partner. Markus Records DM-1002 (Format? LP)

Curious as the same album title was released on Decca Records in 1968

View attachment 94610

View attachment 94611

View attachment 94612

View attachment 94613

Well , my opinion is that it's more than likely a Dynaquad encoded disc.
Why ?...because he has disc's in Dynaquad on a local label in Wisconsin, and both labels are near , Green Bay -DM Recording and KL Recording -Hubertus, WI .

Interesting that there is a list of other titles from Dick Rodgers , perhaps some are Dynaquad discs. ?

Mark, I think I've uncovered another quad album..for the Popular Section.

Jason Guy And The Contemporary Jazz Society
-Jason Roars..The Works Of Famous Black Poets (Music Composed By Bill Lewis)

RADNOR Records R-2005 EV-4 . vinyl LP September 1971

There is a picture of this disc in discogs..with the Stereo-4 emblem.

Wow how did you ever notice that? It's at the very top of the album cover!

Nice find fizzy - I was sort of intrigued by this (as I am when a label only releases one quad album) so I did a little bit of digging and found some information:

Images of the sleeve and labels from an eBay listing, note the 'STEREO-4' in the EV font is clearly legible in the upper right of the back cover (and written on the labels).

1692511532720.png1692511582563.png1692511609552.png1692511642368.png

And this short biography from RateYourMusic::

Founded in 1969 by Anthony A. Martino - Martino, the founder of AAMCO Transmissions, also owned the Regent Sound Studios in Philadelphia in the early 70s. In mid-1970, Martino purchased Bond Records and combined that label into Radnor.

1692511862839.png

(From the January 24, 1970 issue of Cash Box magazine)

The mention of Regent Sound Studios is when it all clicked for me. Regent was an early-quad equipped studio, and the home of engineer Bob Lifton (or Liftin) who did some early EV quad mixes including Bob Crewe Generation, Bhen Lanzaroni and Yank Lawson, in addition to the quad mix of Roberta Flack's Killing Me Softly. The Regent Sound Studios connection means that almost surely the "Jungle Joel" engineering credit on this album is Joel Fein, who was the chief engineer at the studio.

Given that this LP is cat # R-2005, I did some searching to see if the label did any other quad LPs, but I couldn't find much information. R-2003 (Lumbee Overdose from 1970) definitely isn't quad, and I can't find any evidence that R-2004 or R-2006 exist, though you'd think 2004 exists if 2003 and 2005 do.

Bob Lifton also did the mixes/encodes for Evolution Records .

He is credited on the main one, fwiw.

I found this Radnor Records reference to EV-4 , with an Electro Voice (Encoder 7445) , update drop in High Fidelity magazine.
They mentioned the Records in use as ;

Crest , Crewe , Ovation , Project 3, and Radnor.....so my interest was piqued.
I searched out Radnor Records on discogs and viola....I saw a very small Stereo-4 image on the Jason Guy Record .( Unfortunately no others)

Thanks , Steely, for posting the image.

Thanks Fizzy, I have added it to the discography.

I wonder if @rustyandi (Ron Brain) might be able to provide some info on another curiosity I ran across on Discogs.

Peter Lane Big Band – Top Brass

The liner notes mention that the album was also available in many quad formats but I have not ever seen a quad version. As it came from an Australian label I thought if anyone would know, it would be Ron.

1692669283855.png

Thanks Fizzy, I have added it to the discography.

I wonder if @rustyandi (Ron Brain) might be able to provide some info on another curiosity I ran across on Discogs.

Peter Lane Big Band – Top Brass

The liner notes mention that the album was also available in many quad formats but I have not ever seen a quad version. As it came from an Australian label I thought if anyone would know, it would be Ron.

View attachment 95407
I have never heard of this record shows you are never to old to learn
There was other record I picked up years ago and on the back it said that you could get this LP
on a QUAD reel to reel if you rang this number I rang and the person I spoke to was surprised
as it was many years after it was released and I was the first call about Quad (too late)

Beck, Bogart & Appice-Live. Epic ECPJ5/6 [2 LP] (SQ) [Japan]
*I have this as a single LP version, probably condensed from the 2-LP version. Epic 25-3P-57 (Japan)

Mark Z

So this album is listed in the quad discography, but when I look up Epic ECPJ5/6 in Discogs or on eBay the labels clearly state "stereo," and I see no mention of "quad" or "SQ" in any of the labels or associated artwork. What documentation suggests that this version is SQ? Can anyone post images showing the quad designation for this recording?

Back