Requesting Updates for the Rumored Unreleased Recordings Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have since received
Synthesonic Sounds Moog At The Movies Teichiku UX-2Y CD4
It is very surround
There are a few of tracks missing from the QS release

Thanks for the info Ron, Your collection just keeps on growing. I was not aware the CD4 has less tracks so thanks for mentioning that.

The Rumored Unreleased Recordings Quad Discography has been officially updated at
Quadraphonic Discography "Rumors"
Mark
I have had this LP for a number of years
When I picked it up I noticed that the Quad Label was covered up so I peeled it open
and as you see it may have been a release stopped the LP is stereo

Attachments

• PICT0027.JPG
    PICT0027.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 122
  • PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Mark
I have had this LP for a number of years
When I picked it up I noticed that the Quad Label was covered up so I peeled it open
and as you see I may have been a release stopped the LP is stereo
I've heard rumours about this one, but not sure: number pre-fix "VSQ" could mean Vanguard SQ encoded? If you have a Surround Master (or other decoders :) ), I'd say run it through and see if it flies.

and as you see it may have been a release stopped the LP is stereo
Ron, Not sure what you are saying above.
Quad covers exist but if you look at the catalog number etched in the run out groove of the LP you should see SD 79350

I've heard rumours about this one, but not sure: number pre-fix "VSQ" could mean Vanguard SQ encoded? If you have a Surround Master (or other decoders :) ), I'd say run it through and see if it flies.
I played Winter light With Audionics and S/Master SQ

It gave a good surround spread very close to Involve (QS)

SQ sometimes with Stereo has a pulling effect in rear channels

But it is stereo

I then played Oregon Distant Hills SQ

It has rear channel solo parts a different display on my scope

I don't have a Vanguard quad LP at my fingertips right now, but if I remember correctly they use "VS" for "Vanguard Stereo", and "VSQ" for "Vanguard Quadraphonic". Although, as far as I know Vanguard only ever used the SQ system for their LP's, so your comment about it possibly meaning "Vanguard SQ" (Vanguard Stereo-Quadraphonic) is not unrealistic!

FWIW Vanguard had one official Dynaquad album before they went with SQ.

Makes me wonder if they had one or two others before committing to SQ . They were one of the first labels to issue quad tapes Q4 and Q8 , back in 69 .
For that matter other labels could have dabbled in Dynaquad or EV-4 before committing to SQ or CD-4 , or those that went exclusive Q8.
We know that CBS supplied the discrete tracks for the Scheiber encode from 4ch masters supplied by John McClure of Columbia Records (CBS).
And thanks to that information via Thomas Mowery we also know they had Simon And Garfunkel's rare quad mix of "Mrs.Robinson" , on the Scheiber Matrix encoded tape.

FWIW Vanguard had one official Dynaquad album before they went with SQ.

Makes me wonder if they had one or two others before committing to SQ . They were one of the first labels to issue quad tapes Q4 and Q8 , back in 69 .
For that matter other labels could have dabbled in Dynaquad or EV-4 before committing to SQ or CD-4 , or those that went exclusive Q8.
We know that CBS supplied the discrete tracks for the Scheiber encode from 4ch masters supplied by John McClure of Columbia Records (CBS).
And thanks to that information via Thomas Mowery we also know they had Simon And Garfunkel's rare quad mix of "Mrs.Robinson" , on the Scheiber Matrix encoded tape.
Wow, thanks for the info fizzywiggs! Do you recall what is was?

My LPs are in storage, but I do recall when I purchased a DYNAQUAD gizmo, Vanguard had released SAMPLERS [both Pop and Classical] encoded for Dynaquad but I don't recall any individual Vanguard Artists which were specifically released in that format.

Last edited:
My LPs are in storage, but I do recall when I purchased a DYNAQUAD gizmo, Vanguard had released SAMPLERS [both Pop and Classical] encoded for Dynaquad but I don't recall any Vanguard Artists which were specifically released in that format.

Yes they're Artist's on the Vanguard label.
The sampler is almost identical to Vanguard's SQ edition.

Edit : picture SQ album.

Attachments

• 20210505_213844.jpg
    20210505_213844.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210505_213855.jpg
    20210505_213855.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 100
Kinda swear I posted these somewhere on here before (so you might be aware) , but oh well here goes :

These unreleased albums/Q8's were reported in Billboards top 100 -200 new charting albums during the quad period. Most stayed on those listings for 8 or 9 weeks, btw.
(April- May 1974).

New Riders Of The Purple Sage - Home , Home on The Road. Columbia Records -32870 , SQ , Q8
Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Ozark Mountain Daredevils. A&M Records. SP 4411 , QLP , Q8
Sunshine , Original Television Soundtrack , MCA 387 , QLP , Q8

Fizzy

Do you mind changing the entry for Three Dog Night? I've never claimed there was ever any unreleased Quad TDN album. What did surface on eBay was a Quad Master for their album "Coming Down Your Way" that happened to contain a few unreleased songs. Somebody who worked for or was related to Chuck Negron also seemed to have misunderstood what was going on as I merely posted the eBay auction I'd found. Apparently this fellow thought *I* was the seller and sent me one deusie of an expletive-laden PM demanding I end the auction, cease and desist or he & Chuck's lawyers were going to do things to me....

dscn6854jh1.jpg

Also more unreleased mentioned in Billboard I missed .

All were listed in the New Releases charting ,Hot 100 Hot 200 newest charting on FM for a few weeks .

These 2 were in summer 1973 (August)

The Sylvers - II , Price/MGM , PRD -0026 ....QLP
El Chicano - El Chicano , MCA 312 , ....QLP

Billboard hot 100/200 , May-July 1975 ;
Ray Stevens - Misty , on Chess/Janus , QLP , Q8 .
Kraftwerk - Autobahn , Vertigo 2003 Q8 ~ QLP , the quad lp would be the unreleased.

Billboard February-April 1976 Hot 100/200 ;

David Bowie - Young Americans , RCA QLP , Q8.

Back