Restoring Windows 10 connections to NAS Drives following an update

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I discovered that a Windows 10 update removed the ability of my PC to find or connect to my NAS Drives as I hadn't used it to connect to then after a period of time. This was done to stop security issues due to vulnerabilities in the SMBv1 code which allows these links or Shared Drive connections to function. However, I do not have or allow remote access to my network, so I'm not concerned about this. There is an update to SMBv2 I believe, but this solution was the quickest. I was puzzling over how to get the SMB code back onto my PC and I only found out about this method when I rang a friend who runs an IT company and he said "its simple do this".

So open Control Panel, select Programs, then under Programs & Features Click on Turn Windows features on and off
Windows Features.PNG

This opens the Turn Windows Features on or off menu
Then Scroll down through the list until you find SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.
Then Click on the square by the + sign, then Click on the + sign to open up the option.
The Click on the square with the Tick in it marked SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal to remove the Tick - this stops Windows from deleting the option if you don't connect via your PC to the NAS for 15 days (if I remember correctly from a blog I found?).
SMB setting.PNG

I had this same issue when I did the 2004 update (I think that was the ver number)

It still didn't work after I did the above. I ended up getting a new router! Go figure

I discovered that a Windows 10 update removed the ability of my PC to find or connect to my NAS Drives as I hadn't used it to connect to then after a period of time. This was done to stop security issues due to vulnerabilities in the SMBv1 code which allows these links or Shared Drive connections to function. However, I do not have or allow remote access to my network, so I'm not concerned about this. There is an update to SMBv2 I believe, but this solution was the quickest. I was puzzling over how to get the SMB code back onto my PC and I only found out about this method when I rang a friend who runs an IT company and he said "its simple do this".

So open Control Panel, select Programs, then under Programs & Features Click on Turn Windows features on and off
View attachment 62303
This opens the Turn Windows Features on or off menu
Then Scroll down through the list until you find SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.
Then Click on the square by the + sign, then Click on the + sign to open up the option.
The Click on the square with the Tick in it marked SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal to remove the Tick - this stops Windows from deleting the option if you don't connect via your PC to the NAS for 15 days (if I remember correctly from a blog I found?).
View attachment 62304

Pretty sure that's the method I found (and followed, successfully) a couple of years ago on the machine to which my network drive is connected. (An older Seagate "GoFlex Home" drive--not a modern one plugged into the router.)

Yeah this is such a major PITA, it's happened to me twice and both times it's taken days to remember the fix. Thumbs down for Microsoft updates (n)

I have not been able to connect to shared folders on other computers on my home network for a while after updates so I wonder if this might be a fix but when I checked those boxes where not activated but SMB Direct is. Checked my other computer and it was the same so I'll check SMB Server and Client and see what that will do. Thanks for the tip
1620258743986.png

Well, that worked and I can now see the other computers o the network but while connecting a Username and password is required. Down the rabbit hole I go

Back