RFC - 80s surround mixes for December

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi
The station I'm on (well, one of them) will not be playing any new shows for Thanksgiving week (it's an American thing). My next show (which will be the third in my series of remixed 80s music) will be on December 1st (with a repeat on the 6th). This gives me enough time to get it right (for a change). So I've finished 40 or so tracks and would appreciate any input on the mix, the quality of the decodes - anything you'd like to say about them.
couple of notes - on "Upside down" - there were 4 different lead vocal tracks - none seemed to be the one used on the original release, I'm thinking they used elements of several of these to create the final version - I just picked one that worked.
also - there are two versions of Every Breath you Take. One is a remix of the tracks used in the 1983 hit version - the other has a different lead vocal, done by Sting in 1985 called "every bomb you make" which he did for some TV show.
Everything else should be pretty much self explanatory.
these were made by mixing the the original stems or multiple studio tracks into 4.0 (in some cases 5.0) - then these new mixed versions were put through the Involve encoder to create mixes for broadcast.
I picked 1980s music, not because I particularly like it, but because it falls into the surround gap - after Quad, before surround.
all comments (pro or con) are welcome.
These are offered here only for research purposes, no rights are given or implied, and they will only be here for 48 hours. thanks.
qs.jpg

https://volafile.org/r/1axy0u0rr

Sounds great for me when decoding with my Surround Master 2. Channel separation and locatability is excellent. What I found especially interesting when listening to this new mixes in surround is how clear the voices and different instruments are to hear. Especially on the track "The Bangles - Walk like an Egyptian" I noticed the original stereo mix sounds like the instruments and voice are like a mush.
A completely new experience with this old and well known songs.

I am surprised that broadcasting stations have access to the multi track masters to do such remixes.

Sounds great for me when decoding with my Surround Master 2. Channel separation and locatability is excellent. What I found especially interesting when listening to this new mixes in surround is how clear the voices and different instruments are to hear. Especially on the track "The Bangles - Walk like an Egyptian" I noticed the original stereo mix sounds like the instruments and voice are like a mush.
A completely new experience with this old and well known songs.

I am surprised that broadcasting stations have access to the multi track masters to do such remixes.
Thanks for the comments. The stems and multi tracks are from private collections, still fairly hard to come by.

I don't know anything about this format but thought I would give these a try. Could only get stereo out of the downloads without much research. Don't have a hardware decoder. Going on a long road trip so dont really have time to research. Burned most of these to dvd-a via HDAudioSolo and mixed to 5.1 via the default vst. Currently shocked how well these turned out. Will give a good listen in my car and report back in a week. Oh, 23 tracks took up about half the dvd. Must be the 16bit. Probably not at all the intended use lol

Back