Rhino acquires Jefferson Starship & Hot Tuna Catalogues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And while I'm one who is reluctant to cast dispersions upon people I've never even met, after reading through all this stuff it might seem rather safe to say that Craig Chaquico seems to be a bit of a dick?

Never met him, so I wouldn't know . . . he joined the band at 17 (during a period when he was "being thrown around the showers at school," I remember reading in an interview), so the band might have been his whole life. He played solo in the Bay area in the 90s when I was there, but the only time I saw him play was with Starship (while Grace was still singing with them).

Mica Wickersham (daughter of Ron, the founder of Alembic, and builder of the Wall of Sound) was/is the girlfriend of a roommate I had in the very early 1990s, and obviously she dealt with a lot of musicians. Her take, she told me once, was that "all musicians are jerks!"

Never met him, so I wouldn't know . . . he joined the band at 17 (during a period when he was "being thrown around the showers at school," I remember reading in an interview), so the band might have been his whole life. He played solo in the Bay area in the 90s when I was there, but the only time I saw him play was with Starship (while Grace was still singing with them).

Mica Wickersham (daughter of Ron, the founder of Alembic, and builder of the Wall of Sound) was/is the girlfriend of a roommate I had in the very early 1990s, and obviously she dealt with a lot of musicians. Her take, she told me once, was that "all musicians are jerks!"

lol. She's probably right. As a musician, I can say I probably resemble that remark. At least at times. :p

But it does seem that ALL of this was Chaquico's doing. No one cared about Kantner using the name but him. (The entire JA/JS/Starship enterprise was kaput by this point and who else who have more right to use the name than he would?) and his going after Frieberg, Baldwin and the others seems to have been borne at least somewhat in the fact that they couldn't agree to play together in 2017.

There was also some claims in the court filings about them using his likeness in their advertising but apparently he was unable to produce any evidence that they had actually done so. And claims that their playing out as Jefferson Starship somehow discredited the reputation and legacy of the band.

The band may have been his whole life, but what harm was being done to him by any of these people going out as Jefferson Starship unless he just wanted some of the $$.

Presumably if Freiberg and Baldwin were both signatories to that 1985 Agreement he believed they had violated, than Slick, Thomas and Pete Sears were as well and none of them were apparently at all interested in going after anyone for using the name post 1991.

But I don't know his financial situation either. Perhaps he's hit upon hard times and needs to go after any bit of cash he can?

Last edited:
Or maybe he still wants to form a new JS. The entire JA/JS group had 50 lawsuits going at one time, but still played together from time to time. It was after they settled those lawsuits that JA did their 1989 reunion tour (to keep the rights, of course).

Last edited:
Or maybe he still wants to form a new JS. The entire JA/JS group had 50 lawsuits going at one time, but still played together from time to time. It was after they settled those lawsuits that JA did their 1989 reunion tour (to keep the rights, of course).

Well nothing is preventing him from starting his own band and, unless he gave up all claims to the JS name in what I guess is now called “The 2019 Agreement”, he can probably call it pretty much whatever he wants.

But “still wants to form” doesn’t give him much. It’s been 20 years now. The others have been playing and, as such, laying a legal claim to the name. He should have been out there doing it if that’s what he wanted to do.

And besides, his legal argument was that no one could use the name. Had he prevailed in court, that would have included him as well.

Last edited:
Being a San Francisco guy I have seen and talked to them all for years, from Golden Gate Park, Fillmore, Winterland, various festivals, Bill Ghram's funeral concert, years and years. Now it is old music that of course is great but just have listened to forever. I saw Jefferson Starship, only Paul Kantner, and others at San Mateo Fairgrounds for 10 bucks, just before he died.
My absolute favorite version is Starship with Mickey Thomas, to me he is the true voice of Starship.
This is the only CD Starship Greatest Hits that actually has all the hits, really good.
51O9S7dUQkL.jpg

Correction: I said the Friday Music re-issue was a 2-on-1. It is not - it is a double CD with each album on its own disc.
Need a copy? Here's one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183672261078?ul_noapp=true

182 dollars?! I was lucky enough to have a Japanese friend through the JA boards that was willing to ship me a copy of one of those (forget which but I have both) and it was 30 bucks plus shipping.

Of course that wooden ship obviously sailed away a long time ago. . . .

Well nothing is preventing him from starting his own band and, unless he gave up all claims to the JS name in what I guess is now called “The 2019 Agreement”, he can probably call it pretty much whatever he wants.

But “still wants to form” doesn’t give him much. It’s been 20 years now. The others have been playing and, as such, laying a legal claim to the name. He should have been out there doing it if that’s what he wanted to do.

And besides, his legal argument was that no one could use the name. Had he prevailed in court, that would have included him as well.

Oh well, we still have Jefferson Airship! To be honest, without Paul and Grace (dead or retired), what's the point of reviving JS.

Oh well, we still have Jefferson Airship! To be honest, without Paul and Grace (dead or retired), what's the point of reviving JS.
]

I’ve never had much interest in any of these old bands playing out again. Especially when they have just one or two original members. And even when it’s the real deal, I’d often just rather keep my memories of them at their peak rather than be disappointed.

The current version of JS played in my small town last summer for what I think was a free show. I didn’t bother to go see them, although maybe I should have. I heard they were quite good and that the female vocalist is quite good.

I’ve never seen Mickey Thomas’ band beyond the YouTube clips like the one I posted either. although he lives near me and he and his ex-wife Sara (yep) used to be regular customers at a video rental store I used to own. Nice enough guy.

I don’t begrudge these guys reviving their bands. You only live once and if it were me I might very well be out there playing my hits until I die on stage as well. Why not?

But I reserve the right to not be all that interested as well.

Back