Rhino Quadio Downloads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Admittedly, I'm drowning in discs these days. But in a nice way. :)

I can move between systems and cars because of this. I would not be adverse to having some albums on a USB stick but I could never see me relying on that as the primary asset in my collection.

I'm with Niel on this one. I'm one of those people who want to have liner notes available and would be concerned over losing it through a system crash or via a virus or attack. a point I didn't see was the ability to have a legacy. I see many selling off colections of older quad stuff/trades of media and sales. I'm 61, and wish to leave something for my kids. The value will always be there as people are getting 2-3 times the value of obscure recordings now, OOP stuff and rare will always be available with one scource or another. I'll take the physical media. Although I would down some stuff, it wouldn't be something that I would really like. I'd rather it on disc.

Neil had summed all up pretty much. really guys, it's not main concern of the storage. after all modern physical
audio medium doesn't take as much space, as in the past did LPs and lately the production of vynil from labels
have been on the rise. i also wouldn't rely too much on the handy HDD and recordable disc. i still have my first
CDs from the 80th in perfect working order but lost some stuff, recorded to DVD R in not so distant past.
another thing to consider is the cost and what you got for your money. ironically cost of titles from the main
i-sellers seems more expensive, than purchase of physical medium. you can buy SACD of DSOTM for about
$10 to $14 when at same time for this album in lossy mp3 iTune ask not negotiable $18
then again, you should consider that downloadable sales wouldn't prompt the labels to issue more surround releases.
physical medium was always their bread and butter and if there surround mix exist in lossless format, it can easily be
fit onto disc. it just beyond my understanding, why lately labels won't do so.

- who else here is for it/against it? and why? againstpretty much as per Neils arguement, i aso dont like purchasing pre recorded recordable media (CDR DVDR) , but that another story

- how do we make this happen? better if it didnt it cheapen's music

- who do you see in the music industry as best placed to sell 5.1 music downloads? (Apple? Amazon? Rhino? HD Tracks?) not one of them untill they all agree on a common format.

- what format do you think 5.1 downloads should be in, if they emerge at all? (Flac, wav, DD, etc..?) a format that can be easily burnt to disc (i.e. copy to disc then play in a CD or DVD player) by the layman with no training using software that is Free

The fault does not lie with Rhino, which has had most of their budget and autonomy taken away by Warner. The few people remaining there are frustrated at not being allowed to do much of anything, add to that they take the angry criticism of the music-buying public while not being allowed to say anything about the situation. Send your complaints to the president of Warner.

The fault does not lie with Rhino, which has had most of their budget and autonomy taken away by Warner. The few people remaining there are frustrated at not being allowed to do much of anything, add to that they take the angry criticism of the music-buying public while not being allowed to say anything about the situation. Send your complaints to the president of Warner.

what a mess! poor guys at Rhino must be tearing their hair out at this ridiculous situation :(

I would much, much rather have physical replicated media.
Hard Drives fail, downloads get corrupted, files get lost and download sellers go out of business - and what happens to my content if my drive fails, and they will notrenew the download link?
Physical media will last for a lifetime, properly looked after - written discs will fail within 5-10 years at best (I have so-called "100 year" CD-R here that are already unreadable because they were burned on a drive that is no longer here), and newer drives will simply not read the content. Likewise, even if I have all my audio on HDD, can I be sure the HDD will survive, and that future systems can access it - how many Mac users can still use FireWire or USB these days, for one and various interfaces have come & gone over the last 12 years to make it a very unsafe way to store my precious music collection.
Rhino need to stop being so cheap & paranoid - flat transfers cost them fuck all to author (or should do) to the point where a run of only 2,000 should make a profit - even if a small one, but a profit is a profit surely and isn't that what they are in business to do? Sell Records?
I have bought 2 downloads so far. One of which I can no longer get access to if I need to re-download it, and I have lost count of the download only software I have bought and regretted buying as the company either no longer exists or my link has "expired" after a pitiful 90 days. The labels are trying to make more money out of you without actually giving you pressed physical content that will survive - do not let them get away with this. Sure, backup to digital is good but here's a few thoughts.
I have here - and I am not even 20% of theway through - backups totalling 7 Terabytes of DVD, CD, DVDA etc. That's on 3 large drives. I need another 10 at least to complete the job, and should really do it all again to have double backups. Raid arrays also fail - I have seen these expensive NAS drives also fail, taking out 5 Tb of content at a stroke. Gone.
Then you need to spin them up every 6 months, ideally writing to & from to make sure the spindles do not freeze up (this also happens) and simply maintaining a large digital backup suddenly becomes a full time job. One that is not needed with pressed silver discs.

Rhino also need to stop being so paranopid about illegal downloads, and keep an eye open for them & take them down as they get put up. They also need to stop treating every download as a lost sale - this is unrealistic and has been discussed to death, so I will not reiterate here.
The labels are being lazy here, and because they keep sacking people who know their job & replacing them with accountants (who know nothing about selling music, treating every artist like a line in a supermarket instead of an investment) and dropping artists who do not make "sufficient profit to justify inventory" - translation:
They are making a profit, but we want more so are dropping them as we told our shareholders we would make more money this year, and we did not make as much as we hoped so it turns into a loss on paper. This is a true story too - from a real label. I will not name the names, but it is 100%true - heard at first hand by my own ears.

Will I buy a downloadable only version again?
I do not know - it is unlikely, to be honest.

I am 100 % in agreement with you. I don't want my expensive music purchases disappearing with unreliable computer hardware, not to mention the poor quality of compressed music. Then there is the COST of having to replace my computer and having to buy a high-speed connection. Do you know how long it takes to download just ONE SONG using dial-up (the only thing I can afford) ? A few years back, with the purchase of a CD, Sony offered a free download of one of the songs. An under 4 minute song took 40 minutes to download, in POOR MP3 quality! I will only buy physical media. And if they do away with it, as they are now threatening, I won't be buying any more music!

Women are very sensual beings. We love touch, and holding things. I wanna have something to look at and read while I listen. CD's generally had better notes, especially the remasters and compilations. LP's were the best packages, because the artwork was so cool. I have framed Moby Grape, Hey Jude, Santana and John Wesley Harding covers in my house. The SACD of Cheap Thrills is the best version, but the LP artwork was the best. The CD-4 cover of No Secrets beats the DVD-A and Q8!!

And, yes, I don't trust clouds or hard drives. A crash and you have nothing, temporarily or even permanently.

I am 100 % in agreement with you. I don't want my expensive music purchases disappearing with unreliable computer hardware, not to mention the poor quality of compressed music. Then there is the COST of having to replace my computer and having to buy a high-speed connection. Do you know how long it takes to download just ONE SONG using dial-up (the only thing I can afford) ? A few years back, with the purchase of a CD, Sony offered a free download of one of the songs. An under 4 minute song took 40 minutes to download, in POOR MP3 quality! I will only buy physical media. And if they do away with it, as they are now threatening, I won't be buying any more music!

What's next, a line of actual Rhino dung? Single Notes "quick-read" Kindle books from WEA & Rhino. I just received an E-Mail from them promoting this stuff. They are out of their minds!! They pull the plug on DVD-A & Quadio and won't release completed Quad/5.1 mixes. Yet, they have time for this stuff.

I'll gladly download something, rather than buying a physical copy, if it's available in the appropriate format. While concerns about HDs and the such are valid, you still hold the option of backing your stuff up, whether it's to physical disc or to, really, whatever you want it to be. I don't consider liner notes and the such, in 2012, to be enough to justify more clutter and waste when there's alternatives, at least for me. The days of large bookshelves holding thousands of CDs are long gone for me. I got rid of 90% of my jewel boxes years ago. I'd love to compact it all further. So many better uses for the space right now in my world.

The problem with downloads is the built-in obsolescence from computer manufacturers.
Already you will no longer find a Mac laptop with USB or Firewire, so what happens when your backup archive cannot be actually attached to your kit any longer?
It's gone.
I also do not believe for a minute that physical media will go away - this has been threatenedfor years yet still it persists.

Replicated, manufactured content is still king, fortunately.

What's next, a line of actual Rhino dung? Single Notes "quick-read" Kindle books from WEA & Rhino. I just received an E-Mail from them promoting this stuff. They are out of their minds!! They pull the plug on DVD-A & Quadio and won't release completed Quad/5.1 mixes. Yet, they have time for this stuff.

I grabbed the one free title they're offering, as the 70's post-punk scene would be interesting to read about. I'm curious as to how good a read they are. Diversification of product is good and, if they can make some money off of Kindle and IPad owners, I'm all for it.

Yes, in theory, there is nothing wrong with it. I'm all for anything music related.

Rhino and WEA's priorities are bass ackwards!! The energy they are expending on this project could be directed to releasing the multitudes of MC titles in their vault. That's my BITCH here.

Linda the bitch

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

I grabbed the one free title they're offering, as the 70's post-punk scene would be interesting to read about. I'm curious as to how good a read they are. Diversification of product is good and, if they can make some money off of Kindle and IPad owners, I'm all for it.

Back