Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My fav is Captain..ahh.. wait..I forgot about Vices and 'blackwater"...OH No, my fav is Stampede- with that beautiful hangman song....Oh mannnnn...Listen to the music is the one of their best songs and one of the first albums I ever bought as a teenager!!. Yikes!!! Ok, I have all of these on Q4's except for "Listen" , and I bought that one on a sealed CD 4. I have the hi res "captain" dvda purchased from best buy when it was first made available. Yep, I have them all in quad formats and regular formats (including 8 track tapes). In case you havent noticed I like the doobies. Will I buy The quadio? Does a woodchuck wood? Does a bear live in the woods? does.........

POST 666 .... the devil made me do IT!👿

One HELLUVA THREAD, Though!

If QUAD is a VICE ....I'm more than happy to be in its GRIP

See the source image

Last edited:
Absolutely! We should all buy this, regardless. I'm certainly going to, even though I have the 5.1 as well as the MoFi stereo SACD. I'm just saying that knifeman might want to go ahead and get the DVD-A of Captain in addition, at least while it's still available. That is, of course, if he likes the album enough. I like it more than any other Doobies album, so it's a no-brainer for me to own all available surround and hi-rez releases of it.
You're starting to talk me into this. I certainly do like the album, and I know the 5.1 gets rave reviews around here. For me, these four titles are the crème de la crème of the Doobies catalog. I really can't pick a favorite.

Wonder of wonders......finally. I'm guessing $70 retail.
$70 would be on the high side. $55 retail $44.98 at the discount houses is my estimate.

These are old tapes already recouped costs on mixing. BR disc pressing is mature business. They want to sell these, and sell them out by end of Christmas Holiday season.

You're starting to talk me into this. I certainly do like the album, and I know the 5.1 gets rave reviews around here. For me, these four titles are the crème de la crème of the Doobies catalog. I really can't pick a favorite.
I’m willing to bet that the price of the dvd-a drops after release of this set, at least initially

That would be fantastic. I'd pay twice that much.
I hate it when people say that they would gladly pay twice as much. I believe it drives prices up (especially when we know the marketing department is reading the forums here). I can't afford boxes that go north of $50 by much. I can not even get every DV SACD that I want at one time, and must only get a few at a time. And I got Bitches Brew 7" pack, but Can't get Live Evil 7" right now.

Also Quad / surround and physical media is in a tough place, it does not need high prices for its survival.

I hate it when people say that they would gladly pay twice as much. I believe it drives prices up (especially when we know the marketing department is reading the forums here). I can't afford boxes that go north of $50 by much. I can not even get every DV SACD that I want at one time, and must only get a few at a time. And I got Bitches Brew 7" pack, but Can't get Live Evil 7" right now.

Also Quad / surround and physical media is in a tough place, it does not need high prices for its survival.
I want prices as low as possible too, but I seriously doubt they will raise prices just because of one or two posts in a forum. Their marketing department's research is probably a bit more in depth than that. ;)

I want prices as low as possible too, but I seriously doubt they will raise prices just because of one or two posts in a forum. Their marketing department's research is probably a bit more in depth than that. ;)
Yes, that's what others thought too.

I think that the Doobies Quadio set's MSRP will be around $69.99-$74.99
Why that range?
The MSRP for the Chicago set (with 9 Blu-Ray audio discs) was $159.99 (averaging around $18 per disc) so for a set with 4 Blu-Ray audio discs, a $70-$75 price range seems perfectly fair (though after retailer discounts, I think the set will probably end up costing most of us around $60)

:)

I think will be around $60. But is the price determined by the number of blu rays or the amount of music? When they came out on vinyl, CTA, ll, lll, Vll were two record sets. Each album was then fitted on one blu ray.
None of the Doobie Bros quad albums were originally two record sets. So, it could be under $50. Which would be fantastic!

But is the price determined by the number of blu rays or the amount of music?
Think about it logically, from a business perspective: the number of discs presents a fixed cost that must be recouped. Certainly, there is greater expense in mastering and otherwise preparing for release a longer duration of music, but this is de minimis compared to mass production costs. Therefore, of these two, the more salient determinant of MSRP is number of discs.

Last edited:
Think about it logically, from a business perspective: the number of discs presents a fixed cost that must be recouped. Certainly, there is greater expense in mastering and otherwise preparing for release a longer duration of music, but this is diminimus compared to mass production costs. Therefore, of these two, the more salient determinant of MSRP is number of discs.
Think logically? My closest friends would say you’re asking a bit much from me 😂. I don’t know much at all about the music industry. I just know it ain’t what it used to be. But hey, I also learned a new word “De minimus,” I’m going to try and use it today.

Think logically? My closest friends would say you’re asking a bit much from me 😂. I don’t know much at all about the music industry. I just know it ain’t what it used to be. But hey, I also learned a new word “De minimus,” I’m going to try and use it today.
When I was working i used to use that word on occasion.

I’m willing to bet that the price of the dvd-a drops after release of this set, at least initially
I’m such a fan of the DVD-A format! I like the entire presentation and sound quality. I’d grab the Capt. & Me if the price was low enough.

It just seems more pure of a format to me. Like DSD, and DTS, as well as Dolby are all PCM converted to another format. I like my shredded wheat unfrosted plain original.

Think about it logically, from a business perspective: the number of discs presents a fixed cost that must be recouped. Certainly, there is greater expense in mastering and otherwise preparing for release a longer duration of music, but this is diminimus compared to mass production costs. Therefore, of these two, the more salient determinant of MSRP is number of discs.
I think it is less the number of physical discs than the number of albums. They could put all four albums on one BD, but the costs for licensing, royalties, etc would be the same.

but for those worried about the cost (and I agree that +/- $60 USD will probably be the price point) remember that most all of us would have gladly paid $25-30 a piece had a company like AF released each album separately.

under that consideration, anything under $90 for the set should probably be considered a bargain!

Last edited:
Same here.

Captain and Me is without question the worst, despite a few highlights (the two big hits). The other tracks have lots of sloppy mistakes, usually missing parts like South City’s missing harmony and the opening track’s roving “tricycle.” Both are restored in the DVDA 5.1 mix, which I prefer.

I‘d guess Captain was the first one so mixed, and Stampede clearly last, which likely explains a lot.

Missing parts/tracks on some of the old quad mixes is a frustrating reminder of how much the format was an afterthought at the time. Not that it would have likely made much difference towards the format's success, but still....

I'm reminded of the missing piano track on "Angry Young Man" from Turnstiles (how do you forget about the PIANO on a Billy Joel album???) or the missing acoustic guitar track that plays the intro MELODY on "Wishing You Were Here" from Chicago VII (and IX).

:mad:

Glad to hear that "Captain and Me" is the worst of the mixes as I'm happy enough with the 5.1 mix that this new/old quad release would probably just have been mostly a curiosity for me anyway and likely not played much. Unless it somehow blew away the 5.1, which I wasn't expecting.

It's the other three I'm most interested in having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back