Rhoda Scott - Live at the Club Saint-Germain SQ single-inventory LP and CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinylguy4

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Saw the LP for auction on ebay and thought that maybe this could be a SQ only release. Sure enough, the CD actually has the SQ logo on the front cover.
It's a double LP and I believe the CD has all the music from the LP version.
It is mostly just drums and organ, so not really something that really needs 4 speakers.
The sax is only on a couple songs, coming from the front, no vocals.
Funky jazz would be the genre.

vinylguy4

Last edited by a moderator:
According to an article in Billboard mag (June 21st 1975 page 71) this was a QS release by Barclay Records. There may be a Barclay advert accompanied by that album.

I don't think Barclay's quad studio ever had but the one matrix ....Sansui's QS .

OK, so I listened to the CD via the SMv2. This is a live recording with only organ and drums with occasional sax.
In SQ 4.1 mode, the organ and drums seems more focused in their positions. Is QS 4.1 mode, everything seem a bit more scattered with more bleed from front to back.
Audience applause came from back in SQ, came from everywhere in QS.
To me it seems like it is SQ, but not night and day difference.

OK, so I listened to the CD via the SMv2. This is a live recording with only organ and drums with occasional sax.
In SQ 4.1 mode, the organ and drums seems more focused in their positions. Is QS 4.1 mode, everything seem a bit more scattered with more bleed from front to back.
Audience applause came from back in SQ, came from everywhere in QS.
To me it seems like it is SQ, but not night and day difference.

Hey if she sounds good in SQ ,then go for it. I only have one album on Barclay. Tango by William Whiskers , also recorded in Paris.(Sansui QS emblazoned)

The front cover has an SQ logo
1642170517945.png

As does the back cover
1642170580949.png

I was happy to find this streaming on Amazon, listened to most of it yesterday in DPLIIm.
No idea if it's encoded, sounded much like any upmix from stereo organ trio.

I always appreciate a B-3 player who runs bass lines on the pedals.
Delighted to see Ms. Scott is still kickin them with her bare feet and has a couple of new albums out at age 80.

I'd say you should play the record in whichever mode sounds best to you.

Naah ,I'd stick with what it is
I'm surprised it's available and in SQ ....and on CD.

Also worth noting the advert in Billboard is announcing her performance at The Newport Jazz Festival.
Which at that time was being broadcast at at least two venues in New York City and was being broadcast in SQ by a local NYC FM Station .

Last edited:
Naah ,I'd stick with what it is
I'm surprised it's available and in SQ ....and on CD.

Also worth noting the advert in Billboard is announcing her performance at The Newport Jazz Festival.
Which at that time was being broadcast at at least two venues in New York City and was being broadcast in SQ by a local NYC FM Station .
I assumed there was no mention of which system it was in. SQ, definitely!

Yep July -1975 was the year.

Her name is not mentioned but the article goes :

WRVR FM Broadcasts The Newport Jazz Festival in SQ of performances from The Village Gate and The Hotel Drake.

Dave Brubeck , Paul Desmond ,George Wein at The Hotel Drake on the 27th
George Duke ,Andrew White , Ron Carter ,and The Jazz Sisters at The Village Gate on the 23rd
Cannonball Adderly , and Flying Island at The Village Gate on the 07th.

BB page 06 July 05th 1975

Back