Dual Disc Richard Thompson - Old Kit Bag DualDisc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Is there an album rating page for this one? Just got one and didn't get hopes up about DVD-A until the light lit up! No outward indication of 'Advanced Resolution' anywhere.

FYI - It pays to search for surround titles through Amazon.com. I bought this for $10.62 + $2.98 shipping.

Will review it soon.

Are you sure this is a DVD-A Tim? What label is it on?

This is a Silverline release.
If you look at the back cover, under the DVD logo, the writing is longer than just video, so must say audio/video. The type is so small you cannot read it. Yep, DVD-A.
I like the music better than Rumor and Sigh, + there is some good concert video content on the DualDisc.

Vinylguy4

definitly DVDA had this for a long time before i managed to spring for a 'Rumor and sigh'. I prefer Rumor but this is pretty good.

Are you sure this is a DVD-A Tim? What label is it on?

Funny, you dare not hope about these things amidst all the contradicting information out there. But there it is, a Silverline with honest 5.1 in DVD-A.

Silverline 284402-2
UPC 676628440025

Last edited:
I have never seen this one at any price I was willing to pay but I have seen it many times. I was aware it was DVD-A but this is the first confirmation that it is true 5.1, not the stunning faux 5.1 that Silverline used so often. If I see it at my usual Silverline purchase price threshold, I am going to grab it but I had almost given up. I have a bunch of Silverline discs I play often so I expect to actually like this one as well if I do get it.

Chris

I have had this one for awhile and though I am enamored of Thompson's guitar playing, his singing leaves me a bit cold. This is not one of his better efforts songwise. The playing is great, it is well recorded overall, and it is 96/24 5.1 DVD -A. The rear surround mix is a combination of ambience with a few background vocal and secondary guitar parts here and there - better than your standard Silverline but very conservative all around - the music is a 7 the mix is a 6.

"The Old Kit Bag" is his best studio album since "Rumor and Sigh" (not including the somewhat autobiographical "Mock Tudor" which was almost a live-in-the-studio effort). Richard Thompson's guitar playing is even more incandescent than usual, and the songs are uniformly strong both lyrically and musically -- a nice mix of rockers and semi-acoustic ballads but leaning towards a more hard-edged sound.

One of my favorites is 'A Love You Can't Survive' that is by turns tongue-in-cheek (a "peace volunteer" who kills a man in a street fight in Brazzaville, spends 5 years in prison, then after release becomes a wealthy drug kingpin) and elegantly poignant (he never again sees his lover he promised to reunite with in New Orleans); the whole song set to a melody that climbs from a gentle beginning to a burning crescendo of pain, loss, and longing.

Danny Thompson -- the incredible upright bass player formerly with Pentangle -- shines throughout, and the silver-voiced Judith Owens provides heavenly back-up vocals. Her duet with Thompson on the lilting "Word Unspoken, Sight Unseen" is marvelous.

Unfortunately, the 5.1 is a weak ambient mix. It's not even close to the fine, active surround mix created for the "Rumor and Sigh" DVD-A. There's good use of the rear speakers for the occasional guitar flourish (mandolin on "Outside Of The Inside") and some percussion, but overall it's a wasted opportunity for an adventurous surround experience.

10+ for the music; 5 for the surround mix.

I have never seen this one at any price I was willing to pay but I have seen it many times. I was aware it was DVD-A but this is the first confirmation that it is true 5.1, not the stunning faux 5.1 that Silverline used so often. If I see it at my usual Silverline purchase price threshold, I am going to grab it but I had almost given up. I have a bunch of Silverline discs I play often so I expect to actually like this one as well if I do get it.

Chris

Available here :

http://www.richardthompson-music.com/ukcd.asp

and here

http://www.theconnextion.com/richardthompson/richardthompson_index.cfm?ArtistID=138

Thanks for the tip on this - just picked up a used copy for $5.00! Can't beat that with a stick.

I now think it's a great little album. Good songs and a few standouts. Surround more evident on some tracks than others, not trying to make a statement that's for sure. But used effectively nonetheless....

I think this one is a solid effort all-around and sure makes me wish I could find "Rumor and Sigh". The mix is more ambient than adventurous as noted but sound quality is very good and I would give it a 7 overall if we had a poll. Like most other Silverline releases of recent music the company somehow managed to obtain rights to, a competent job was done in my opinion. It was harder to find at a budget price than most other Silverline titles I own.

Chris

Found this new and sealed at a used book/cd store for 6.98 so I bought it. I have Rumour and Sigh on dvda and some others on cd, so for 7 dollars figured I could not lose.

its a great disc and one which is a credit to Dual disc, not the most surroundy of music but genuine DVDA and plenty of extras incuding for those with ipods and teh whole album to load directly into i tunes.

I have both DVDAs and a whole lot of RT besides, he is remarkably cosistent

Back