HiRez Poll Richie, Lionel - JUST FOR YOU [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Lionel Richie - JUST FOR YOU

• 10: Excellent Mix, Excellent Sonics, Excellent Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
I am not a big Lionel Richie fan at all. But from the lack of surround releases i bought this one. And i must admit it is rather good. The music is pretty nice and the surround mix is quite good as well. A very nice surprise. I gave it an 8. :)

MIDIQ said:
I am not a big Lionel Richie fan at all. But from the lack of surround releases i bought this one. And i must admit it is rather good. The music is pretty nice and the surround mix is quite good as well. A very nice surprise. I gave it an 8. :)

Agreed. This turned out to be a very good Surround Sound SACD, and the music is good as well.

The 5.1 Surround Sound mix is by Al Schmitt and the same team that did the Carpenters SACD.

Interestingly, famed engineer George Massenberg is a big fan of the 5.1 mix on this SACD. In fact, at the AES Conference in SF last October, he said that Universal Music "made a mistake" by not nominating it for the Best Surround Sound Mix Grammy!

I'll let the folks here decide if they agree with that assessment.

Lionel Ritchie sounds just like the Lionel Ritchie you remember, but maybe a little more laid back these days. I bought this for my wife, who loved him when he was big in the '80s, but it didn't grab her and so it wound up in my pile of 'traders.' Might as well pull it out and give it another spin seeing as how this is still under 10 votes.

There are a decent number of discrete elements, though I don't think it's exactly dazzling in surround. Tracks 6 and 11 are the most obviously surround-y ones. #7 Ball and Chain is a pretty good track (NOT the Big Mama Thornton song, can you imagine Lionel doing that?) #13 "One World" isn't too bad either.

Pretty laid back pop, and worth looking into if that's your cup of tea. I'm voting 7 but if the music did more for me it could be a point higher, maybe two. It's going back into the 'trader' pile.

Mark Z

Aha, some great tracks on this: Heaven, She's Amazing, Do Ya - and the last one, a duet with D. Bedingfield, kicks right into a higher gear sonically, really. If the majority on this record would be on this level, I'd start my voting from 8.

Unfortunately, some songs are maybe bit more mellow for my taste and the otherwise pretty good and consistent mix by Al Schmitt is not always able to deliver fully.

Anyway, an re-evaluated album, three songs for my personal playlist and a strong 7 here.

Back