Rick Beato interviews Steven Wilson

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! It’ll be interesting to see how his approach differs from Scheiner’s on that one - it seemed like there was barely enough instrumentation to fill five channels, let alone eleven…
Clearly the master didn't want anything to do with Atmos, so it fell to the former student. Other albums I'd love to see tackled first, starting with Wavelength, but this one was obviously VM's biggest seller, so it makes sense for Warners to start there. Maybe they'll get to some others eventually.

I thought Morrison was still steamed about a 5.1 mix of Moondance being done against his wishes, though; I wonder if he was looped into this decision?

I've got one for the SW activity front. Rick Beato released a video interview with SW today. (link here):

SW talked about remixing Van Morrison's Moondance in Atmos (around 13:21) into the interview. Wow!

Otherwise, great interview. Mixing techniques, thoughts on the future of spatial audio, his music etc.

Last edited:
One thing I liked is how Steven acknowledges that many people are not like us in this forum, and they would not have the speakers amount requiered for a good listening. Then he rents some audition room with even more than his mixing studio 7.1.4 speakers, invite people, to close the eyes so they can enjoy a great Atmos session like they will never have anywhere else.

It shows how Steven likes the whole possibilities of Spatial Audio. Not only Atmos, as he also mention 360.

Last edited:
I hope many will listen to this interview who are not familiar with Porcupine Tree and SW's solo work and be inspired to check it out. The 5.1 mixes of In Absencia and Stupid Dream are super.
SW has my dreamjob; frontman of PT, solo success, and master of remixing classic albums into Atmos. Real life wizard!

That was a great conversation, thanks for posting! Lots of good insights & anecdotes in there.

Funny, I'm a fan of Electric Moo for a lot of the same reasons. And Zeit!! Haha, I laughed when he mentioned that.

Ps if you have a Surroundmaster, "Zeit" sounds amazing fed thru it. All those drones get panned into an ethereal sonic bath. I posted about it in the "stuff that sounds amazing thru the surroundmaster" thread a while back.

AFAIK none of those early Tangerine Dream records were ever mixed into surround. Details here, on this very site:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/tangerine-dream-sq.1802/

I've got one for the SW activity front. Rick Beato released a video interview with SW today. (link here):
WOW, What a dynamite interview of Steven Wilson !!!
He one of my favorite people in the music industry.
In this fairly hard hitting video he talks about the current music industry trends
and the realities the 2020 distribution model. I'm not sure exactly why but at a couple points you'll notice Rick Beato's face turn decidedly embarrassed red ???
But Steven refuses to pull punches in a PC manner. :p

SW talked about remixing Van Morrison's Moondance in Atmos (around 13:21) into the interview. Wow!

Otherwise, great interview. Mixing techniques, thoughts on the future of spatial audio, his music etc.

I don't remember listening to such a fascinating, insightful, and honest man in years.

He is truly an enigma.

His expose on how people listen to music really made me sit up and think...

In fact, everything he said made me sit up!!

Brilliant.

I don't remember listening to such a fascinating, insightful, and honest man in years.

He is truly an enigma.

His expose on how people listen to music really made me sit up and think...

In fact, everything he said made me sit up!!

Brilliant.
Blew me away as well. Spending a little over an hour in rapt attention with Steve and Rick was an absolute Sunday afternoon DELIGHT. Steve's heroes from artists as diverse as Donna Summer to one of his all time favs [Tangerine Dream's ZEIT], Elton John and David Bowie [BTW, I just watched Bowie's Moonage Daydreams] and how people listen to music today [SPOTIFY] with NO knowledge of the artist they are listening to was indeed an ear opener.

But love how Steve kind of evaded Rick's question when asked what surround titles he was currently working on ...... probably still TOP SECRET until they're released. Thrilled to hear Van Morrison's MOONDANCE will be awarded an ATMOS remix but didn't Van have an absolute 🐂 when Warner released it on BD~A in 5.1 without his permission?

But totally agree with Steve's philosophy that ALL music across ALL genres is the way to go ... Stockhausen, Philip Glass, Miles Davis, Punk, POP, even Disco [Bee Gees/Saturday Night Fever] constiututes a well rounded listener.

Bravo to Rick Beato for such an insightful and enjoyable interview with the man of many colors ... Mr. Steve Wilson.

Last edited:
Back