Rick Wakeman - Return to the Center of the Earth

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo, where’s that cryptographer when you need him! :smokin
Maybe not cryptography more like cryptovideo......
addams22.gif

Only on the 40th Anniversary tour in 2014
I saw Rick Wakeman's original Journey to the Center at Madison Square Garden. What was different is that the band came out for a second encore. I don't recall what they played but Rick just said they had nothing else rehearsed so they played something they had already performed during the show.

According to the 'blurb' another LOSSY DVD~V included and if we learned anything from Rick's recent RED PLANET UPMIXED DVD ..... LOSSY DD 5.1?

If a stand alone LOSSLESS BD~A was offered down the pike ..... I'd surely 'bite!'
Happy Thanksgiving Ralphie, I am with you on that. I think I will just stick to original that I got a few years ago, was it SACD or DVD? I can’t remember?

Did anyone here see Rick Wakeman's Journey To The Center Of The Earth your/concert when he toured?
I saw it at the Hollywood Bowl - absolutely amazing. I saw him again at the Anaheim Convention Center a year or two later and it almost lost me as a fan.

The original mix was Dolby-surround encoded - was there no discrete master that that Dolby-encoded stereo mix was derived from?

Who says there has to be a discrete master?

When I mix to DS, I go directly from the original parts to the finished matrixed product, doing the encoding right on the mixer. This removes any artifacts caused by converting a discrete version to a matrixed recording.

Happy Thanksgiving Ralphie, I am with you on that. I think I will just stick to original that I got a few years ago, was it SACD or DVD? I can’t remember?

Markie, you're probably confusing the two DVD~Audio releases of Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry the Eighth and The Myths and Legends of King Arthur which were created from Vinyl needledrops of respectively the SQ and CD~4 vinyl in 2016.

Did anyone here see Rick Wakeman's Journey To The Center Of The Earth your/concert when he toured?
I saw Journey at the open air Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne in 1974(?). He had a large chunk of the MSO on stage with the Melbourne Chorale and David Hemmings narrating. Spare no expense Rick! I think the tickets were $12.50 each to sit on the hill.

Last edited:
Markie, you're probably confusing the two DVD~Audio releases of Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry the Eighth and The Myths and Legends of King Arthur which were created from Vinyl needledrops of respectively the SQ and CD~4 vinyl in 2016.
Actually I have the Journey To The Center Of The Earth, released 2016 as a DVD-A. Six Wives and The Myth whrere released 2015.
This link Discogs Info shows what I have.

Just catching up with this thread. I was exceptionally fortunate to be at the concert at the Festival Hall that you can hear on the record. It was great to be there not least as it was the start of Rick's orchestral rock career. Rick's sense of humour came out fully in the encore with the Pearl and Dean Symphony. This was a pastiche of (then) well known music from adverts shown at the cinema (movie house). It was quite brilliant to hear and not repeated, as far as I know, for many years. I have heard him reprise it more recently but, for the life of me, cannot remember when.

I also went to the ice show for Myths and Legends at Wembley Arena (then known as the Empire Pool) in 1975. Seemed mildly insane but still very entertaining. For those of you who have not yet seen him live you could try out his New Year show which is on his new internet home of Rick's Plaice on 3 January. I gather it is a mix of his music and comedy. £15 for us over here and $19.49 or 16.49 Euros wherever you are. Cheaper than one of his concerts! (Well, actually I probably didn't pay anything like that in 1974!!)
https://myticket.co.uk/streams/Rick_Wakeman_Ricks_plaice

Back