Rick Wakeman & The English Rock Ensemble - “The Red Planet” CD+DVD out 4/3/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
preordered 👍

does anyone know who mixed the surround?

See the source image

Pre~ordered too .......

Last edited:
I sent a note on Rick's website (RWCC > Rick Wakeman's Communications Centre) and got the following answer:
Rick,
There are a ton of fans on QuadraphonicQuad (see link below) that have pre-ordered The Red Planet. We are all super fans of anything quadraphonic/surround, and hearing the news that The Red Planet is going to have a surround release is making us all crazy...we cannot wait for this release.
Can you share any further details about the release? Everyone is very interested in who mixed the release, and the audio quality that will be included in the DVD package (e.g., 24/96 or higher).

They sent back this reply:

We cannot release any details at the moment Mike, but it's being mixed by someone "significant". And yes, we hope it will be a hi-res release.
Best regards,
Wayne
RWCC

I sent a note on Rick's website (RWCC > Rick Wakeman's Communications Centre) and got the following answer:
Rick,
There are a ton of fans on QuadraphonicQuad (see link below) that have pre-ordered The Red Planet. We are all super fans of anything quadraphonic/surround, and hearing the news that The Red Planet is going to have a surround release is making us all crazy...we cannot wait for this release.
Can you share any further details about the release? Everyone is very interested in who mixed the release, and the audio quality that will be included in the DVD package (e.g., 24/96 or higher).

They sent back this reply:

We cannot release any details at the moment Mike, but it's being mixed by someone "significant". And yes, we hope it will be a hi-res release.
Best regards,
Wayne
RWCC

Steve Wilson, maybe? As for hi res on a DVD with video footage: My guess 96/24 stereo and 'lossy' DTS 96/24 or DD 5.1.

They could've eliminated the pop up special 'packaging' and put the money toward a Blu Ray disc! DUH!

Last edited:
I guess a lame response is better than no response :unsure:
They have been able to gather enough detail to offer socks & coffee mugs for sale and yet can't confirm who is mixing it or if it will be in hi-rez.

Glad they got their marketing priorities in order.

I don't understand the need for such secret ism around who is mixing it and the lack of knowledge about the audio codec. However, I pre-ordered anyway.
Maybe they just don't know yet, as Rick is still recording the album (according to his tweets). The release deadline may be a bit tight, hopefully they don't rush with the mix

And then you get the responses as though no one involved (literally people in the industry) really knows how this mysterious stuff and all these formats work.

I still think there's a marketing driven mindset at play sometimes with this stuff. The thing where you intentionally create reduced quality to hit a price point. But you're doing it by degrading the "high end" version because it's cheaper than designing a new "mid level" version. This has been around for a long time and is only getting more common in industry. This concept applied to recordings is appalling of course but there are just enough marketing people who don't even listen to music involved that the logic behind it flies.

If that sounds conspiratorial and stupid (and I think it does a bit)... What's the explanation for screwing up then if that's the case? Some of the people involved (audio engineers and producers) are just complete screw-ups that don't even understand audio formats?!

Anyway, I hope this album of his is interesting!
That first album is still a winner. The quad mix is the real version there too. In fact, his first 3 solo albums have this quality that sounds like the main effort went into the quad mixes and the stereo mixes were merely made to be placeholders. A bold forward thinking kind of vibe embracing surround and dismissing stereo as the past.
The next two albums had moments. The quad mix is a required element of those IMHO. And I am kind of saying that a lot of the music doesn't hold up just by itself.
The moments are really brief after that for me with a lot of '70s filler kind of sound and questionable awkward vocalists. So I hope this is more of a return to the more progressive earlier work and Yes-sounding stuff! And I hope the surround mix will be more of the main event and the stereo a cheap knock-off more like the first 3 solo albums and not one of those dreadful treating surround like a novelty mixes.

Maybe they just don't know yet, as Rick is still recording the album (according to his tweets). The release deadline may be a bit tight, hopefully they don't rush with the mix

Regardless of whether he is still recording or not, one would think a proper production plan (or even a half-assed one) would have previously lined up a mixer.
Seems like Wakeman lined up the merchandise shop & album graphics early enough.

First name of the mixer is Erik (as posted by Wakeman. I think he refers to Erik Jordan, who has mixed some of his previous records. I guess no previous experience on surround, not sure about it.

The press release and website indicate that the this is produced by Rick Wakeman & Erik Jordan. So I guess it is a safe bet that the referred to "Erik" is Erik Jordan. It seems that he has a fair deal of experience in working with Rick, other proggy artists, movie soundtracks (including Lord of the Rings) and the stray country artist (Clint Black's Christmas Album). Could not easily find any 5.1 releases to his credit but that doesn't mean he didn't.

I just ordered my copy too! Apparently there is still pop up copies available according to my confirmation. That is good for me but does that mean it ain't selling too well? I have to admit I like the idea of the pop up much better than scarves and marbles. I am more likely to lose marbles...

I just ordered my copy too! Apparently there is still pop up copies available according to my confirmation. That is good for me but does that mean it ain't selling too well? I have to admit I like the idea of the pop up much better than scarves and marbles. I am more likely to lose marbles...
??? In English please?

Regardless of whether he is still recording or not, one would think a proper production plan (or even a half-assed one) would have previously lined up a mixer.
Seems like Wakeman lined up the merchandise shop & album graphics early enough.

The press release and website indicate that the this is produced by Rick Wakeman & Erik Jordan. So I guess it is a safe bet that the referred to "Erik" is Erik Jordan. It seems that he has a fair deal of experience in working with Rick, other proggy artists, movie soundtracks (including Lord of the Rings) and the stray country artist (Clint Black's Christmas Album). Could not easily find any 5.1 releases to his credit but that doesn't mean he didn't.

I've already voiced my opinion on this release: I would rather have them put the release on Blu Ray in HD video and LOSSLESS 5.1 and dispense with the gimmicky, probably pricey POP UP gizmo.

And if those scarves aren't cashmere or the marbles, terrazzo marble ... what's the point?

edit: sorry, this reply referred to post #33 above...from poster SAL1950!

edit: sorry, this reply referred to post #33 above...from poster SAL1950!
Ahh, sorry, having a senior moment, happens to me sometimes.
Now the lights went on.
They can keep all the garbage, just give me a lossless multich download at a reasonable price and keep the rest, that's all I need.
Thanks, Sal

Ahh, sorry, having a senior moment, happens to me sometimes.
Now the lights went on.
They can keep all the garbage, just give me a lossless multich download at a reasonable price and keep the rest, that's all I need.
Thanks, Sal

It's a very common reference around these audio forums. Scarves and Marbles is jabbing fun at bloated box sets that include coasters, post cards, guitar picks, smelly underwear, etc. Now, in this case, the reference to Pop UP is real. Just check the pre-order.

Back