Rick Wakeman & The English Rock Ensemble - “The Red Planet” CD+DVD out 4/3/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What??? How is the surround mix?
I wanted to finish listening to it before replying, so it's Dolby Digital and when it first started playing I thought it sounded a bit dull, but having listened through I've got used to it's sound and it's OK. I wonder who did the surround mix? it is pretty good actually, definitely discrete and plenty going on. I'm sure it could sound better in another format though.
DSC_0779.JPG

I wanted to finish listening to it before replying, so it's Dolby Digital and when it first started playing I thought it sounded a bit dull, but having listened through I've got used to it's sound and it's OK. I wonder who did the surround mix? it is pretty good actually, definitely discrete and plenty going on. I'm sure it could sound better in another format though.View attachment 58270

WOW!!! i'm a gonna tear it open right NOW!!!! 💘

Mine arrived too in this morning's post. What a surprise to also discover the DD 5.1 audio option as reported above by our friend in Wales. Now had the chance to listen to it and it has made me appreciate the album far more than the few spins I gave the stereo version. Initially, I was more impressed with the second part of the album (compositionally speaking) but the spread of the sound and a few effects that now manifest themselves on the surround version (i.e more than enough going on in the rears) have made me revise my opinion. I know that shouldn't make any real difference to liking an album so it was a bit of a wake up call to me. Yup! a very good set of tunes and a very acceptable & immersive surround disc.
One thing does occur though......there's going to be an awful lot of pissed off people out there who cancelled their orders when we informed that the 5.1 mix was not going to be included on the DVD. And, given that the official line from from the originators had confirmed this, I can see a whole tirade of comments suggesting that 'heads should roll'.
Anyway, a lovely (and now completed) package of CD, DVD, pop-up sleeve and signed on the front. Thanks Rick!

I just had my The Red Planet DVD delivered SURROUND? YES!View attachment 58267
Well, holy crap! So, did the DVD just arrive un-announced, or you received an additional email saying it was coming? I ordered this set, but like others, only received the CD with the fold out stuff. Will I be getting the DVD too? I thought it was scrapped for some reason.

You ordered it on Feb 11...post number 3
Damn, good find. Still, music tracker was after that. Those emails I have.......I also see where I requested cancellation. Music Glue responded by saying that I would hear from the seller "Rick Wakeman" to confirm cancellation. I never did, and I never pursued it. I mean, how do I get ahold of Wakeman? :LOL: As a result, I still received the CD, no DVD.

Well, holy crap! So, did the DVD just arrive un-announced, or you received an additional email saying it was coming? I ordered this set, but like others, only received the CD with the fold out stuff. Will I be getting the DVD too? I thought it was scrapped for some reason.
It just came in the post out of the blue, no email, nothing. I threw the disc in the player to see wether there was surround, and there it was! I posted on here fast to let you all know.

Damn, good find. Still, music tracker was after that. Those emails I have.......I also see where I requested cancellation. Music Glue responded by saying that I would hear from the seller "Rick Wakeman" to confirm cancellation. I never did, and I never pursued it. I mean, how do I get ahold of Wakeman? :LOL: As a result, I still received the CD, no DVD.

That website doesn't have a place for emails....he seems to be on instagram and twitter...I doubt you want to go there...

Reactions: GOS
I received an e-mail from RRAW Enterprises Ltd on 19th October with these words....

For those of you who ordered The Red Planet DVD, Rick Wakeman Music Emporium General Manager is VERY pleased to report that they are are now finally shipping.

The delay was caused due to the pressing plants in Poland and Czech Republic starting to struggle on delivery dates due to staff shortages. This is due to a knock on effects of COVID – for example, both GZ and TAKT have been hit in the past few weeks, mainly through staff shortages in hand packing (caused by people having to isolate or look after children who test positive). TAKT did have a positive case in the printing house which meant a whole shift had to isolate which has had the knock-on effect with printing delays – it was a bit of a moveable feast. Hopefully, this goes some way to explain the recent delays we have been experiencing on The Red Planet DVD.

We are truly sorry for this but we are sure that you will understand a lot of this is beyond the Emporium (and Ricks) control. However, given the content on the DVD we sincerely hope you with think (like we do) the wait was worth it.
The Emporium Team

As can be seen, there is no mention of the actual content on the disc - that's a discovery only made when popping it the player! And, as you will have seen from the screen shot, the 96Khz high res stereo version is also included along with the three promo films that we have already seen as the pre-release stuff and seven videos on the 'The Making Of.....' - Rick, Lee Pomeroy, Dave Colquhun and, finally, Simon Heyworth on the mastering process.

The disc came by second class post in a card envelope (a bit larger than the CD sleeve) and inside a typical plastic 'envelope' sleeve holding/protecting the disc with a thick card coaster advertising 'Rick's Plaice' his new podcast series. No credits, no content info.....nothing else!

I received an e-mail from RRAW Enterprises Ltd on 19th October with these words....

For those of you who ordered The Red Planet DVD, Rick Wakeman Music Emporium General Manager is VERY pleased to report that they are are now finally shipping.

The delay was caused due to the pressing plants in Poland and Czech Republic starting to struggle on delivery dates due to staff shortages. This is due to a knock on effects of COVID – for example, both GZ and TAKT have been hit in the past few weeks, mainly through staff shortages in hand packing (caused by people having to isolate or look after children who test positive). TAKT did have a positive case in the printing house which meant a whole shift had to isolate which has had the knock-on effect with printing delays – it was a bit of a moveable feast. Hopefully, this goes some way to explain the recent delays we have been experiencing on The Red Planet DVD.

We are truly sorry for this but we are sure that you will understand a lot of this is beyond the Emporium (and Ricks) control. However, given the content on the DVD we sincerely hope you with think (like we do) the wait was worth it.
The Emporium Team

As can be seen, there is no mention of the actual content on the disc - that's a discovery only made when popping it the player! And, as you will have seen from the screen shot, the 96Khz high res stereo version is also included along with the three promo films that we have already seen as the pre-release stuff and seven videos on the 'The Making Of.....' - Rick, Lee Pomeroy, Dave Colquhun and, finally, Simon Heyworth on the mastering process.

The disc came by second class post in a card envelope (a bit larger than the CD sleeve) and inside a typical plastic 'envelope' sleeve holding/protecting the disc with a thick card coaster advertising 'Rick's Plaice' his new podcast series. No credits, no content info.....nothing else!

Why wouldn't everyone who ordered, get that email? I did not.

Back