Rick Wakeman & The English Rock Ensemble - “The Red Planet” CD+DVD out 4/3/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow!! 🤩 Simon Heyworth did a great upmix!! 💗👍

Was it indeed an UPMIX, EAGLE EARS?

See the source image

I can provide some context around the decision for The Red Planet "surprise" 5.1
The mix was done by Simon Heyworth from the stereo master, not from discrete tracks. It was therefore not marketed as a true surround sound mix, but instead created as a "thank you" to the fans for their patience with the DVD being so delayed and not having the launch event footage as originally intended. There are no current plans to distribute the mix in any other format.
Wayne
RWCC

Thanks for positing Wayne @lowwhistler . May I ask if the surprise 5.1 upmix is on the the second disc of the versions now being sold by retailers like Amazon & ImportCD?

By the way, I have always appreciated Simon Heyworth's work. Love the surround mixes he did of Anthony Thistlewaite's Phillip's catalog. (Edit: I screwed up there)

Last edited:
Thanks for positing Wayne @lowwhistler . May I ask if the surprise 5.1 upmix is on the the second disc of the versions now being sold by retailers like Amazon & ImportCD?
The only source of that DVD is from us because it's literally just back from manufacturing. I honestly don't know the status of any stock in the channel. I will try to find out from the warehouse.

wow!! 🤩 Simon Heyworth did a great upmix!! 💗👍
He sure did Adam...👍
Got mine today. Nice touch with the included beer mat..Rick's Plaice.
I was not expecting this to happen, so it's a very nice surprise when artists take time to look after their fans.

I personally think this release is Rick back to what he does best.
:QQlove

By the way, I have always appreciated Simon Heyworth's work. Love the surround mixes he did of Anthony Thistlewaite's catalog.

what format was Thistlethwaite's work released on in 5.1?

what format was Thistlethwaite's work released on in 5.1?

So sorry - I screwed up.
Anthony Phillips not Thistlethwaite .

I was listening to the Waterboys when I replied last night & I guess I wasn’t paying attention - That’s my story and I am sticking too it.

Apologies

Last edited:
I was going to comment on the sort of "big mono" approach vs more discrete. What seemed like that approach where most of the sounds are anchored in mono and then with some elements of them extended somewhat discretely here and there. I was wondering if the center channel was a mistaken mono fold down of the front L/R which is a mistake I've seen before.

It's an upmix?! Well, that sure explains all that then! Assholes...

I have to say that I don't hear any strikingly obvious artifacts. Phase anomalies, flanges, wind chime effect, etc. The fidelity seemed on point in general. No volume war blastication. Disappointed at treating myself to a compromised first listen none the less! The center channel should have been a giveaway in hindsight.

Going back in with the stereo then. This is still the best thing I've heard from a Rick Wakeman solo album since 6 Wives though. Upmix shenanigans or not!

It's an upmix?! Well, that sure explains all that then! Assholes...

I have to say that I don't hear any strikingly obvious artifacts. Phase anomalies, flanges, wind chime effect, etc. The fidelity seemed on point in general. No volume war blastication. Disappointed at treating myself to a compromised first listen none the less! The center channel should have been a giveaway in hindsight.

while i mostly got it for the promise of genuinely new surround music from an artist i like and i'd rather a genuine mix from the multi's (which i'm sure was the original intention) i'm not as disappointed as you are that we got an upmix.

the implication is Simon Heyworth did it as a sort of gesture of goodwill to the surround faithful, which he didn't have to do.

some may see it as a damage limitation exercise and others as a pisstake doing an upmix but no faint praise i'm happy they did it rather than nothing and for this paying customer who was disgruntled at the surround no-show, the upmix ploy, i mean gift, worked! 😂🙈🙉🙊😋

Back