Rick Wakeman & The English Rock Ensemble - “The Red Planet” CD+DVD out 4/3/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a quick 180...
Sure. It still sounds great overall. Nothing jumps out as "wrong". That with actually liking the music was a good first impression. The initial noticing of an odd center channel and the big mono thing didn't make the first comment. Just more of a "what the heck?!" reaction to finding out I wasn't listening to the mix as actually intended on first listen. Like when you accidentally leave some eq on from the last thing you listened to. I've screwed up the first listen!

That's all.

I've streamed this album a handful of times and am really impressed by it! Wonderful instrumental record. Its a bummer I missed out on the upmix, but i'll probably bite and get the vinyl release at some point.

I was quite surprised as I have not been following this thread that I received a plain white package today from Rick's Plaice, opened it and a Red Planet DVD was in clear plastic. Popped it in player and low and behold it is the surround version of The Red Planet.
Two audio choices, 96KHz Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1.
Sounds great, nothing out of this world but I did purchase way back when for a surround disc and it arrived, certainly without fan fare.
There is an EXTRAS choice also that is quite a few items.

After seeing so many reports of people receiving their DVD yesterday I sent and email to them asking about mine - I'd changed addresses and getting that done months ago was a real chore....it seemed that anyone I emailed passed it on to someone else.

But of course, the day after ending the email, I got the DVD in the mail today and hope to give it a listen later this evening.

I received a shipping confirmation from ImportCD saying they sent me a 2 disc version of this release. Fingers crossed the second disc has Simon’s up mix.

Made a mistake and posted this on the “Return to the Centre of the Earth” thread yesterday. Oops

Hi

I don’t understand at all. What is the edition you are receiving?

Folks who pre-ordered the deluxe edition in April got their CDs in pop-up packaging delivered in August.
Production of the DVD was delayed.

star-science-officer-star-the-red-planet-cd-and-dvd-in-deluxe-limited-edition-pop-up-packaging

Can you put a photo please?

The DVDs were mailed late in October and are now arriving in the USA.

No angry emails or threats were necessary.
Delivered as promised.

IMG_5122.jpeg

Received a 2 disc copy w/pop up cardboard case from CDimport.

I can confirm the DVD disc has the DD5.1 option. Looks like the same disc and menu that have been posted before.

Haven’t listened to the mix other than the first minute to confirm the decode format.

The back of the sleeve is different with the barcode (same sku 5 though) in the middle, no box indicating it’s a limited edition.

Received a 2 disc copy w/pop up cardboard case from CDimport.

I can confirm the DVD disc has the DD5.1 option. Looks like the same disc and menu that have been posted before.

Haven’t listened to the mix other than the first minute to confirm the decode format.

The back of the sleeve is different with the barcode (same sku 5 though) in the middle, no box indicating it’s a limited edition.
I got mine from ImportCDs as well and it does have the DD 5.1. I only listened for a minute to check it, but that minute did sound pretty good. I am not too familiar with upmixes either but I didn't hate how the brief listen sounded. However, the stereo version says 16/48k on my blu-ray player, Not 96k. I don't know if having a player that can play DVD-A would change that since mine can't. The 5.1 says 48k.

Here's some pictures of what I got:
IMG_3900.JPG
IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3902.JPG
IMG_3903.JPG

Hey!

This is pretty decent 5.1 mix.
Certainly plenty of unique activity in the rears.

Glad I took the risk of picking it up at ImportCD.

I got mine from ImportCDs as well and it does have the DD 5.1. I only listened for a minute to check it, but that minute did sound pretty good. I am not too familiar with upmixes either but I didn't hate how the brief listen sounded. However, the stereo version says 16/48k on my blu-ray player, Not 96k. I don't know if having a player that can play DVD-A would change that since mine can't. The 5.1 says 48k.

Here's some pictures of what I got:
View attachment 59354 View attachment 59355
View attachment 59356 View attachment 59357

Quite DISAPPOINTINGLY, The Stereo codec on the DVD is INDEED 48/16b, not 96/24 as indicated on the disc's menu. Methinks this 5.1 "UPMIX" and the Stereo tracks on the DVD were 'RUSH jobs' to satisfy all those who initially complained why NO 5.1 remix and thus canceled their orders.

While the DD 5.1 sounds more than decent, the failure at the very least to include a LOSSLESS 96/24 Stereo codec for the price they're charging is pretty bogus.

BTW, the stand alone RBCD of RED PLANET @ ImportCD is about $10.......so that LOSSY DVD roughly adds another $27+ to the package...which, if you do the math, is roughly equivalent to TWO Dutton Vocalion TWO~FERS [that's 4 QUAD albums, folks]! RIP OFF!!!!!!

https://www.importcds.com/red-planet/636551818926

Last edited:
Back