Rip Audio From DVD and Mantain Original Quality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VSCurtis

Hi Guys,

I have a question and I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have the Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Boxed Set. Disk 3 contains five recordings of the album in different formats. Two are 5.1 two are quad and the last is stereo. I have been trying to figure out how to rip the DVD, find the audio files, separate them into the various tracks and save then in MP3 format and maintain the original sound quality. I'm new to doing this kind of thing. I'm a software engineer so I have the skills to do it, I just lack the experience. So far I have been able to demux the DVD and I found 5 audio files so I'm guessing that these files are the various versions of the album. I've also tried using Handbrake to save each if the five versions into an MP4 video file. Handbrake successfully finds all 5 files as well, but I'm unsure of what the correct parameter values are for each file. As you can tell I'm stumbling around trying to figure out the correct process. I have a wide variety of software at my disposal so I'm sure I can get this done. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

1. You say "save then in MP3 format and maintain the original sound quality." Converting them to MP3 will not (can not) retain the original sound quality.
2. Here are two of the best programs for doing this with clear information about which file is which and with many useful options: DVD Audio Extractor and XRECODE 3. Easy to use and reliable.

Hi There,

You are at the start of a glorious path... muhahahaha.

Firstly, as above, mp3 is by design lossy. You cannot keep the original quality using mp3. I recommend flac (free lossless audio codec) as it is a relatively well supported format by audio software and hardware - though clearly not as well supported as mp3.

Secondly, there are many ways to go here, but I also suggest trying DVD Audio Extractor (DVDAE). It is a paid product for the full version but the value I've personally got from the application is immeasurable. DVD, DVDA, Bluray support. This will do your tracks for you. Much less stuffing around.

Lastly, maintaining the original quality can end up slightly weird. I'm going to post my understanding with an invitation for anyone to correct etc... so typical audio formats on DVD's (this will make more sense if using DVDAE):

PCM - usually stereo - lossless format - just convert at same bitrate, frequency and channels to the original; should fully preserve original audio.

Dolby AC3 - various channels - a lossy compressed format that is completely different to flac. I backup at 16 bit, 48kHz, preserving channels of course. Not sure what others do but there may be a weird couple of bits lost in the process.

DTS - various channels - a lossy compressed format (not as lossy as AC3, though). After way too much thought, now converting at 24 bit (up from 16 bit) preserving the original channels and frequency (normal DTS at 48kHz, DTS at 96/24 96kHz). Should more or less preserve original.

Have fun :)

Last edited:
Also MakeMKV and Audiomuxer are free programs also

And yeah to the .....keep the 5.1s and Quad and even stereo originals - you will wanna convert them to flac files. mp3 can not do 5.1 or Quad and is lossy.

Good luck and keep us up to date with any questions and how it is going

Welcome to QQ also :LB

Last edited:
1. You say "save then in MP3 format and maintain the original sound quality." Converting them to MP3 will not (can not) retain the original sound quality.
2. Here are two of the best programs for doing this with clear information about which file is which and with many useful options: DVD Audio Extractor and XRECODE 3. Easy to use and reliable.
Yeah, I kinda get that. I know that the minute you convert a file from one format to another you lose something and I haven't been able to find a conversion program that let's you specify sound quality and such. This is new territory for me. Ask me to write a program or design a database and I got you, but I love to learn new stuff. I'm 52 years old and I still love trying new things and testing myself. Thank you for pointing me to these programs. I will check them out. I'm sure they will be very helpful.

Thanks for all your help with this guys, much appreciated. I understand the issue with MP3s. All my other music is MP3 so that's why I was going there. I will check out all your suggestions. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. Thanks again guys.

Well the sound quality is the sound quality on the disc - flac will keep that sound quality even for CDS - so say you are converting a CD to mp3 320 - you are losing a lot - flac will convert to CD quality or whatever quality is on a dvd or bluray - Snood converts his CDs to flac for CD Quality and also MP320 for jogging/walking or whatever.

If the DVD sound quality is 24 bits by 48 - 24/48 or say the Bluray is 24.96 or 24.192 flac will maintain that quality

Snood is by no means a sound wizard like a lot of the peeps here at QQ, so that why me speak like this.......putting it as me knows it. lol

let us know if you need more help.

Question for you - what do you play your discs on?? Whether DVD or Bluray or even CD? Are you able to hear it in Quad or 5.1? Even if you are not currently able to...........you still wanna rip those files for future use perhaps.

Also a heads up on the DSOTM immersion sets........rip that bluray as soon as you can......there is a well known bug with the Immersion bluray if it came for Europe. There is a good chance perhaps that it will eventually just stop working. They did a replacement program up to early this year, was able to get 2 replaced.........think there might be a couple here still hoping to get something back.

Good luck and let us know

My discs are ISOs being mounted and played on my PC. My PC is a custom build Ryzen 7 decked out to the max. 32 gigs of RAM an 8 gig video card and Bluray DVD burner. I've got $1,500 in the box alone and 2 grand in the total system. Speakers are Logitech 5.1 surround sound. Not the cheaper $80 set. These puppies cost me over $300. Sound card is a SoundBlaster AE-5. I've always wanted to build a totally decked out system, so I saved up and built it a little at a time. Thanks for the heads up about the DVDs.

Nah man the DVDs are fine and will be fine - it is the 1 Bluray disc that might go bad

The Bluray has all the 5.1 and Quad stuff on it it his res 24.96 resolution

But I see what you are talking about on one of the DVDs the 5.1 and Quad in lower res Dolby 448 and 640 Kbps - those dvds will be fine and yes DVD Audio Extractor might work fine for the DVDS :LB

DISC 3 – DVD 1, ALL AUDIO:
- The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
- The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps
- The Dark Side Of The Moon, LPCM Stereo mix (as disc 1)
- The Dark Side Of The Moon, Alan Parsons Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape in 1973) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
- The Dark Side Of The Moon, Alan Parsons Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape in 1973) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps

Keeeeeeeeeeep us posted and sorry for the confusion

Thanks guys you've been a big help and I've learned a lot more about the various audio formats than I knew before. Or should I say I understand more now. So am I correct in assuming that the best I can get from MP3 is high quality stereo quad and 5.1 are not possible? If 5.1 isn't possible then why does Amazon offer MP3 downloads of 5.1 versions of different albums? For instance there's a 5.1 mix of Rush's 2112. My music references are giving away my musical tastes. Yep, I'm a ROCKER. Hip Hop NOISE can go to BLAZES!

Fraunhofer tried a decade ago or more to do a multichannel version of MP3 but it never caught on, for MCH stay lossless with Flac which can go up to 8 channel hirez.

I see there is some extension of mp3 out there for multichannel but ...

I think it best to move towards lossless, flac being the best bet. You won't regret it. And you won't rerip it later :) (unless data corruption etc gets you)

In terms of CD's to flac... Exact Audio Copy :)

Personally, I transitioned from mp3 to flac in 2009. I only have Moving Pictures from Rush but... it's rock with everything branching from that here. I'm listening to Nick Cave right now, a 5.1 of 1994's Let Love In album...

Was in IT moons ago. Can talk sql.

Cheers

Well I guess I've got some thinking to do now that I'm a little more clear on the subject. Not sure I want to convert my entire collection to flac files. I just finished a major reorganization and cleanup of my existing 110 GB collection. Rush is the reigning champ of my collection. 60 albums including albums compilations bootlegs and boxed sets. There are only two albums from Rush that I don't care for, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels. As far as I'm concerned Neil Peart is best drummer walking the planet today. All others bow before him. If any of you need any help with IT issues hit me up. Once again, thanks for all the help

Thanks for the additional information. More food for thought. For me it wont just be converting and preserving multi channel audio. If I decide to do it then it will be a total conversion, not just the multi channel audio. I'm a purist. I don't like having multiple file formats so it's an all or nothing deal for me. Now I have the information I need to make an informed choice. Thanks for all of your help and support.

Thanks for the additional information. More food for thought. For me it wont just be converting and preserving multi channel audio. If I decide to do it then it will be a total conversion, not just the multi channel audio. I'm a purist. I don't like having multiple file formats so it's an all or nothing deal for me. Now I have the information I need to make an informed choice. Thanks for all of your help and support.

Exactly what i tought and did years ago. I converted everything to Flac, first starting from the CD collection and the BIG help of a 50-disc loader, then with the assorted MCH formats (Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD-A, SaCd, BluRay). And now everything is playable everywhere, for MCH provided the sistem can deals with more than 2 channels. Never went the MP3 way because for me it didn't cut, being lossy.

I just finished a major reorganization and cleanup of my existing 110 GB collection.

Which nowadays can fit in a 13euro usb thumb drive. Got one as a gift for Xmas and out of curiosity looked for it... i was shocked on seeing how low have gone the prices for these.

For me the only thing flac gets me is a solution to the existing problem. I don't run into the multi channel issue that much and the only reason it matters to me is because I wanted to be able to add the complete Dark Side Immersion set to my library. I'm still thinking it over. You guys are a huge help and not at all like the people I meet in other forums. Every other forum I've ever visited is filled with arrogant idiots who think their way is the only right way instead of trying to help me solve whatever issue I came looking for help with. You guys have answered my questions without being arrogant idiots and I appreciate that.

Which nowadays can fit in a 13euro usb thumb drive. Got one as a gift for Xmas and out of curiosity looked for it... i was shocked on seeing how low have gone the prices for these.
My media library consists of more than just music. I have audio books, movies TV shows, and motion comics. My media drive is a 10 TB external USB hard drive with an addition 10 TB drive being used as a mirror backup. Currently the drive is 4.39 TB full. That's NOT fitting on a thumb drive.

you can use sox to convert between formats, hz, but everyone above it correct. You want to rip to flac and rip everything for future use.
I use makemkv, ffmpeg and MKVToolNix for BR most DVD. I use DVD Audio Extractor for DVDs which MakeMKV doesn't chapter correctly. One of these days I may even check out why.

Back