RIP Jim Seals Dead at 80 (Seals & Crofts)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
RIP
Reportedly, Jim succumbed to cancer. He was the brother of the late Dan Seals of England Dan & John Ford Coley. Had 4 albums released in Quad: Summer Breeze, Diamond Girl, Unborn Child and I'll Play for You. Seals also was a member of the Champs "Tequila!" S&C hits included Get Closer, Summer Breeze, Hummingbird and Diamond Girl. I'm complete on their CD-4's and CD's. Originally bought all the LP's.

KTSA San Antonio story on native Texan Seals:
https://www.ktsa.com/70s-hitmaker-texas-native-jim-seals-dies/
One of my favorite S&C deep tracks, Cause You Love from their 3rd LP Year of Sunday:

Live streamed within the last hour, note Teac 3300 in background, 33 min chat on S&C:

Thanks Linda for the update.....I am incredibly sad to hear this news....I had the great opportunity to record an album with both Jim and Dash back in the early 90's for Mercury Records here in Nashville (unfortunately never released due to deal being dropped) and it was a hell of an experience for me.....I was always a big fan of both of them and they sounded as good as they did in the 70's and it was a real hoot for me hearing their voices coming out of my studio monitors. They both had an amazing ability to layer voices with each other so tight it sometimes was hard to tell who was who!

While I was working with them I told them of my love of Quadraphonic mixes and that I had all of their quad albums.....They told me they never had the chance to hear the quad mixes of their records.....so after a session one night, I played some cuts from their CD-4s and they LOVED it!!!

On a side note....they argued constantly with each other while in the studio like an old married couple about how to sing or play a musical passage and sometimes it was kinda stressful.....but damn......that friction between them resulted in AMAZING music output that always blew me away how good it was.

I'm attaching a pic of a CD-4 Summer Breeze album they signed for me and is an honor to have.

I think tonight I will pour me a big scotch and listen to some Seals and Crofts and relive some great memories.

RIP Jimmy......You sure made an impact on me!!!

Mike

Attachments

• album.jpg
    album.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Thanks Linda for the update.....I am incredibly sad to hear this news....I had the great opportunity to record an album with both Jim and Dash back in the early 90's for Mercury Records here in Nashville (unfortunately never released due to deal being dropped) and it was a hell of an experience for me.....I was always a big fan of both of them and they sounded as good as they did in the 70's and it was a real hoot for me hearing their voices coming out of my studio monitors. They both had an amazing ability to layer voices with each other so tight it sometimes was hard to tell who was who!

While I was working with them I told them of my love of Quadraphonic mixes and that I had all of their quad albums.....They told me they never had the chance to hear the quad mixes of their records.....so after a session one night, I played some cuts from their CD-4s and they LOVED it!!!

On a side note....they argued constantly with each other while in the studio like an old married couple about how to sing or play a musical passage and sometimes it was kinda stressful.....but damn......that friction between them resulted in AMAZING music output that always blew me away how good it was.

I'm attaching a pic of a CD-4 Summer Breeze album they signed for me and is an honor to have.

I think tonight I will pour me a big scotch and listen to some Seals and Crofts and relive some great memories.

Mike
Awesome story AND signed CD-4!!!!
It would have been awesome to hear their voices coming out of my monitors too...too bad that album never got released.."music RACKET" indeed!
I bought a cut out copy of their very misunderstood (and , of course, that makes it MY FAVORITE) LP, "Takin' it easy" which happened to be signed and , thanks to your pic, I can honestly say that it their autographs are legit!!!
Rest in Peace Jim!
S+C TiE.JPG

Mike
What an Awesome Memory to have!

RIP
Reportedly, Jim succumbed to cancer. He was the brother of the late Dan Seals of England Dan & John Ford Coley. Had 4 albums released in Quad: Summer Breeze, Diamond Girl, Unborn Child and I'll Play for You. Seals also was a member of the Champs "Tequila!" S&C hits included Get Closer, Summer Breeze, Hummingbird and Diamond Girl. I'm complete on their CD-4's and CD's. Originally bought all the LP's.

KTSA San Antonio story on native Texan Seals:
https://www.ktsa.com/70s-hitmaker-texas-native-jim-seals-dies/
One of my favorite S&C deep tracks, Cause You Love from their 3rd LP Year of Sunday:

Live streamed within the last hour, note Teac 3300 in background, 33 min chat on S&C:

Crofts was also with The Champs.

S&C music of the early-mid 70's sure had a major impact on what I would cherish later in life (Now). The big AM89/WLS back then always played their tunes frequently. Just being a young teen without a care in the world hearing these songs on my little Realistic radio...laying in my bed...window open and warm humid air blowing through. Wide open farm land, no air conditioning, just an amazing memory that I cannot erase. I guess the feelings I have when these artists pass is sort of like a part of my memory has been erased, even though it hasn't. An odd feeling of sadness for sure.

.... Just being a young teen without a care in the world hearing these songs on my little Realistic radio...laying in my bed...window open and warm humid air blowing through. Wide open farm land, no air conditioning, just an amazing memory that I cannot erase....
Excellent comment GOS. I often feel that even though I have thousands of dollars worth of equipment now, and the quality of recording and media has gotten better over the years, the music will never sound better than it did when I was listening to it on a cheap radio in my teens. When it was all new and every song would drill right into my soul. Amazing memories indeed and thank God that we can't erase them.

Very sad, second of the Seals brothers to go, both helped create the set list of my youth.
John Ford Coley is one of my Facebook friends. He wrote a very moving post about Jim's passing. He was clearly crushed. He said that it was Jim who gave Dan the nickname "England Dan", which stuck on his and John's albums. John and Dan often sang on some of the Seals and Crofts songs. So now, both brothers are gone, both from cancer. I imagine they're making some beautiful music in Heaven.

Back