RIP Keith Emerson

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned about it today... I'm having a very very tough day. It hurt as if a friend I've known for years died.
Nothing is gonna change, but I'd sure like that further details about his passing came up. I always had a impression he had a positive attitude towards life. He's been through many ups and downs and could smile about it. Wonder what could have happened.
But again, nothing is gonna change.

Greg Lake has now posted a statement:

To all ELP friends and fans all over the world, I would like to express my deep sadness upon hearing this tragic news. As you know Keith and I spent many of the best years of our lives together and to witness his life coming to an end in the way that it has is painful, both to myself and to all who knew him.

As sad and tragic as Keith’s death is, I would not want this to be the lasting memory people take away with them. What I will always remember about Keith Emerson was his remarkable talent as a musician and composer and his gift and passion to entertain. Music was his life and despite some of the difficulties he encountered I am sure that the music he created will live on forever.

My deepest condolences go to Keith’s family.

May he now be at peace.

Greg Lake.

I am sorry to read that Keith was so tormented by comments posted on the internet. Surely with all he had accomplished he had earned the right to a peaceful retirement in which he could spend time with his girlfriend. I suppose as a lifelong musician known for his virtuosity he was facing a real challenge to his identity, and ultimately he chose to opt out of the public attacks over what he had lost. It is a shame that so many on the internets use the veil of anonymity to launch mean spirited tirades which few would consider delivering in person.

I am grateful for the music this man made in his lifetime, and I will not allow the method of his departure to in any way reduce my enjoyment of his wonderful legacy. Thankfully he lived in an era where his genius could be captured and preserved so as to be enjoyed by the generations to follow. Thank you Keith!

I am sorry to read that Keith was so tormented by comments posted on the internet. Surely with all he had accomplished he had earned the right to a peaceful retirement... It is a shame that so many on the internets use the veil of anonymity to launch mean spirited tirades which few would consider delivering in person.

Hear! Hear! Fourplay, well put,

I would just add that there is an additional dynamic that worsens the effect of these internet nobodies. Similar minds will then unite from one or two original detractors and then a shark's feeding frenzy will start, or sort of a wolf-pack mentality, to rip someone to shreds. Alt.music.YES on usenet has been absolutely ruined by this anomaly.

I've noticed personal & brutal attacks at the other HiFi forum. A member will strongly state that a musician should stop playing or not release remixes or remasters or just "leave things alone". How do these people get the entitlement to think they can tell others what to do? I suspect its from their own fear that any change will alter their own memory or perception of an artist or an artist's work... Whatever...

I am particularly saddened to hear that Keith may have given credence to these malcontents and that their ignorant viewpoints affected him, even in the slightest. Its flabbergasting to contemplate that someone so great & accomplished like Keith Emerson could be affected by such base & cowardly behavior of strangers.

Amazing!!! Thank you for posting. Does anyone know if the ELP version of this song is available in surround? I think I read that this was originally a B-Side from Brain Salad Surgery.

There was a ~4 min edited version released around the time of Works 1 (1977) as a single; it was the A-side, the B-side was a rerelease of the track 'Brain Salad Surgery', a non-album track from that earlier album. The full ~9 min version is on Works 1. It's never been remixed into surround. I get nice 'ambience' for the synth horn intro, and good separation of the band parts on the rest of the track. when I run the 2 ch version through DPL II.

Trilogy was my 3rd bought album I think, I saved up and got it when it came out, so Keith's death was quite a shock. He was good friends with Lemmy, his one-time roadie, who gave him the knifes he used to stab his Hammond with. One report I read said he was deeply affected by Lemmy's & Bowie's deaths. Its disgusting to think that people trolling him on line, considering his illnesses, he had a severe nerve problem with his right hand, could have pushed what every obituray has said was a senstive and very likeable soul over the edge.

They had a special 'One man and his prog" last night on Planet Rock (UK) dedicated to Keith Emerson, with clips of his interviews/programmes with Rick Wakeman. It was a really fitting tribute. So I have along drive up to work on Monday mornings, so I listened to the 1st ELP, Tarkus, & Pictures At An Exhibition on the way up, what a loss to music.

A nice tribute today from Peter Gabriel:

The music world suffered yet another loss last week with the very sad suicide of Keith Emerson.
Tony Banks and I were both big fans of Keith’s first successful group, The Nice. It was sometimes a four piece with Davey O’List, Lee Jackson on bass and Ian Hague on drums. With ‘Rondo’ and ‘America’ and Keith’s theatrics, it was without doubt one of the most exciting live groups in the UK. The group was initially produced and managed by Andrew Loog Oldham, but brought in sports journalist Tony Stratton Smith when they fell out with Oldham. It was because of The Nice that Genesis ended up with Tony Stratton Smith.
Many more people were aware of ELP (Emerson, Lake and Palmer), which played to much bigger audiences, but for me it was the intensity, excitement and musicality of The Nice’s music that was particularly inspiring. Not many people know that Jimmy Hendrix was so impressed that he asked to join the band, and I was always sad I never saw them play together.
Keith’s passion for good music, whether it was classical, jazz or rock, was in itself one of the things that led the progressive rock movement.
It is sad to say goodbye to him.
- pg

The music world suffered yet another loss last week with the very sad suicide of Keith Emerson.
Tony Banks and I were both big fans of Keith’s first successful group, The Nice. It was sometimes a four piece with Davey O’List, Lee Jackson on bass and Ian Hague on drums. With ‘Rondo’ and ‘America’ and Keith’s theatrics, it was without doubt one of the most exciting live groups in the UK. The group was initially produced and managed by Andrew Loog Oldham, but brought in sports journalist Tony Stratton Smith when they fell out with Oldham. It was because of The Nice that Genesis ended up with Tony Stratton Smith.
Many more people were aware of ELP (Emerson, Lake and Palmer), which played to much bigger audiences, but for me it was the intensity, excitement and musicality of The Nice’s music that was particularly inspiring. Not many people know that Jimmy Hendrix was so impressed that he asked to join the band, and I was always sad I never saw them play together.
Keith’s passion for good music, whether it was classical, jazz or rock, was in itself one of the things that led the progressive rock movement.
- pg

- pg

It's nice to hear all the good words from fellow musicians. Puts it all in perspective, his importance that is.

It's nice to hear all the good words from fellow musicians. Puts it all in perspective, his importance that is.

So true, but it does not take the pain away.

Keith single handedly made me decide to become a musician in my own right. I found my talents were better suited behind the drums, but I have always been influenced by the way Keith wove his musical webs.
His unique chord progressions, arrangements and ability to always come up with that "Keith Emerson" sound, they are all testament to his enormous gift as a musician.
He has given us so much to remember and enjoy.

For all that I thank Keith. The man was an influence on me, as much as Frank Zappa was. May they jam together eternally.

I learned a long time ago there are two types of people in this world those who are intelligent and sit and discuss world events and other intelligent items and then we have those who take Delight and sitting around reading The Inquirer and talking about other people only because they lack knowledge education intelligence to discuss anything else these are the people who make personal attacks against those who are somewhat famous or famous because they have absolutely no f****** brains

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

I learned a long time ago there are two types of people in this world those who are intelligent and sit and discuss world events and other intelligent items and then we have those who take Delight and sitting around reading The Inquirer and talking about other people only because they lack knowledge education intelligence to discuss anything else these are the people who make personal attacks against those who are somewhat famous or famous because they have absolutely no f****** brains

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Yaaaaaaaaaaay leeevitalone is back :banana:

Welcome back buddy :smokin

I remember him doing the spinning piano bit at Chicago's Soldiers Field sometime in the 70s.
They where the headliners of a massive all day show with J. Geils, Foghat, and a few others I don't remember now.
The days of NO reserved seating, NO limit on ticket sales, and all that.
What an insane day it was.

OH yea, here it is,. you can see that the stairways between the seat sections are lined with people sitting on them.
Trying to get to the washroom was ordeal beyond belief.
If I remember correctly there was a trampling tragedy somewhere shortly after this and these type of concerts were banned.
46bdf6a3516f2d1bef970f738b8775a0.jpg

RIP Keith!

It should be amazing. Do you know if the blu-ray has a 5.1 mix?
Hi Progfiend
It's a two-CD and two-DVD package. Unlikely to be 5.1, I'm afraid :( . Burning Shed are usually quite reliable in mentioning when something is 5.1, and they don't. (And if it was, may just be audience and echo in the back speakers.)

But I really felt I had to get it anyway! Still looks amazing, plus good value and I like the charity aspect. And I was there 'from the beginning' so to speak, buying the first album when it first came out. And I saw Keith at the Barbican in London in 2015 - possibly his last major concert. I even had my photo with his famous gear stack (well, famous to us).

You've probably seen Rachel Flowers doing Tarkus on it? (With that presumably being her carer by her side.) If not here it is, because it's a total must-watch:

Last edited:
Hi Progfiend
It's a two-CD and two-DVD package. Unlikely to be 5.1, I'm afraid :( . Burning Shed are usually quite reliable in mentioning when something is 5.1, and they don't. (And if it was, may just be audience and echo in the back speakers.)

But I really felt I had to get it anyway! Still looks amazing, plus good value and I like the charity aspect. And I was there 'from the beginning' so to speak, buying the first album when it first came out. And I saw Keith at the Barbican in London in 2015 - possibly his last major concert. I even had my photo with his famous gear stack (well, famous to us).

You've probably seen Rachel Flowers doing Tarkus on it? (With that presumably being her carer by her side.) If not here it is, because it's a total must-watch:

I've been scouring the net for any hint of 5.1, but to no avail. I will likely buy it anyway, as it does look fantastic, and the charity aspect is worthwhile, as you said.

Hi Progfiend

HOLY FORK!!!
I was going... "it seems that she can't see very well..."(DUH!!!)

Back