RIP Keith Emerson

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Failed Muso

800 Club - QQ All-Star
From the ELP Facebook page...

Keith Emerson (1944 - 2016)

We regret to announce that Keith Emerson died last night at his home in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, aged 71. We ask that the family’s privacy and grief be respected.

For any other enquires, please contact [email protected]

:(

Listening to the new 5.1 DVDA of "Brain Salad Surgery" while still in a state of disbelief.
First Bowie, then Glenn Frey, and now Keith. The music really is dying away.
I go to the Moody Blues concert next Sunday night with a greater appreciation of the lives that all three current members still lead.

RIP Keith. :(

Not another one. The people who adorned my walls with posters (which I still have) are passing away. It is turning into a terrible year for my youth. God bless him and his family.

RIP Keith

In Concert was the first ELP album I heard as a lad as my auntie had seen the show at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal and she played the LP to death after it was released.

RIP Keith, thanks for all the wonderful music and great shows.

Wow, this one really hits me hard.

A friend just rang and asked had I heard, and I hadn't and nothing on the BBC news, it just appeared 35 minutes ago on the BBC website. So sad, another great musician leaves us. RIP Keith Emerson.

Very, very sad news. I've seen him perform numerous times starting in 1977. Another great one gone. Time to give the Bowie tunes a rest and spin some ELP.

Sadly I never got the see ELP in the earlier days. I had really wanted to see the Toronto show in Dec 73 but just didn't have the money at the time - being 14 I had limited ways to get vinyl and concert funds. My first time was in Detroit in '77 with the orchestra...blew me away...intensely loud but crystal clear sound. Saw them a few months later n Toronto with no orchestra...still a good show but the stadium sound was not great and it just was not quite the same without the extra orchestral punch. I went to both Toronto shows in Feb 78, lucky to have a 2nd row seat for one of them - great to be so close! Many years later I saw the Black Moon show in Vancouver, which was at the end of the North American leg of the tour....they were back...they did a really good show, and it seemed they had found a way to be "ELP" but not just nostalgic. Sadly though, as is often with ELP it seems, things happened (Keith's arm surgery, bad direction decisions etc) and it all went awry.

I had a ticket to see the Emerson & Lake show in Colorado Springs and had spent the day in the car driving up from Abq only to have Greg fall ill at the last minute and cancel. I was really disappointed, not just because of the time wasted driving, but it seemed like such a great show for them to do...strip it down, do the storyteller thing, without having the pressure to add all the ELP pomp to it.

Still, in the end I feel pretty lucky to have seen the shows I did, and I've got those fond memories forever.

Not to make this any sadder, but there are now reports he died of a gunshot to the head and it is being investigated as a suicide.

Completely devastated to hear the news. Without a doubt, the greatest pianist/keyboardist in the history of rock 'n' roll. His playing was technically brilliant but always fiery and passionate as well. Despite his immense talent, he was an incredibly kind man without an ounce of ego on him who I had the good fortune to meet on several occasions. When meeting him, I was always amazed how important it was to him to know if his fans had enjoyed the show. I remember an Emerson, Lake & Palmer concert in Burlington, VT where I had a front row seat. A friend had gotten me a backstage pass for after the show. I walked up to Keith and he said "hey, I saw you rocking out in the front row!" That night ELP had opened with an new, unreleased piece of music called "Crossing the Rubicon." I asked him about the new piece; he seemed nervous about premiering the new material and wanted to know what I thought of it. I told him how much I liked it and a big smile of relief came over his face.

Keith Emerson's impact on me was tremendous. After every time I saw him perform, it would inspire me to spend extra hours at my piano. I know I will never achieve that level of greatness, but he, more than any other musician, inspired me to work harder to become a better musician.

Thank you for all the joy and beauty you brought into my life. RIP, Mr. Emerson.

Well, wow...if it's suicide...I honestly don't get it. Depression is a bitch, granted, I don't suffer from it...but still....I don't get it. :(

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh just heard about this :( yeah Snood lives under a rock, but wow...........all the greats 8(

Back