RIP Michael Bishop

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

Screenshot_20210330_125344.jpg

Wow. Too young. Ten Grammys (including two for best surround album)--and a major figure in the development of digital hi-res and surround recording. At Telarc, he was game for everything, starting early with Dolby Surround, Spatializer, etc. The dozens of 5.0 SACDs he engineered for Telarc in the 'aughts include a whole lot of stunners.

Seems like he continued to mix and monitor in 5.1, even when the recordings were only released in stereo.
https://tapeop.com/interviews/109/michael-bishop/
https://www.mixonline.com/news/engineer-michael-bishop-uses-atc-monitors-recording-projects-428003

A GREAT LOSS INDEED to the audiophile community and to avid music lovers everywhere. Michael Bishop and his cohorts, Robert Woods, Elaine Martone and Robert Freidrich were the nucleus of, IMO, one of the greatest independent recording teams in the history of modern recorded music......TELARC RECORDS. I am happy to say I have almost ALL of their Multichannel and Stereo SACDs including their early Soundstream recordings which I count among my most treasured physical discs.

When TELARC withdrew from the music scene, it was a sad day indeed and I did follow Michael Bishop's foray into Five/Four Productions but the magic which this small independent label managed to capture, which included almost all genres of music, never regained its once prominent status.

R.I.P. Michael. Your legacy will live on and now more than ever those stacks of TELARC SACDs will always be a potent reminder of your unending commitment to sonic excellence, impeccable taste and perserverance in a business which unwittingly swallows up independent record companies in mergers which, most unfortunately, diminish their initial goals.

See the source image

See the source image

Back