RIP Sarah Dash of Labelle

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R.I.P. Sarah 🎤

R.6232031c67270e508625f8a73a98c20f

1945 ~ 2021

RIP

On a visit to Korvettes (RIP) in 1975, I found three new Quads: Blow by Blow - Jeff Beck, New City - BS&T, and Nightbirds. All I knew about Labelle is that they were a girl group who did several albums on WB. I had Nyro's "Gonna Take a Miracle," on which they appeared. So, I took a chance and bought Nightbirds. What a FANTASTIC RECORD! Instantly, it became one of my favorite Quads. Great mix and spectacular music. I rebought it on CD and AF Quad SACD. Most of my plays have been the SQ.

Labelle was sooo much more than just Patty Labelle, major talent though she is. Three supremely talented women and a great backup band. A huge loss, for sure.

RIP

On a visit to Korvettes (RIP) in 1975, I found three new Quads: Blow by Blow - Jeff Beck, New City - BS&T, and Nightbirds. All I knew about Labelle is that they were a girl group who did several albums on WB. I had Nyro's "Gonna Take a Miracle," on which they appeared. So, I took a chance and bought Nightbirds. What a FANTASTIC RECORD! Instantly, it became one of my favorite Quads. Great mix and spectacular music. I rebought it on CD and AF Quad SACD. Most of my plays have been the SQ.

Labelle was sooo much more than just Patty Labelle, major talent though she is. Three supremely talented women and a great backup band. A huge loss, for sure.

A Magical pairing indeed, Linda. Laura and Labelle

First time I heard of Sarah Dash was in the credits to Rick Derringer's "All American Boy" album (1973). Then I saw her in the credits of maybe hundreds of other albums and realized she was one of the very top backup vocalists one could hire for sessions. Always in the company of A-List talent and sessions.

She leaves behind a major legacy even if it is a bit obscured by the headliners on the given works.

I saw Sarah Dash as a member of Patti La Belle & the Blubelles as the opening act for The Who in 1971 during The Who’s Next tour at The Forest Hills Tennis Stadium ( former home of the US Open). It seemed an odd opening act for The Who but I enjoyed them nonetheless - they were loud! RIP

Just listened to Nightbirds, which I knew, back to back with Phoenix, which I didn't. Another great album, with another fabulous Don Puluse mix, more slinky, hard-edged tunes, and a repeat appearance by Allan Toussaint and The Meters. Why mess with a good thing?

Back