Rip Vangelis

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djstephan

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Very saddened to hear about his passing yesterday due to the coronavirus.

Mostly known for his Oscar winning score for Chariots of Fire, he did a number of other film scores, Blade Runner , 192 Conquest of Paradise and many others.

He was a member of the Greek outfit Aphrodite's Child (along with Demis Roussos) and he later embarked on a very accomplished solo career. A very influential electronic musician he frequently ventured in another genres as well. In the 80's he collaborated with Jon Anderson of Yes.
In 2021 he released Juno to Jupiter a tribute to Nasa's mission, it's available along with many of his other work on Apple music.

This one hurts. He will be missed.

Last edited:
R.I.P. Truly a musical visionary

R.335de70e9755be22eec4aad004de7926

1943 ~ 2022 Age 79

Started long long long ago with Chariots Of Fire- And I'm thinking of trying to do a Penteo-Upmix of this fantastic piece of music. Just listening to my CD right now...

Sad indeed.

They all live on through their recordings and music which is more than most of us......
totally agree!
and even if you are not a famous musician, you should also put out your music in the Ether or the Net (see what I did there? ether..net) anyway... I have done my part, and even though it is on my ex's page, I was the one who brought her songs to life...I really hope that one day someone will find these hidden jewels and give them the recognition I think they deserve....

So sad. My friends think one of my weird quirks (there are definitely others, lol) is that I love 60s / 70s Greek rock. Each time I'm in the Plaka, I visit the flea market near the subway station where you can find lots of cool music, and from various compilations I was turned on to various bands and musicians from the same early era as Vangelis. But none of them matched the BLADERUNNER soundtrack!

He went out in a blaze of glory, so to celebrate I'll dig into some of my Greek findings tonight, and end with the Bladerunner soundtrack on Audio Fidelity (damn! I just saw the going price for one of those!). Hmm . . . I plan on selling some stuff on Discogs this summer, but better keep that one for a while.

So sad. My friends think one of my weird quirks (there are definitely others, lol) is that I love 60s / 70s Greek rock. Each time I'm in the Plaka, I visit the flea market near the subway station where you can find lots of cool music, and from various compilations I was turned on to various bands and musicians from the same early era as Vangelis. But none of them matched the BLADERUNNER soundtrack!

He went out in a blaze of glory, so to celebrate I'll dig into some of my Greek findings tonight, and end with the Bladerunner soundtrack on Audio Fidelity (damn! I just saw the going price for one of those!). Hmm . . . I plan on selling some stuff on Discogs this summer, but better keep that one for a while.
Being raised in Greece and a child of the 60s I also grew up listening to many Greek rock bands , mainly Socrates ..sigh… good and fun times .
Followed Vangelis’music through the years , Albedo .39 , Pulsar were early favorites. A true visionary , he never compromised his artistic ideals . Thrilled when he was widely recognized for Chariots of fire.
He hardly toured , almost never I think , I was lucky enough to see him live at UCLA’s Royce hall back in 1986… what a memorable performance .

They all live on through their recordings and music which is more than most of us......

ah, i shall live on through my upmixes and needledrops! 🥴 oh and i don't like to mention it but i recently refurbished the world's largest disco ball - that'll certainly contribute to my undying legacy! 😆

Back