Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I'll say one thing -- the BluRay is a mother*****er to rip. I had to try a variety of tools to finally grab the 5.1 lossless

(MakeMKV and Audiomuxer could not do it)

[EDIT -- this was in reference to the new Relayer BluRay release)

Last edited:
That is because it uses AACS 49. MakeMKV was updated last week or so to support AACS48, and a new version to support up though AACS 50 is supposed to come out in a day or two. Copy protection cat and mouse.

I'll say one thing -- the BluRay is a mother*****er to rip. I had to try a variety of tools to finally grab the 5.1 lossless

So what worked? I'll be wanting to do the same soon so any tips gratefully received!

I've run into that a few times on other BluRays - in fact, I've started going the DVD-A route when given a choice (unless there is a difference in content that matters to me). The additional content on the Relayer BluRay wasn't enough to make me go through the potential hassles. I really don't care about Needle Drops or Instrumental versions...

That is because it uses AACS 49. MakeMKV was updated last week or so to support AACS48, and a new version to support up though AACS 50 is supposed to come out in a day or two. Copy protection cat and mouse.

Yeah, a saw a note to this effect on the MakeMKV forums.

So what worked? I'll be wanting to do the same soon so any tips gratefully received!

I hit paydirt with a free trial of Ideal Media Solution 5.2.2. Its 'Blueray Ripper' function failed; but curiously the 'BluRay Copy' function didn't -- it displayed the tracks, and I was able to choose and copy the ones I wanted. But each track is a whole album..you have to make a cue sheet and split them with something like FOobar2k. (NB I didn't have to do that to grab the 2ch LPCM tracks)

Last edited:
I've been using DVD Passkey and Audiomuxer.

The only thing I've found annoying is that discs with BD Live seem to require you to have the internet turned on to be able to rip them.

I had no problems ripping the lossless 5.1 tracks using AnyDVD HD and DVD Audio Extractor.

I've been using DVD Passkey and Audiomuxer.

Unfortunately, the free version of DVD Passkey doesn't work with BluRay encryption above AACS v12. And the pay version (which does) is >$100 (as is the pay version of AnyDVD, though there is a 21 day free trial).

Btw I realize this discussion is incidental to the actual rating of Relayer BD, so if mods want to split it off into a separate thread, I'm fine with that.

Any DVD don't incorporate the latest decryption keys into the free release so it's hit and miss if it will work with any new BD. I may have to bite the bullet and buy a copy! :yikes

For 96/24 I use Any DVD HD with DVD Audio extractor for extracting LPCM 5.1 and simultaneously converting to FLAC. DVDAE seems only to be able to handle DTSHD MA up to 48/24 ( it will extract the 96/24 DTSHD stream but will only render it at 48/24) in which case I would use Audiomuxer for the higher resolution. For extracting in general, DVDAE is preferable as it will list individual tracks in each group along with available streams/codecs. In the case, of Relayer, this is simple as both LPCM and DTSHD MA are both available.

If you rip with DVD Audio Extractor using the 'direct demux' format, you will get the full 96/24 DTS output as a .dts file. That's what I do. It's only when you choose the 'wav' or 'flac' output that it strips it down to 48 kHz core.

For tagging purposes, I then convert the dts file to 'SPDIF wav/flac' with Audiomuxer (under the 'Tools' menu). All this does is wrap a header around the 96/24 dts file, which can be tagged when it's further converted to flac.

When bitstreamed from my laptop via HDMI, the files read at DTS 96/24 in my AVR's display.

If you rip with DVD Audio Extractor using the 'direct demux' format, you will get the full 96/24 DTS output as a .dts file. That's what I do. It's only when you choose the 'wav' or 'flac' output that it strips it down to 48 kHz core.

For tagging purposes, I then convert the dts file to 'SPDIF wav/flac' with Audiomuxer (under the 'Tools' menu). All this does is wrap a header around the 96/24 dts file, which can be tagged when it's further converted to flac.

When bitstreamed from my laptop via HDMI, the files read at DTS 96/24 in my AVR's display.

When you say DTS 96/24 do you mean lossless DTSHD MA 96/24 or lossy DTS 96/24?

DVD Audio Extractor can't extract Lossless DTS MA. What you're getting is just the lossy legacy core stream - in 48/24 if you go to FLAC directly in DVDAE, or in 96/24 if you direct demux to a .dts file and then convert it to FLAC in another program like Audiomuxer.

I did a lot of searching to find out why I couldn't get lossless DTS MA from DVD Audio Extractor and the answer I found was that because the program doesn't 'officially' support audio extraction from Blu-Ray that they didn't want to pay the DTS MA licensing cost, or at least not yet anyway.

If you want to rip the lossless portion of a DTS MA track you need to use something else. Personally, I use Audiomuxer and haven't had any problems with it - it's a little less user friendly in that you have to go through all the .mpls playlist files until you find the one with DTS MA, whereas with DVDAE all the audio streams and groups are presented in one menu with tickboxes and BluRay menu support.

So what do you guys prefer? 24/48 DTS max bit rate or 24/96 DTS max bit rate? Since it is a lossy format and the max bitrate is the same (1509) the 24/96 seems like a bad idea since there's a limited amount of bits with lossy dts...both sound great to my ears, just curious what others think.

I was able to do it with Audiomuxer + AnyDVD-HD. The only catch was that I couldn't extract the 5.1 LPCM for some reason (file size?). I had to extract the DTSHD-MA and convert that to FLAC. Every other program/playlist/whatever extracted without any drama.

I was able to do it with Audiomuxer + AnyDVD-HD. The only catch was that I couldn't extract the 5.1 LPCM for some reason (file size?). I had to extract the DTSHD-MA and convert that to FLAC. Every other program/playlist/whatever extracted without any drama.

If I understand the problem correctly my recollection is that the solution to this is to use an "edited" version of eac3to.exe.

Do you think I can find that anywhere on the internet right now?

At least I have been able to successfully rip the 5.1 bonus tracks from "Drums & Wires" to either make a separate DVD-A of the bonus tracks or make a custom DVD-A with album and bonus tracks on one disc (either one for Acura use) :)

Back