Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate ripping Blu Rays, they suck, so much work compared to DVD-A, DTS, SACD. They don’t deliver better Dynamic Range, bitrate, or sonic quality. They do deliver more shit, that’s for sure. Bring back everything in DVD-A., lyrics, a few pictures what more do I want.

'Blu Ray' is not a separate audio format. A Blu Ray disc could contain any audio format that exists as PCM or decodes to PCM (i.e., all except for DSD). Their main feature is the amount of data they can hold, so what they can deliver above DVD(A) is better video quality (which requires very large files), and more compactness (everything fits on one disc).

The industry never wanted us to be ripping DVDA, or SACD, or BluRay discs in the first place, so it's a bit silly to complain that they aren't making it *easier*.

'Blu Ray' is not a separate audio format. A Blu Ray disc could contain any audio format that exists as PCM or decodes to PCM (i.e., all except for DSD). Their main feature is the amount of data they can hold, so what they can deliver above DVD(A) is better video quality (which requires very large files), and more compactness (everything fits on one disc).

The industry never wanted us to be ripping DVDA, or SACD, or BluRay discs in the first place, so it's a bit silly to complain that they aren't making it *easier*.
It’s a bit silly to complain that I’m complaining.

I really could use some help here. I'm trying to rip the Chicago Quadio Blu-ray discs. I haven't had any problems with any other Blu-ray discs except these. I first make an unencrypted backup on my Mac using MakeMKV (Can't use MMH on a Mac)...no sweat. Then I use DVD AudioExtractor to rip the quadraphonic tracks. When I go to play the ripped files on my Oppo 205, all it outputs are the front two channels. Nothing comes out of the rears. What comes out of the front channels is not a downmix, just the actual fronts as recorded in the quadraphonic tracks. Here are scans from DVDAE:

DVDAE1.png

DVDAE2.png

I think it strange that the first page shows DTS (192kHz 6Ch) yet the second page only allows up to 4 channels. I suspect that the two "missing" channels are causing the problem? Anyone encounter this problem before and have a workaround? Thanks.

I think it strange that the first page shows DTS (192kHz 6Ch) yet the second page only allows up to 4 channels. I suspect that the two "missing" channels are causing the problem? Anyone encounter this problem before and have a workaround? Thanks.

There aren't any missing channels- the Chicago Quadio discs are actually authored in straight 4.0, there's no empty center/sub channels. I've ripped quite a few 4.0-authored tracks (DSOTM Blu-Ray, various Quad-to-DVD-A conversions, etc) with DVDAE and I haven't seen this problem before.

Usually when I have problems with DVDAE I'll just use AudioMuxer instead- does that exist on Mac?

Also when I ripped the Chicago Quadio and Doors Singles discs I downsampled them to 96/24- saves a lot of space on my drive and I don't hear any difference.

There aren't any missing channels- the Chicago Quadio discs are actually authored in straight 4.0, there's no empty center/sub channels. I've ripped quite a few 4.0-authored tracks (DSOTM Blu-Ray, various Quad-to-DVD-A conversions, etc) with DVDAE and I haven't seen this problem before.

Usually when I have problems with DVDAE I'll just use AudioMuxer instead- does that exist on Mac?

Also when I ripped the Chicago Quadio and Doors Singles discs I downsampled them to 96/24- saves a lot of space on my drive and I don't hear any difference.[/QUOTE]

I'm suspecting that the problem may have something to do with the 192kHz sampling rate on multi-channel. I tried to play some of
Chicago Quadio again later this morning and suddenly there were all four channels playing; but then the Oppo stopped altogether about 20 seconds into a song. Rebooted and it played fine but froze up at the end of another Quadio track. Weird. It seems to be getting confused. Had no problems with any other material on that hard drive. I'll try re-ripping one of the Quadios to 96/24 instead of 192/24 and see if that alleviates the problem.

These fancy machines can be finicky...that's why there are always firmware updates. Most of the time, my Oppo 205 won't fast forward FLAC or WAV, but once in a while it does.

I ripped all the Chicago Blu Rays (Quadio Box Set) in the MKV/MMH combo they rip all as 4channel. I have had zero ripping and tagging issues with them. They playback as 5.1 and if I remember was a bit of controversy when they came out. When listening I zero the audio from the center channel.

I ripped all the Chicago Blu Rays (Quadio Box Set) in the MKV/MMH combo they rip all as 4channel. I have had zero ripping and tagging issues with them. They playback as 5.1 and if I remember was a bit of controversy when they came out. When listening I zero the audio from the center channel.

What AVR and player are you using marpow?

I'm suspecting that the problem may have something to do with the 192kHz sampling rate on multi-channel. I tried to play some of
Chicago Quadio again later this morning and suddenly there were all four channels playing; but then the Oppo stopped altogether about 20 seconds into a song. Rebooted and it played fine but froze up at the end of another Quadio track. Weird. It seems to be getting confused. Had no problems with any other material on that hard drive. I'll try re-ripping one of the Quadios to 96/24 instead of 192/24 and see if that alleviates the problem.

I haven't had trouble with 192kHz 4.0 files on two different Oppos, but one thing I'd try in your situation is using the official FLAC version to re-encode the files. Sometimes files created by third-party software can be a bit of trouble.

Also, are the files fed to your player via an attached drive of some sort or are they coming over the network? Wired? Wireless? Even at that bitrate, FLAC shouldn't strain the network too hard, but maybe for some reason it's struggling. If you are feeding it via the network, maybe try a USB drive for the trouble files just as a test.

All that aside, I'd guess that downconverting to 96kHz won't cause any audible issues and if it works, enjoy!

Some AVRs don’t recognise 4.0 FLAC and play only as stereo (Denon for sure). You need to add a silent center channel (5.0) or C and LFE (5.1)

Edits: Early morning here no glasses...

I'm using the Oppo 205's DACs and analog outs, so the receiver is seeing an analog signal, not FLAC. I would assume that any processing problems are within the Oppo. Also, I re-rippied a few Quadio cuts in 96/24 vs. 128/24 flac and have not had any problems...at least with this little test.

Have you ever said "Fuck Yes"? Well I said fuck yes tonight. I started a project on paper 2 years ago, and as of this writing I have finished, never finished but in a good place. I have two hard drive back ups and I am happy. I have ripped SACD, then DVD-A, then DTS, then BD and I have been stoned, drunk, and sober for the last 2-3 months, I rip every day, yes, I didn't mention CD's but they are in the mix also. If I have time I'll show you a picture of about a 1000 discs on my floor, all HI Res. I am very organized to the point of perfection and my end result is spectacular. The people on QQ, Kal for SACD, Himey and Homer for the rest has been fantastic. I have a ton of notes and I can help anyone that would like to do what I did. Patience and vision is all you need, as I have encountered 1000 mistakes, but I just didn't let it bother me and I pushed forward, every day and mostly on the weekends as my job takes me away from home. There is equipment, software, hardware things that are overwhelming, but let me help you assuming it is PC. You can't think, I am going to rip discs and just do it, it is much more complicated than that. You can be afraid and you can push forward. If you are a person who questions the legal repercussions of ripping all I can say is I bought every note, I ripped every note for me only (ease of playing). As of this writing I have no intention of sharing my rips or selling my discs, so fuck you if you think differently of me.
So let me help you in layman's terms, if you know zero about Audio/PC but you would like to have your collection at your fingertips, I believe I can help. If I can't help there are super duper smart people on QQ.
Peace and love to everybody.

Last edited:
Congrats marpow!

Now take the time to put your feet up, relax and listen to EVERYTHING! That’s gonna take a lot longer than the three months of ripping/conversion.
Thanks for that, I think I put the pedal to the metal the last couple weeks because next Tuesday I am getting arthroscopic hip surgery and I’ll be down for a couple days. I think I will have to re teach myself to not listen to a whole album at a time, now I can just press a button and listen to one artist and another, what a great concept in surround, stereo or mono.

So let me help you in layman's terms, if you know zero about Audio/PC but you would like to have your collection at your fingertips, I believe I can help. If I can't help there are super duper smart people on QQ.
Peace and love to everybody.

Thanks marpow. Can we clone a Mac version of you? Also a Mac version of MMH would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for that, I think I put the pedal to the metal the last couple weeks because next Tuesday I am getting arthroscopic hip surgery and I’ll be down for a couple days. I think I will have to re teach myself to not listen to a whole album at a time, now I can just press a button and listen to one artist and another, what a great concept in surround, stereo or mono.

I tend not to listen to whole albums (except ‘Recently Added’). I like to create playlists and listen to them, usually themed. Or I’ll just start browsing through artists/albums/genres or years and add songs to current playlist.

It’s the best new toy I’ve ever owned! Any song from any album I have instantly playing. If someone had told me I could buy that 20yrs ago I would have doubted it possible and thought it would cost a fortune if it was. Now it’s an affordable DIY project!!

... Also a Mac version of MMH would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

I’m still looking at having a go at doing something on a MAC. It will be a deep learning curve and some tools will be easier than others to convert but I’ll give it a go in early 2019. Probably start with the easier tools which will include convert MKV to FLAC, resampling and modifying channel layouts. I’ll put a call out here on QQ for testers.

Back