Ripping bluray audio discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlantasteve

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I have the chicago and doobie brothers box sets. I downloaded MKV and Handbrake. I first use MKV to make a copy. However, it is one file instead of broken down to several chapters. Handbrake then does its job but the file is not separated by song titles. Is there a way to rip a Blu-ray audio disc so that I can choose which song I want to hear instead of the whole album?

I have the chicago and doobie brothers box sets. I downloaded MKV and Handbrake. I first use MKV to make a copy. However, it is one file instead of broken down to several chapters. Handbrake then does its job but the file is not separated by song titles. Is there a way to rip a Blu-ray audio disc so that I can choose which song I want to hear instead of the whole album?
I use Xrecode 3 to extract the tracks.

Ffmpeg or music media helper.
Mmh is much easier to use and you can easily extract the stream you want. Great thread here on how to use it.

Different route is make a back up of the bd-a using MakeMKV and use DVD Audio Extractor to rip the individual tracks. It has links to the freedb for song titles.

I use DVD Audio Extractor for ripping DVD and BD disks Into flac files. Seems to work well. Does MakeMKV offer superior quality.

I use DVD Audio Extractor for ripping DVD and BD disks Into flac files. Seems to work well. Does MakeMKV offer superior quality.

No, same data. Backing up the entire Bluray ISO with MakeMKV first can just make DVD AE run faster, but that's about it.

I back up/decrypt the BD with MakeMKV and then DVD AE to convert the titles I want to FLAC.

No, same data. Backing up the entire Bluray ISO with MakeMKV first can just make DVD AE run faster, but that's about it.

I back up/decrypt the BD with MakeMKV and then DVD AE to convert the titles I want to FLAC.
I am struggling to get a decrypted backup from MakeMKV that DVDAE can use. Either the file isn’t recognized (greyed out) or it isn’t decrypted. I am using a Mac, but could try a PC if I had to. Any typical noobie mistakes here?

DVD Audio Extractor vs MakeMKV: MakeMKV can also deal with any video (and its free)

Music Media Helper (free) can split and convert MKV files to FLAC, WAV, mka (and tag) and can also store Atmos streams in a .m4a file for tagged Atmos playback in media players like Kodi.

I am struggling to get a decrypted backup from MakeMKV that DVDAE can use. Either the file isn’t recognized (greyed out) or it isn’t decrypted. I am using a Mac, but could try a PC if I had to. Any typical noobie mistakes here?

I think there’s an option somewhere to ‘decrypt’ output. Check the preference/options.

I use MakeMKV or DVDFab to make a copy of the whole Blu-ray, then I use AudioMuxer to extract or encode to FLAC.

EDIT: Forgot rename with Ant-Renamer and tag with Mp3tag

Last edited:
Like others I use MakeMKV to back-up the disc but unlike others I keep the single continuous audio stream and navigate each individual song/track using a separate .cue navigation file.

After backing up the disc I use gMKVExtractGUI to extract the native audio bitstream(s) and create a .cue navigation file. Sometimes I might re-encode the extracted audio bitstream to say, FLAC but more often than not I keep the original. Then I manually add track names to the .cue file and amend various other information. Much like this: -
Code:
PERFORMER "Rush"
TITLE "Moving Pictures (DTS-HD MA@96/24)"
REM DATE 1981
REM GENRE Progressive Rock

FILE "Moving Pictures.mka" WAVE

TRACK 01 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Rush"
    TITLE "Tom Sawyer"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Rush"
    TITLE "Red Barchetta"
    INDEX 01 04:36:00
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Rush"
    TITLE "YYZ"
    INDEX 01 10:49:00
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Rush"
    TITLE "Limelight"
    INDEX 01 15:15:00
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Rush"
    TITLE "The Camera Eye"
    INDEX 01 19:39:00
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Rush"
    TITLE "Witch Hunt"
    INDEX 01 30:36:00
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Rush"
    TITLE "Vital Signs"
    INDEX 01 35:21:00

Then I use MKVToolNIX GUI to mux the audio stream into the .mka container.

The resulting 'audio only' muxes play great in my OPPO via USB connected HDD or NAS via SMB networking protocol. Many software players understand .cue navigation files too.

Admittedly it's a fair bit of work but it suits me fine ;)

I use exclusively for Blu Rays, stereo, surround and video ripping:
MKV for the initial rip, then I use MMH (Music Media Helper) for the tagging, pulling chapters out of video, changing MKV to FLAC for audio files, using video with with Atmos files or not, everything I can think of.
Everything goes into my NAS and eventually my JRiver used as the player.
I have been using this process for 5-6 years now, never once have I had a problem.
In fact it actually amazes me how many on QQ go other routes for Blu Ray ripping.

MMH will create a CUE for a MKV or MKA with chapters and can get the track names from MusicBrainz online database or copy and Paste from a track list,.

I use MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor on a Mac to rip Blu-rays and create FLAC or ALAC files, and it works fine. In fact I just finished doing this for the Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point Blu-ray which finally arrived in my mailbox today. (As as side note, I also used DVDAE to create stereo files to put on my iPhone for on-the-go listening, down-mixed from 5.1, and they're very dynamic, unlike the brickwalled versions on the CD or streaming stereo.)

Here are the detailed steps I follow:
  1. Put disc in Blu-ray drive and wait for it to be scanned
  2. Start MakeMKV; wait for it to scan the disc - do NOT “open” the disc by clicking the graphic
  3. Click the Backup icon on the MakeMKV toolbar (NOT the MakeMKV icon)
  4. Make sure the “Decrypt video files” option is checked, and change the output directory if needed, then click OK and wait for completion
  5. Start DVD Audio Extractor
  6. Change the “DVD source” drop-down to Folder, then click the folder icon to the right of the field
  7. Select the folder created from the MakeMKV backup (the root folder, not one of the sub-folders or files), then click Open
  8. Click the pencil icon to the right of the folder icon, then click “Download metadata from db”
  9. Click through the Titles in the upper-left box to find the one(s) containing the song tracks as Chapters (if the metadata download in the last step didn't work, you may have to guess based on the number of chapters in the title and the length of each chapter)
  10. Click "Select All" above the chapter numbers, or click to select the individual tracks desired (uncheck any unwanted Titles on the left that my have been selected by default)
  11. Click to select the desired format / number of channels in the lower-left box
  12. Click the Next> button, then select the desired output format (such as FLAC or ALAC), the desired sample rate (normally "Same as input"), number of channels and bits per sample
  13. Click the Next> button, then select the output location (create new folder if needed)
  14. Click the Next> button, then click the Start button
  15. When it completes, check the output files to verify they came out as expected

Last edited:
I use MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor on a Mac to rip Blu-rays and create FLAC or ALAC files, and it works fine. In fact I just finished doing this for the Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point Blu-ray which finally arrived in my mailbox today. (As as side note, I also used DVDAE to create stereo files to put on my iPhone for on-the-go listening, down-mixed from 5.1, and they're very dynamic, unlike the brickwalled versions on the CD or streaming stereo.)

Here are the detailed steps I follow:
  1. Put disc in Blu-ray drive and wait for it to be scanned
  2. Start MakeMKV; wait for it to scan the disc - do NOT “open” the disc by clicking the graphic
  3. Click the Backup icon on the MakeMKV toolbar (NOT the MakeMKV icon)
  4. Make sure the “Decrypt video files” option is checked, and change the output directory if needed, then click OK and wait for completion
  5. Start DVD Audio Extractor
  6. Change the “DVD source” drop-down to Folder, then click the folder icon to the right of the field
  7. Select the folder created from the MakeMKV backup, then click Open
  8. Click the pencil icon to the right of the folder icon, then click “Download metadata from db”
  9. Click through the Titles in the upper-left box to find the one(s) containing the song tracks as Chapters (if the metadata download in the last step didn't work, you may have to guess based on the number of chapters in the title and the length of each chapter)
  10. Click "Select All" above the chapter numbers, or click to select the individual tracks desired (uncheck any unwanted Titles on the left that my have been selected by default)
  11. Click to select the desired format / number of channels in the lower-left box
  12. Click the Next> button, then select the desired output format (such as FLAC or ALAC), the desired sample rate (normally "Same as input"), number of channels and bits per sample
  13. Click the Next> button, then select the output location (create new folder if needed)
  14. Click the Next> button, then click the Start button
  15. When it completes, check the output files to verify they came out as expected
I do pretty much the same.

In my experience, step 7 is where new folks often get stuck. You need to make sure you pick the root folder, not one of the sub-folders or files.

I’m using makemkv on my macbook for the first time in a while, it’s out of date and when trying to download the updated version it’s taking forever for a tiny file, I have the macbook setup to allow apps from unknown sources, anyone have any idea why it’s taking forever?

Update, it took 1 hour 40 minutes to download a 40mb file, I can download a movie from netflix in 5 seconds, wish I had an idea what the problem was

Last edited:
I’m using makemkv on my macbook for the first time in a while, it’s out of date and when trying to download the updated version it’s taking forever for a tiny file, I have the macbook setup to allow apps from unknown sources, anyone have any idea why it’s taking forever?

Update, it took 1 hour 40 minutes to download a 40mb file, I can download a movie from netflix in 5 seconds, wish I had an idea what the problem was
It should not take that long, even with my archaic 5/2 internet service. Perhaps an issue on the MakeMKV server's end?

Back