Ripping CD-4: Advice Please (Stylus/Cartridge, 24/192 Conversion)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll go down the analog demodulation path for now.
I just like the idea of having the compatibility, if you had the raw 2ch rip, you could still play it in regular stereo(on the go with headphones) or play it through the demodulator when you want to hear the quad or adjust the seperation controls without having to keep using the record. These are just my priorities though(which are usually backwards) :)

the album is superb! the Quad mix is good, with active pans and generally pleasing placement. you have the Quad disc anyway, PM me anytime for info on Flacs, etc.
It is. A real bargain bin favourite, Deaf School seem to have been more or less forgotten and are probably due a reappraisal. They must have sold reasonably well in their day as you still see their albums in the 2nd hand shops.

I just like the idea of having the compatibility, if you had the raw 2ch rip, you could still play it in regular stereo(on the go with headphones) or play it through the demodulator when you want to hear the quad or adjust the seperation controls without having to keep using the record. These are just my priorities though(which are usually backwards) :)
I see what you mean but I'm not sure that's workable anyway. A listenable stereo file would have RIAA applied and so wouldn't work through the demodulator, and I gather reversing RIAA damages the carrier signal and will also introduce an additional conversion stage. In the event that I do get a compatible deck and cartridge I'd certainly want to give Sound Lab a go for CD-4, but also digital RIAA and matrix decoding.

4. I would like to capture these at a minimum of 24/192 via USB 2.0, but my digital mixer only handles stereo analog to digital conversion. I envisage that there is an old soundcard or digital mixer that can capture 24+/192 in four or more channels simultaneously and wondered if anyone could recommend something I might pick up cheap on eBay.
I'm not sure how other folks have done them, but I've used a DAW multi-track interface. Take all the outs from the demod and use converters to XLR cables.

I set the turntable (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon) up when I bought it according to the manufacturer's guidance, but given it's been a few years, I'll be replacing the cartridge, and the necessity for precision when using CD-4, I'll do it from scratch when I get a new cartridge - there were no protractors involved first time round!

Some are sealed, but they're mostly pristine. I'll dust them down, or wet-clean them if necessary.

I'm in the UK so CD-4 is mostly imports. I'll maybe focus on Japanese in future if this project works out.

Sadly the set-up disc was missing, but they're easily available second-hand so I should be able to fine a good one. I'll check the forums for reliable titles to get me started, but I have to say it was a surprise to discover that CD-4 doesn't just work out of the box and needs to be tuned. I'd presumed that given it is discrete, there would be full separation rather than a trade-off between that and sound quality.

Looks like I'll have to keep my eyes open for old stock AT440MLs unless someone reviews the replacements. As a beginner it's probably unwise to procure legacy stylii as I'm not sure I'd be able to identify degradation as the weak link in a completely untested setup.

I've checked online and all Linn interconnects are low capacitance.

I checked out the Behringer UMC-404HD and it does support 4 x 24/192. It's around £100 new so hopefully I'll be able to pick one up even cheaper second-hand.

Unfortunately my receiver doesn't support multichannel analog input so unless I replace it I'll never know the pleasure of putting on a quadraphonic LP, but I've got a few records that haven't been made available on the quad scene, so I'm really looking forward to hearing some of those long-lost mixes.

I've just been reading about the Stereo Lab softward decoder and it looks really interesting, and I'll probably give it a go in the future, but it cost around the same as a second-hand audio interface, so I'll go down the analog demodulation path for now.
I dont know exactly what it would take to accomplish but you could digitally record the raw 2ch output from the cd-4 and the play it back through a reverse preamp into the demodulator. I have wanting to do this but I dont have capture device or audio software and my turntable is a pioneer pl12d, I know that others have done this in order to use stereolab cd-4 software demodulator.
I tried this with a 96kHz/24 bit Marantz portable recorder. It seems to work but I question if it makes sense, here is why: in magnetic replay, the output of the cartridge roughly doubles (or up 6dB) every octave. CD-4 involving approximately 11 octaves, the supersonic CD-4 frequencies will be output to the recorder about 66dB louder than the lowest audio frequencies, so perhaps in the 100dB+ area.

24-bit presumably has this wide a dynamic range. Still, it is loading the system in an inappropriate way, it seems to me.

Let me know if I am wrong in what I wrote above.

My plight with CD-4 has been a contentious one. Years ago, I never had any issues. Now that I've resurrected my collection, my original Technics turntable and bought a vintage quad receiver, (Sansui QRX-7001,) I've had lots of issues. My original Shure M24H cartridge needed a new stylus and the two replacements I purchased were awful. Fine for stereo but not for quad. But I finally found a NOS one and it's very good. I also bought a JVC 4MD-20X cartridge that just happened to be available with a brand new 4DD-5 demodulator. Both were unopened and, although the cartridge is fine, (it's actually a rebranded Audio Technica 14s,) the demodulator wouldn't turn on. I had a local shop recap it, but it's still iffy with decoding.

Bottom line is, IMHO, you might want to search out SACDs (or similar discs) of your few albums rather than mess with the CD-4. It might be cheaper in the long run.

My plight with CD-4 has been a contentious one. Years ago, I never had any issues. Now that I've resurrected my collection, my original Technics turntable and bought a vintage quad receiver, (Sansui QRX-7001,) I've had lots of issues. My original Shure M24H cartridge needed a new stylus and the two replacements I purchased were awful. Fine for stereo but not for quad. But I finally found a NOS one and it's very good. I also bought a JVC 4MD-20X cartridge that just happened to be available with a brand new 4DD-5 demodulator. Both were unopened and, although the cartridge is fine, (it's actually a rebranded Audio Technica 14s,) the demodulator wouldn't turn on. I had a local shop recap it, but it's still iffy with decoding.

Bottom line is, IMHO, you might want to search out SACDs (or similar discs) of your few albums rather than mess with the CD-4. It might be cheaper in the long run.
As I was only planning on setting up CD-4 for digitising my preference was always for a professional transfer, but I'm not sure any of those titles have been released officially.

am I too late? Are you still alive?
Ripping the Quadradisc is simple.
I did it with my 120 songs and play it back from a cheap media player to get a clean Quadradisc sound without any loss.
No problems, except with the typical vinyl problems.

am I too late? Are you still alive?
Ripping the Quadradisc is simple.
I did it with my 120 songs and play it back from a cheap media player to get a clean Quadradisc sound without any loss.
No problems, except with the typical vinyl problems.
I don't rip anything. I long ago dumped my windows computer. Total Chromebook now.

Back