Ripping Disc Comments From XTC Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any dual core pc and 4gb of ram and your fine. The speed limit is the bluray drive reading the data from disc. The upgrading ram and processor only benefits encoding which is minor when it comes to audio (pcm to flac). Video encoding large video files (movie) is where you save any real time upgrading processor.

Any dual core pc and 4gb of ram and your fine. The speed limit is the bluray drive reading the data from disc. The upgrading ram and processor only benefits encoding which is minor when it comes to audio (pcm to flac). Video encoding large video files (movie) is where you save any real time upgrading processor.

Still nice to have the horses.

I disagree in that even if you have a Blu-Ray drive (which I have an old Sony VAIO laptop just for that reason alone) most all Blu-Rays released nowadays need to be decrypted through some sort of program (like MakeMKV) before they can be ripped into audio files in a program like DVD Audio Extractor.
Whereas for DVDAs or DVDVs, I pop them right into either computer of mine (my Sony VAIO or MacBook Pro), and I can start the ripping right away.

Yeah I don't mind the extra decryption step or keeping an old computer around just for working with Blu-Rays, but for this particular release, we should have a DVDA version, just like we had for the other XTC, Yes, and King Crimson releases.
An installed copy of AnyDVDHD or similar will make that "Extra" decrypt step for BDs completely transparent. Basically, it inserts itself between the player/ripper and the BD content and does the decrypt on-the-fly with no user intervention. Works great - and makes BD ripping just as easy as DVD-A ripping.

Unfortunately, AnyDVDHD is not an option for Mac, so it looks like it'll have to be some combination of MakeMKV and DVDAudioExtractor. Is there a step-by-step guide for Mac users anywhere? Again, the goal would be to go from Blu-ray to an ISO that can be burned to DVD-A.

An installed copy of AnyDVDHD or similar will make that "Extra" decrypt step for BDs completely transparent. Basically, it inserts itself between the player/ripper and the BD content and does the decrypt on-the-fly with no user intervention. Works great - and makes BD ripping just as easy as DVD-A ripping.

Yup!

Bumping this thread, as I am now trying to rip the 5.1 form the Blu-ray on a Mac and burn to DVD-A myself. I have a Blu-ray drive ordered from Amazon.

I've got MakeMKV to extract and decrypt the audio form the Blu-ray, and DVD Audio Extractor to convert it to WAV. What I can't find is any software to burn the DVD-A.

DVD-Audiofile does not work with 5.1 files. Discwelder Bronze has been abandoned and will not launch on a current Mac. I have an app called Burn from Sourceforge, but the DVD-A discs I've tried to burn are only playing silence (I'm not sure if 5.1 is supported).

It would seem my only option remaining is to install a Windows emulator like WINE and purchase Cirlinca. It seems rather complicated, but I'll do it if I have no other choice.

Can someone please help me? Thanks in advance!

AnyDVDHD will not work on the latest Blu Rays.

You might want to make sure you have the latest updates. I run AnyDVDHD and am current on all of the latest BluRays - it works perfectly

How do I update? I tried to rip Fragile and Octupus but it would not work.

You should be receiving automatic version update notifications for the term of your license. Go to the SlySoft download page for AnyDVD, click on the download link it will update you to the latest version 7.6.4.0

I finally did it! I created a perfect 5.1 DVD-A of Oranges and Lemons in true MLP 24/96 on a Mac. Honestly, it was the hardest thing I've done in a long time, considering I started with none of the software or know-how. Just finding some of this software was a challenge in and of itself, since DiscWelder Chrome II and MLP Encoder are long discontinued. And I've never tried to run Windows on my Mac. Anyway, here's how to do it:

- With a Blu-ray drive plugged in via USB, make a backup of the entire disc (decrypting video in the process) using MakeMKV.

- Use DVD Audio Extractor to extract the 5.1 LPCM to 6 individual WAVs for every track.

- Running Windows XP using VMWare Fusion, launch Surcode MLP Encoder and convert the 6 individual WAVs to one .mlp file for each track.

- Using DiscWelder Chrome II, create the disc with the 15 .mlp files.

- Burn to disc (DO NOT TRY TO CREATE AN IMAGE... IT WILL NOT WORK)

So that's it. From what I gather, this is the ONLY way to do it in true 24/96 for all channels. I listen to most of my surround music in my Acura ELS system, so DVD-A is a must. I was devastated when it was announced that O&L would not be released in DVD-A format, but I finally figured out how to do it myself. If you need help, just drop me a line.

Hmm, what Blu-ray should I rip next...?

I finally did it! I created a perfect 5.1 DVD-A of Oranges and Lemons in true MLP 24/96 on a Mac. Honestly, it was the hardest thing I've done in a long time, considering I started with none of the software or know-how. Just finding some of this software was a challenge in and of itself, since DiscWelder Chrome II and MLP Encoder are long discontinued. And I've never tried to run Windows on my Mac. Anyway, here's how to do it:

- With a Blu-ray drive plugged in via USB, make a backup of the entire disc (decrypting video in the process) using MakeMKV.

- Use DVD Audio Extractor to extract the 5.1 LPCM to 6 individual WAVs for every track.

- Running Windows XP using VMWare Fusion, launch Surcode MLP Encoder and convert the 6 individual WAVs to one .mlp file for each track.

- Using DiscWelder Chrome II, create the disc with the 15 .mlp files.

- Burn to disc (DO NOT TRY TO CREATE AN IMAGE... IT WILL NOT WORK)

So that's it. From what I gather, this is the ONLY way to do it in true 24/96 for all channels. I listen to most of my surround music in my Acura ELS system, so DVD-A is a must. I was devastated when it was announced that O&L would not be released in DVD-A format, but I finally figured out how to do it myself. If you need help, just drop me a line.

Hmm, what Blu-ray should I rip next...?

Way to go. I love your determination and the feeling of satisfaction when you play it back in your car makes it all worthwhile and makes it that much more enjoyable.
Good job!

Thanks Jon. There is one problem, though, and it's REALLY weird: While a song plays, the clock on the display advances at half speed. Then when the song ends, the clock resumes at normal speed and keeps going with silence playing until it reaches the track length. Then it goes on to the next track.

I can't imagine why this is happening, and I'm desperately trying to figure out the issue. My guess is it has something to do with running DiscWelder Chrome II on Windows through a Mac. Something must be throwing the causing it to burn strangely (even though it plays fine other than the above issue).

Any ideas?

I actually ended up making 5 DVDAs today for car playback. "THRAK" and "Fragile" were copies of the DVDAs I purchased, while I made custom discs of "Rattle That Lock", "Octopus", and "Oranges & Lemons". Can't wait to hear what they will all sound like in that environment! :)

I actually ended up making 5 DVDAs today for car playback. "THRAK" and "Fragile" were copies of the DVDAs I purchased, while I made custom discs of "Rattle That Lock", "Octopus", and "Oranges & Lemons". Can't wait to hear what they will all sound like in that environment! :)

Cool! How'd you do it?

Cool! How'd you do it?

Same as I have always done since I started making DVDAs for car playback.
I extract the audio as WAV files using DVDAudio Extractor, then I take those interleaved WAV files and burn a DVDA with the Cirlinca program.
There's an additional step before all of this with Blu-Rays where I have to make a decrypted copy of the disc and then take that decrypted copy on the computer and use that to rip the audio from it to make the interleaved WAV files.

Gotcha. The only drawback I discovered to that method is that you don't get full 24/96 on all channels unless you use MLP Enocder. But that won't matter to most people.

Thanks Jon. There is one problem, though, and it's REALLY weird: While a song plays, the clock on the display advances at half speed. Then when the song ends, the clock resumes at normal speed and keeps going with silence playing until it reaches the track length. Then it goes on to the next track.

I can't imagine why this is happening, and I'm desperately trying to figure out the issue. My guess is it has something to do with running DiscWelder Chrome II on Windows through a Mac. Something must be throwing the causing it to burn strangely (even though it plays fine other than the above issue).

Any ideas?

instead of making individual MLP files, one per song, try making a large complete album MLP file, then when you break it down in Chrome to make the DVD-A, just insert track points off the first track to create the remaining tracks. You will need the timings but you can get those from looking at the large wav file before you encode it.

That's how I do it and it always works, although I don't use a Mac! :)

Back