Ripping DTS Cd's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova74

Hi,
I'm currently in the process of ripping my entire cd collection to a large network server. Wav's are compressed using FLAC and DTS files are left as is.
I have about a dozen DTS cd's (mostly quad conversions). I use EAC to rip all my music. One thing I've noticed, is that all my DTS files are missing a split second at the beginning of each track. It really is anoyying on songs that transition into the next.
It must be EAC, but I have no idea why, because all my other wav files ripped fine. Another reason that I'm led to believe it's EAC is because DTS files I've dowloaded play back fine. It's just dts that I rip from cd.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

Have you tried another ripper? CdEx, for example?

I've had a lot of problems with EAC. I once swore by it, now I don't use it anymore.

I use the ripper built into Adobe Audition now.

Hi,
I'm currently in the process of ripping my entire cd collection to a large network server. Wav's are compressed using FLAC and DTS files are left as is.
I have about a dozen DTS cd's (mostly quad conversions). I use EAC to rip all my music. One thing I've noticed, is that all my DTS files are missing a split second at the beginning of each track. It really is anoyying on songs that transition into the next.
It must be EAC, but I have no idea why, because all my other wav files ripped fine. Another reason that I'm led to believe it's EAC is because DTS files I've dowloaded play back fine. It's just dts that I rip from cd.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

How is that working for you...

I wanted to get one of those servers to do just what you are doing but I was afraid that things like live cds or something like Dark Side Of The Moon would have breaks betweem the tracks. Is that your experience??

Here's my setup:

400 Gb Network Drive to (via Cat5)

Xbox (Hacked with XBMC) to (optical out)

Yamaha 7.1 Reciever

Works great! None of my other albums have any kind of break whatsoever.
I bought the Xbox for gaming purposes, but I soft modded it for this use. It's slick because it passes all the audio as PCM or DTS, DD, etc digitally to the receiver. Another nice feature is that I can encode all my music to FLAC. The Xbox Media Center decodes this and outputs it as PCM.

The main reason I did this is so that I didn't have 600+ cd's sitting in my livingroom. The Xbox hack was very easy. I'm not good with computers, but the online directions were pretty much no fail.

The only issue I've had so far is the DTS issue, and that is a ripping problem rather than a playback problem.

If anyone has any questions about a project like this, shoot me a PM and I can at least start you in the right direction. The other great thing about this setup is the cost. It was much cheaper than buying a Media Center storage device.

Ryan

PS. I'll try a different ripping program and see what happens.

How is that working for you...

I wanted to get one of those servers to do just what you are doing but I was afraid that things like live cds or something like Dark Side Of The Moon would have breaks betweem the tracks. Is that your experience??

I'm using a Squeezebox and it has an option for gapless playback that works perfectly.

I also rip my DTS discs with EAC and don't have any problems. However, I often miss the first note of the first song only as my receiver switches to DTS. I also flac the DTS files (lowest compression as you can't really compress DTS files) just so that I can tag them.

Back