• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Ripping My Discs

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

ThomC

Since 2002/2003
So I would like to rip the 5.1 audio off of the many discs I mixed back in the day.
(I never kept the original Hi-Rez files... Professional ethics and all that...)
Any MAC software that anyone could suggest would be appreciated.
I am looking to rip DVD-V (Dolby), DVD-A(MLP), and SACD(DSD).
I can go analog but I'm hoping there might be a more efficient way to do it.

Bender

I know this is a bit odd, but as a Mac guy, I use VMWare's Fusion to change the mac to run as a PC, then use DVD-Audio Extractor and Cirlinca's HD Solo. It keeps working. I don't know what to do when that all dies with updates.
I ultimately rip to DVD-A, but once you get to extractor I think you have the file formats in anyway you like.
(btw- thank you for your hard work and excellent mixes on so many titles and tracks - I really appreciate it)

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
DVD-Audio Extractor” is the way to go for all PCM-based formats (Blu-Ray, DVD-V, DVD-A). Though to rip Blu-Ray, you need an additional program called "MakeMKV" to get rid of the copy protection. You get a 30-day free trial of DVDAE, then it's a one-time fee of $35 for the software license. Totally worth it, IMO.

If you don't want to pay the fee, there is another free app called "DVD-Audio Explorer" that will rip any DVD-A to .MLP files, which can be converted to 5.1 FLAC or WAV with a variety of other programs (AudioMuxer, Foobar200, etc)

To rip SACD, you need a compatible Oppo or Sony Blu-Ray machine and a free java application called "SACD_Extract". See this thread for further details.

ThomC

Since 2002/2003
hi ThomC :hi

we currently have the following mixes credited to you in the QQ list of Notable Multichannel Music Engineers

View attachment 40760

are there any other mixes of yours that we can add?
Ummm... Well it's been a really, really long time....
Shawn Colvin - Polaroids
Billy Joel - Essential
Jessica Simpson - ??? (a couple of things IIRC)
Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father
Rod Stewart - standards thing
Crossfade - Crossfade
Jennifer Lopez - ???
Mudvayne - ???
Korn - ??? DVD-V
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Couldn't Stand the Weather (might not have come out)
Some singles by Shakira, Incubus, Korn,
Um Um Um...A shitload of live stuff...
Who knows what else? I certainly don't remember!
I come on here to find out myself!
:)