Ripping My Discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomC

Since 2002/2003
So I would like to rip the 5.1 audio off of the many discs I mixed back in the day.
(I never kept the original Hi-Rez files... Professional ethics and all that...)
Any MAC software that anyone could suggest would be appreciated.
I am looking to rip DVD-V (Dolby), DVD-A(MLP), and SACD(DSD).
I can go analog but I'm hoping there might be a more efficient way to do it.

I know this is a bit odd, but as a Mac guy, I use VMWare's Fusion to change the mac to run as a PC, then use DVD-Audio Extractor and Cirlinca's HD Solo. It keeps working. I don't know what to do when that all dies with updates.
I ultimately rip to DVD-A, but once you get to extractor I think you have the file formats in anyway you like.
(btw- thank you for your hard work and excellent mixes on so many titles and tracks - I really appreciate it)

DVD-Audio Extractor” is the way to go for all PCM-based formats (Blu-Ray, DVD-V, DVD-A). Though to rip Blu-Ray, you need an additional program called "MakeMKV" to get rid of the copy protection. You get a 30-day free trial of DVDAE, then it's a one-time fee of $35 for the software license. Totally worth it, IMO.

If you don't want to pay the fee, there is another free app called "DVD-Audio Explorer" that will rip any DVD-A to .MLP files, which can be converted to 5.1 FLAC or WAV with a variety of other programs (AudioMuxer, Foobar200, etc)

To rip SACD, you need a compatible Oppo or Sony Blu-Ray machine and a free java application called "SACD_Extract". See this thread for further details.

hi ThomC :hi

we currently have the following mixes credited to you in the QQ list of Notable Multichannel Music Engineers

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/TabbedEngineers.htm
5CA89680-10B9-49B1-80A5-EDE1FBB105C8.jpeg

are there any other mixes of yours that we can add?

hi ThomC :hi

we currently have the following mixes credited to you in the QQ list of Notable Multichannel Music Engineers

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/TabbedEngineers.htm
View attachment 40760

are there any other mixes of yours that we can add?
Ummm... Well it's been a really, really long time....
Shawn Colvin - Polaroids
Billy Joel - Essential
Jessica Simpson - ??? (a couple of things IIRC)
Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father
Rod Stewart - standards thing
Crossfade - Crossfade
Jennifer Lopez - ???
Mudvayne - ???
Korn - ??? DVD-V
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Couldn't Stand the Weather (might not have come out)
Some singles by Shakira, Incubus, Korn,
Um Um Um...A shitload of live stuff...
Who knows what else? I certainly don't remember!
I come on here to find out myself!
:)

I was looking for a thread to post what I am doing today. I need to get caught up on my ripping so today I have 6 SACD, 1 DVD-A, and 6 CD's. No problem I am good at ripping all formats.
My problem is I just can't seem to get my head around MQA. To the point I am just going to rip my 4 MQA discs as CD's.
I assume that if I rip to FLAC even though FLAC is a copy of what the rip is, it won't unfold the MQA, plus I don't have an MQA DAC.
For all the research I have done, you need a capable MQA DAC and only availabe as 2 channel DAC's.
If I just had a stereo only system it would be easy, but with a MCH system, I would need two DAC's. One the MCH DAC which is RCA into the MCH inputs of the AVR.
I think then I would need to put a MQA DAC, 2 channel, using XLR or RCA stereo inputs to the AVR.
The other option is a MQA streamer and just listen to what Tidal offers in there Master files, but I find hard discs ultimately better than any kind of streaming.
Oh well, thinking out loud here.
I have been stumped many times before.

I was looking for a thread to post what I am doing today. I need to get caught up on my ripping so today I have 6 SACD, 1 DVD-A, and 6 CD's. No problem I am good at ripping all formats.
My problem is I just can't seem to get my head around MQA. To the point I am just going to rip my 4 MQA discs as CD's.
I assume that if I rip to FLAC even though FLAC is a copy of what the rip is, it won't unfold the MQA, plus I don't have an MQA DAC.
For all the research I have done, you need a capable MQA DAC and only availabe as 2 channel DAC's.
If I just had a stereo only system it would be easy, but with a MCH system, I would need two DAC's. One the MCH DAC which is RCA into the MCH inputs of the AVR.
I think then I would need to put a MQA DAC, 2 channel, using XLR or RCA stereo inputs to the AVR.
The other option is a MQA streamer and just listen to what Tidal offers in there Master files, but I find hard discs ultimately better than any kind of streaming.
I have been stumped many times before.

AFAIK, Markie, MQA is ONY two channel. I did note that even classical Norwegian Label, 2L, is releasing ATMOS BD~A's with an accompanying MQA encoded CD as are a few other labels. All I know at present, is that the OPPO 205 is the ONLY Universal player which decodes MQA.

IMHO, MQA is not worth the bother.
AFAIK, Markie, MQA is ONY two channel.
I have a number of MQA multichannel recordings (as well as the hi-rez originals) and, even so, MQA is not worth the bother.
Yes, there is no currently ANYTHING that does MCH MQA.
There is but you have to make a great effort and expense to accomplish it. IMHO, MQA is not worth the bother in stereo and certainly not in MCH.

IMHO, MQA is not worth the bother.

I have a number of MQA multichannel recordings (as well as the hi-rez originals) and, even so, MQA is not worth the bother.

There is but you have to make a great effort and expense to accomplish it. IMHO, MQA is not worth the bother in stereo and certainly not in MCH.
I know you are right Kal. Many of the MQA's I have in SACD anyway. I think it is just the gear head in me that wants to conquer this issue. I am sure with time and money I would end up, like you, just not worth it.
Maybe just get the Sigma Streamer and be done with it. Listen to Tidal master when I have the MQA itch.

Back