Ripping of SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend was going to give me his old first gen. PS3, but now it looks like I should instead get one of these cheap second hand Sony's. I see those BX59's all the time at thrift stores for cheap. Does it matter if the firmware has been updated on one of these units?

A friend was going to give me his old first gen. PS3, but now it looks like I should instead get one of these cheap second hand Sony's. I see those BX59's all the time at thrift stores for cheap. Does it matter if the firmware has been updated on one of these units?
No

So turns out I already had a BDP-S590 in my garage that I'd picked up at a thrift. So what version of this ripping software do you recommend that I use?

So turns out I already had a BDP-S590 in my garage that I'd picked up at a thrift. So what version of this ripping software do you recommend that I use?
Should not matter. The branch version right now has a newer GUI which may help selecting rip options. ( sacd_extract-0.3.9.3-107 & SACDExtractGUI) of course if you're a command line kind of guy you could forgo the GUI I think.

Could you elaborate on the two suggestions and would one easier to use than the other?
One is a graphic interface, used with a mouse. you click to select things.
The other uses a command line, you type in cryptic attributes. there is no graphic interface.

Use the GUI option. GUI interfaces are almost always "easier"

Do you have the IR remote for that unit, or if not do you have any Sony Blu-ray player IR remote?

Thank you for all the replies so fare. I would preffer to rip boath the stereo and surround tracks, but surround is most important to me, because I already have the stereo on the CD layer.

Be wary that some SACDs have a different mastering on the DSD stereo layer than on their CD layer. (Dark Side of the Moon 2003 SACD, Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline...)

OK, so I'm thinking about buying a Sony BDP-S790 for the SACD ripping, because it's the only compatible model I can find here in Denmark. However, I just checked the list at Hi-Fi Haven, and it says this about the BDP-S790:
BDP-S790 * (requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version/S790 variant)
What does this mean? Do I have to download a separate auto script to use this machine, and if that's the case, what do I do. Can I still use SACD Extract GUI?

Thanks in advance.

I just checked the list at Hi-Fi Haven, and it says this about the BDP-S790:
BDP-S790 * (requires Sony ARMv7 AutoScript version/S790 variant)
What does this mean?
It means that machine uses a specific version of the AutoScript. Just read Page 2 of that thread and you will see a post with the download links to the various different AutoScript versions, including the one for the S790.
Can I still use SACD Extract GUI?
Yes of course, the AutoScript folder is simply placed on a USB flash drive for use in the Blu-ray player. The SACDExtractGUI is what you use on the PC to extract the ISO or DSF (or both) from the SACD to the PC over your network. Note that SACDExtractGUI is just the front-end Java applet that allows you to point and click instead of use a command line interface (CLI). The actual ripping engine that SACDExtractGUI instructs is called sacd_extract, and is a seperate download.
Not a bad idea to read the thread at HiFi Haven by doing a search for S790, or maybe BDP-S790.

I'm thinking about buying a Sony BDP-S790 for the SACD ripping
Does this offering include the IR remote control? You will need one to access the player's Settings menu. Any Sony Blu-ray player remote will work (they all use the same IR commands and are not model specific) as would a universal remote with Sony Blu-ray player IR codes.

Does my Sony BDP-S590 need to be connected to my wifi in order to do this? I'm having issues connecting it to our Google fiber router.
Yes, either Ethernet or WiFi should work, but Ethernet is more stable/not prone to interference issues.
Did you go through the network setup steps with the S590's on-screen displayed menu?

I did but it seems to only want to connect using the WPS function. I'm not seeing were it lets me log in using my password. I've recently switched to Google fiber and don't see where I can connect using the WPS function.

I did but it seems to only want to connect using the WPS function. I'm not seeing were it lets me log in using my password. I've recently switched to Google fiber and don't see where I can connect using the WPS function.
I have no idea about WPS and Google fiber, but the S590 has a network setup screen in the OSD settings menu. It is there where you choose to setup for either Ethernet or WiFi, and you have to follow that setup completely by using the side arrow on the remote to advance each step until done.

Back