Ripping of SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I've been unsuccessful in ripping an SACD disc. I've been mainly using the info on this PS Audio post:

https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/down-the-rabbit-hole-of-sacd-ripping-and-dsd-extraction/
I've also followed this video:

The video makes it looks simple enough. I've downloaded the programs onto a flash but when I insert it into my Sony I get nothing.
Any suggestions?

I recommend you study this thread, as most issues have been gone over many times, as folks know with computers, any little detail that's left undone or that's off can prevent the action we desire. Sometimes it just takes getting down and dirty into details and work through it.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sony-blu-ray-players-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/

I recommend you study this thread, as most issues have been gone over many times, as folks know with computers, any little detail that's left undone or that's off can prevent the action we desire. Sometimes it just takes getting down and dirty into details and work through it.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sony-blu-ray-players-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/
I agree, that existing thread has the information needed for use with the Sony brand players.
I've downloaded the programs onto a flash but when I insert it into my Sony I get nothing.
Any suggestions?
As mentioned above, post in the existing thread for Sony Blu-ray players, and be prepared to provide a few more details than the above. It's tough to know what you mean by "downloaded the programs onto a flash", you'd have to be more specific than that.

Thanks guys! I'll go back over the instructions again. I have one question. Other than downloading the file needed to rip do I need to have the BR player hooked up to my computer?

Thanks guys! I'll go back over the instructions again. I have one question. Other than downloading the file needed to rip do I need to have the BR player hooked up to my computer?
I just don't remember about that; it seems I remember a newer method though that just rips directly to a flash drive (which I'm pretty sure I tested and it works if I'm not just dreaming it 🤨); best to read the thread, and if so, it's in there.

Again, the other existing thread is the best place for any questions, but to briefly answer your question here, the thing you are putting on the flash drive is not a file as you've described it above, it is a folder.
That folder is called AutoScript, and it contains 3 files. The article on Copper isn't all that great, it fails to cover some important details, including the one I just mentioned.
The reason your S590's disc drawer isn't opening when you insert the flash drive is that you don't have the AutoScript folder I'm describing.
Additionally, by your original description of what you've done, we have no idea where you even got the thing you put on the flash drive, but it is a folder and not a file that's necessary, and only one specific version of the AutoScript folder works with an S590.
The S590 must be connected not to your computer, but to your network. Yes you do have to go through that setup in the Sony's on-screen Settings menus, but I believe you said that had been done and you were successfully on your WiFi network. If so great, just jot down the IP address that your router has provisioned to that player, because you will need it for the ripping software that runs on your computer.
The existing thread here has the details for how to setup your computer to run the rips, however we'll need important details such as your operating system (Windows, Mac, or Linux), and some other particulars to get it up and running. It's not hard, but a cursory glance at a video won't get it done, and that Copper article is a suboptimal attempt at just paraphrasing the very informative HiFiHaven thread, it lacks some important details and is flat out incorrect on others from what I've seen.

Last edited:
No. It is a GUI that helps you use sacd_extract.exe to (1) rip the ISO from the SACD and (2) extract the DSD files from the ISO. Without the GUI, you would have to use command-lines for this.
There is a newer and better alternative: SACDExtractGUI

Hi Kal ~

I started a thread last month that was called "Questions about Sonore ISO2DSD." I began the thread by asking a question about employing the subject program to handle an ISO file, but that's not really relevant at this point. If you check out Post No. 4 of the thread, you'll see that a member posted a screen shot of the GUI I believe you were referring to in the quote above.

When I began experimenting with Sonore ISO2DSD, last year, I carefully copied/pasted/printed a copy of your article explaining how to "rip SACDs" using the Oppo player(s) BDP-103 and BDP-105 and, long story short, the experiment rendered what we were after (via our Oppo 105D).

Have you since written anything addressing the "...newer and better alternative: SACDExtractGUI"?

I'm asking because, without the written instructions I copied from your article -- combined with a set of instructions written by haggis999 in 2017 -- whom you also referred to in your article (thank you), I don't think that the SACD rip would've been possible.

If you haven't written anything about employing the newer SACDExtractGUI program, would you kindly direct me to where I can get them (if they even exist)?

I clearly see your point about the newer GUI. It looks much more intuitive than the ISO2DSD interface.

Have a good one ~
B&W

No mention of channel capacity. Should one assume it is stereo only?
Yes I would assume that, though the mention SACD ISO compatibility makes that unclear.
Since its freeware, giving it a try involves little more than the time ventured.

Back