DVD/DTS Poll Ritenour, Lee - 6 STRING THEORY [DTS 96-24/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Lee Ritenour - 6 STRING THEORY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new surround release from MONSTER MUSIC.

Thanks to elmer for starting this thread, which I have moved and turned into the poll entry.

6 string front.jpg
6 string back.jpg

Just picked up on this via the Yamaha Music web site. Concord Records and Monster Music will be releasing a guitar slinger compilation of newly recorded tunes (specifically for this project) for release in the Summer of 2010. Here's the blurb;

"We're happy to announce the album is underway. "Six String Theory" features superstar guitarists from the worlds of rock, blues, country, jazz/fusion, acoustic, and classical/flamenco... In December, 2009 we recorded tracks featuring Lee Ritenour, John Scofield, Mike Stern, and Keb Mo. This January we will be recording with BB King, Taj Mahal, George Benson, Pat Martino, Steve Lukather, Neal Schon, Guthrie Govan, and Andy McKee...The "Six String Theory" album will seek to continue this process by combining superstar guitarists from the worlds of rock, blues, country, jazz/fusion, acoustic, and classical/flamenco genres. Some of the great international guitar players will join together to blend their styles into a unique new "fusion". The album, on Concord Records and Monster Music, will be produced by Lee Ritenour and John Burk and released in the Summer of 2010. As the record progresses, we'll post updates on our blog section and you'll also be able to give us your comments on the album..."

If any of you have had the pleasure of listening to the latest Monster Music release, George Benson "Songs and Stories" (in DTS 96/24 surround) - you know what a spectacular mix that was. Here's looking forward to more.

Here's the official website;

http://sixstringtheory.com/

Thanks for the heads up on this. I am looking forward to a great listen.:smokin

Interesting and hopefully it will be really good. Monster Music releases so few of these, maybe one or two a year now for the last 4 years or so. I don't know how a company division can operate and do so little unless there are no employees for the specific division and Concord actually does everything and Monster just puts their logo on the disc and handles some marketing. It may be that Monster hires someone to mix the music and whoever it is goes back to their normal job for a year. Whatever the business is, it is unlike anything I have seen previously.

Chris

Interesting and hopefully it will be really good. Monster Music releases so few of these, maybe one or two a year now for the last 4 years or so. I don't know how a company division can operate and do so little unless there are no employees for the specific division and Concord actually does everything and Monster just puts their logo on the disc and handles some marketing. It may be that Monster hires someone to mix the music and whoever it is goes back to their normal job for a year. Whatever the business is, it is unlike anything I have seen previously.

Chris

I think the Monster 5.1 discs are the pet project of the owner of Monster Sound, and making a profit on these is not the main goal of their production. All I can say to him is "Thank You" and show it by buying the discs as they are released.

Indeed, at this point it might could just be a pet project of the owner. (And maybe it always was seeing as how Monster Music didn't seem to appear until the whole SACD/DVD-Audio thing was starting to wind down.) But originally I kinda figured it was maybe Monster hoped to sell more cables. Either way, it's nice to see the occasional disc.

Whatever happened to that Monster Disc that was supposed to have a rap artist on it? (I forget who.) Did that get released?

Whatever happened to that Monster Disc that was supposed to have a rap artist on it? (I forget who.) Did that get released?

That would be Theater of the Mind blu-ray by Ludacris supposed to get a release a year ago - I am afraid this one went MIA... too bad.

I just emailed Monster about the Ludacris blu-ray and they confirmed it was not released: "Unfortunately this was not released for purchase and we are working on new new programs." That's all they said. The second part of the statement is a bit ambiguous. Does this mean they are working on other programs besides blu-ray, working on other blu-ray programs, or working on other programs not related to surround music? I hope they continue to release things, no matter how sporadic. The double use of new, as in "new new programs" was theirs, I just copied and pasted. Is it a typo, or can we really expect "new new programs?" :rolleyes:

Another Monster Superdisc was supposed to be released last September by Anjulie. It hasn't come out yet, but I did find a Monster press release from January 2010 that said the disc was being released in the first quarter of 2010, so hopefully this won't go MIA like the Ludacris project. Looking forward to Six-String Theory!

I think the Monster 5.1 discs are the pet project of the owner of Monster Sound, and making a profit on these is not the main goal of their production. All I can say to him is "Thank You" and show it by buying the discs as they are released.

That makes more sense than anything I thought of.

Chris

According to the Concord website, the Anjulie Monster version was released on Oct. 20 and is available for purchase (via Concord at least). See link ;

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/artists/Anjulie/

I would contact their customer service directly (if I were you), just to confirm availability

Thanks for the link. I just ordered, after verifying it was in stock and was the correct version over the phone. The Monster Music site says no copies available for this title and Amazon has it listed as a pre-order, saying "a release date has not yet been set for this title." Here's a link to the Moster press release that says first quarter 2010, so you don't think I'm crazy :mad:@:

http://www.dba-pr.com/PDFs/Monster/CES 2010/Monster CES 2010 Anjulie HDS.pdf

Thanks for the link. I just ordered, after verifying it was in stock and was the correct version over the phone. The Monster Music site says no copies available for this title and Amazon has it listed as a pre-order, saying "a release date has not yet been set for this title." Here's a link to the Moster press release that says first quarter 2010, so you don't think I'm crazy :mad:@:

http://www.dba-pr.com/PDFs/Monster/CES 2010/Monster CES 2010 Anjulie HDS.pdf

No worries - hope you enjoy the music!

Looks like the SuperDisc version of 6 String Theory album is really happening, according to Monster Music website.
The ordering link appears to be not working yet though.

Looks like the SuperDisc version of 6 String Theory album is really happening, according to Monster Music website.
The ordering link appears to be not working yet though.

While I would love to buy this, I'll believe it when I see it. I never was able to get the Anjulie disc they supposedly released (see previous post by me). After being on continuous backorder with Concord since February, after showing it was in stock when I ordered it, I finally cancelled it. It still shows as 0 copies available on Monter's site. I fear that Six String Theory awaits the same fate. I hope I'm wrong.

Tell us how it is when you get it! The George Benson one was quite a surprise to me. Can't wait to hear more on this one!

I just received this disc yesterday and I love it. I've only had time for one listen all the way through, but there is a little bit of everything on the disc: finger-style, classical, R&B, jazz. A few standouts after first listen: "In Your Dreams" with Steve Lukather (reminds me a lot of Joe Satriani); "Why I Sing The Blues" with B.B. King, Vince Gill, Keb' Mo' and Jonny Lang; "It's Not Easy" with Joe Robinson; "Give Me One Reason" with Robert Cray and Joe Bonamassa. Looking through the list, every song was stellar in it's own way... and I'll throw out that word "discrete." There's lots of discrete here. I ordered it direct from the monstermusic site.

I've been listening to subscription mp3s of this album for the past couple of days, and I'm enjoying it immensely on a musical level. Often I buy surround discs for the sonics without knowing what to expect musically, but this is one I can't wait to hear in DTS 96/24.

This is like a master class in what a guitar can do. There are world-class performances of classical, blues, ragtime, new age, finger-style jazz, bebop, instrumental rock, fusion... the only styles missing are plain ol' rock and roll and folk. It's just plain brilliant. I can't wait to read the liner notes and see if I'm right on all my guesses of who played what.

If you don't get this surround disc... at least get the CD!!!

Back