Rob Reeds "sSupergroup" Kiama - new album with 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure it's DVD-V with DTS audio for the 5.1. I know Rob would have preferred loss-less but it's the age old problem of balancing his desire to get it out in 5.1 in a commercially viable way. Besides, I'm not that bothered as Rob has a well proven track record of making DTS sound way better than it has any right to. ;)

Ok, well I'll wait until people receive their copies and can confirm what kind of DVD it is before I hit the order button myself. Not sure if $28 is a worthwhile price to me for a DVD-V disc of unfamiliar music.

Pretty sure it's DVD-V with DTS audio for the 5.1. I know Rob would have preferred loss-less but it's the age old problem of balancing his desire to get it out in 5.1 in a commercially viable way. Besides, I'm not that bothered as Rob has a well proven track record of making DTS sound way better than it has any right to. ;)
As far as I know it does not matter to produce a dvd-v or dvd-a/v. Perhaps a bit more authoring and testing, but duplicating cost are the same.

I just got a reply from Rob at tigermoth productions. It's a dvd-v (dts); mastered by Neil Wilkes. This choice was made because there is a lot of video content and they didn't want to go the blu-ray route.

I just got a reply from Rob at tigermoth productions. It's a dvd-v (dts); mastered by Neil Wilkes. This choice was made because there is a lot of video content and they didn't want to go the blu-ray route.

Ok, that's fair enough. If they are fully utilizing the DVD space for video content, then that's perfectly understandable if they cannot squeeze lossless surround onto the disc as well. This is a different situation compared to other DVD-V releases last year (like "Premonitions", "Loaded", "Tusk", and the Opeth set) where they had the available space to make the discs into DVD-A/V discs and chose not to.
Let's hope however that "Sanctuary II" is also DVD-A/V like its predecessor. :)

As far as I know it does not matter to produce a dvd-v or dvd-a/v. Perhaps a bit more authoring and testing, but duplicating cost are the same.

There's a lot of video content on the DVD, as others have now pointed out, so it would have necessitated a shift up to BD or multiple discs to do everything.

The video content is actually very, very good and I really enjoyed watching them: Tastefully filmed and edited recordings of the songs performed "live-in-studio", plus some rougher acoustic sets performed in an open, rural setting. Like most people on this forum I would have preferred the space to go to high res audio, but I respect that the artists have to make a choice about appeal across the whole of their fan base. We're still quite a small proportion, but it feels like the appeal of 5.1 is growing, particularly with this kind of music. :)

I am fine with DTS DVDS. There is no Noticeable difference between DTS 24/96 and MLP of the same bitrate. As long as it is 24 bit I am happy.

This arrived in the post today, yippee, the 5.1 new year gets off to a flying start.

CCF21016_0000 (1280x1166).jpg

This arrived in the post today, yippee, the 5.1 new year gets off to a flying start.

Please let us know how this one is. I've skipped out on this one for the time being, but I always enjoy reading opinions from others on new releases. :)

I am fine with DTS DVDS. There is no Noticeable difference between DTS 24/96 and MLP of the same bitrate. As long as it is 24 bit I am happy.

Are they ever of the same bitrate? DTS (lossy compression) is usually much lower bitrate than MLP (lossless compression).

Did you mean bit depth and sample rate?

Arrived today; scratched disc trying to take it out of cardboard.

Mine arrived today, but it had two of the bonus CD's and no DVD. I'm sure they'll send me a replacement, but disappointed I'll have wait to hear the 5.1 mixes.

Mine arrived today, but it had two of the bonus CD's and no DVD. I'm sure they'll send me a replacement, but disappointed I'll have wait to hear the 5.1 mixes.

Damn, that sucks.....I had something similar happen a year ago. Only it was a CD and DVD-Audio disc...and they sent me 2 DVD-Audios....LMAO, which was fine by me. I gave the duplicate to my buddy. :)

Damn, that sucks.....I had something similar happen a year ago. Only it was a CD and DVD-Audio disc...and they sent me 2 DVD-Audios....LMAO, which was fine by me. I gave the duplicate to my buddy. :)

They replied to my email in about 5 minutes and said they will send me the DVD asap. Mistakes happen, great service.

OK - so I guess I pre-ordered this without any memory of doing so. That being said.....I appreciate Rob Reed...so not a stretch. Just plopped in the DVD 5.1 DTS. It ROCKS, and it rocks hard. Tons of bass...not the best fidelity I've ever heard...but damn. If you like progressive ROCK...and you want to jam. Get this disc. WE don't have too many titles that will sound this good, with this much of a hard edge rock sound.

Love it....good stuff.

OK - so I guess I pre-ordered this without any memory of doing so. That being said.....I appreciate Rob Reed...so not a stretch. Just plopped in the DVD 5.1 DTS. It ROCKS, and it rocks hard. Tons of bass...not the best fidelity I've ever heard...but damn. If you like progressive ROCK...and you want to jam. Get this disc. WE don't have too many titles that will sound this good, with this much of a hard edge rock sound.

Love it....good stuff.

I would say this is not prog rock at all. I am very disappointed with it.

Back