ROBB KUNKEL - ABYSS with ED MICHELS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadtrade

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
There is a very rare quad lp with a great story behind it. While researching this lp, the full story of the label was addressed by Robb himself. This is a great album and our old buddy Ed Michels produced it. Very immersive and wonderful mix and a great LP. Here is the story, lots of players we all have heard about before. Enjoy!!

http://www.lysergia.com/LamaWorkshop/Tumbleweed/lamaTumbleweedBody.htm

Thanks for the link. This album is also discussed in the Acid Archives book as a collectible private press record. No mention of it being quad, the authors do mention quadrophonic recording on a few other records that had it, but this is not something they were looking for in the book.
I wonder , though, for a very small record company that only had , what 12 releases, did they buy an QS encoder and than only encode one record? Or was this mixed elsewhere? I suppose among all the bongs and brownies, no one noticed an invoice for a new Sansui QS encoder.....

This was recorded at Village Recorder in LA. This is where Ed did a lot of his blues and jazz albums. The encoder was in the rack. Well within the time frame Robb talks about, they all got paid. Ed brought in his buddies to have fun, probably off the Gulf Western dime. The back says recorded and mixed april june and october 1972. Great story.

This was recorded at Village Recorder in LA. This is where Ed did a lot of his blues and jazz albums. The encoder was in the rack. Well within the time frame Robb talks about, they all got paid. Ed brought in his buddies to have fun, probably off the Gulf Western dime. The back says recorded and mixed april june and october 1972. Great story.

Just FYI, this record/LP has been reissued and available at Light In The Attic for a reduced price. Limit to 600 copies, mine is 501.
No mention of QS on the cover or booklet of reissue. Original did have a line on the cover mentioning QS.
Reissue does sound like QS to me. No mention of a remix on the reissue.

There was no stereo mix so any/all releases will be QS (unless they've been badly mastered, of course)

Hiding in my local record store since 16th week of 2018 was a colored vinyl version of this.
Hiding so long they marked it way down. This is why they try to get you in the store for record store day.
So far as I know, it's the only colored vinyl quad record I own.

Attachments

• IMG_1923 (2).JPG
    IMG_1923 (2).JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 111
Back